Season 9 Discussion Thread [Warning: SPOILERS!!!!!]

Background Pony #2479
@Philweasel  
Well… Twilight will be an earth pony, Pinkie a pegasus and Fluttershy an unicorn. With the exception of Applejack, everypony will more or less keep their personality traits.
Background Pony #EEA5
I love the mane six too much to want them to go, but I also know that it’s been nine years and that in their current guise they’ve run their course. They need a shake up if they’re to stay.

A change in actors would go a big way towards that. As would a new world in a new context.
Background Pony #2479
@Latecomer  
Yep. We literally don’t have any new information, so let’s still consider the stuff from the 2017 leaks valid.
Background Pony #1716
@Background Pony #FD12  
The leaks also mentioned a third FIM special. Unless we’re counting the Behind the Scenes special coming with the finale, we didn’t get word of that yet. And odds are, if there’s another special, it’s gonna be Boulder Media.
Background Pony #EEA5
The mane six played by new actors with their dynamic mixed up would be enough for me.

Here’s an example; what if G5 Rainbow Dash had the same skill and passion for flying that G4 Dashie did, but…she’s a humourless, rigid, uptight sort. Entirely focused on training and with no time for joking around. I’m suddenly thinking of Simon Pegg’s character in Hot Fuzz; a highly decorated one man police force who at the start of the movie has no friends, a failing love life and is actually disliked by his colleagues. Imagine the same for rainbow…in fact…rainbow as a Pegasus version of season 1 twilight.

There’s an example of how they could keep the mane six but rework them.
Background Pony #1716
@Wiimeiser

I’ve had sources tell me (though they might not be legit) that Boulder MIGHT be keeping G4 alive by making specials while also doing G5. It sounds like a stretch, I know, but if G5 is gonna be appealing to the G4 bronies, Hasbro would wanna try to keep the G4 bronies on their side by releasing G4 content.

Money talks with Hasbro, and so do toy sales. And my theory is that the main reason why Hasbro disbanded their partnership with DHX is to transfer everything to Boulder, since Boulder is a Hasbro-owned company, which means it’s cheaper. I don’t think FIM ending means the end of G4 completely.

Even if there’s no specials coming, we’re 100% definitely getting more comics, at least up to 100! Maybe more!
Background Pony #C398
@Background Pony #8A54  
Wouldn’t be surprising if there was a third one. The thing going forward is that Hasbro is basically going to have 3 years without any kind of pony otherwise. On some level they’re going to have to keep some kind of awareness of the property going but yet at the same time would want the older generation to fade so as not to cause a direct comparison
Background Pony #EEA5
@Background Pony #8A54  
Yeah a big part of me thinks that FIM ending is more technical; they want to carry on with g4 but it’s been nine years and they need to shake it up a bit, and make it easier for new fans to get in, and they want everything done in-house now, so they might as well just end FIM.
Background Pony #1716
@Background Pony #357C  
It depends on how G5 turns out. If it turns out to be popular, then odds of G4 fading away would increase.

If G5 turns out to be a flop, Hasbro wouldn’t want to take any chances, and would hafta keep G4 running so they can still get high income coming in. So there’s a part of me hoping G5 doesn’t turn out good, but then again, it might surpass G4 by a long shot! So I dunno what I want!
Background Pony #EEA5
@Background Pony #8A54  
Makes sense. That’s the other thing about making a new cast…you’re taking a leap into the unknown and they could flop. The current mane six have ‘providence’.
Background Pony #C398
@Background Pony #8A54  
It’s not a question of how G5 turns out, it’s a matter of there being more or less 3 years where the franchise is “on ice”. 3 year of basically nothing, that’s a long time. That’s the time a whole group of kids that are about 8-9 turn 12 and are on the cusp of falling out of the show’s range, and the next group of kids don’t have that same awareness of the propriety.
Background Pony #2479
@Wiimeiser  
Sunset/Tempest actually, but Babs could be included in the list of inspirations for G5 Applejack if the production team though about it enough.
Background Pony #C398
@Latecomer  
A movie, according to the leaks, is in the works, which would likely have an August to October release date in 2021. But as soon as the movie’s out doesn’t mean the series instantly goes to air. If there is a movie, it would be several months before a proper series began, much like with Star Wars The Clone Wars, which would be around March to May of 2022, assuming they don’t hold off to the start of the normal season start which is in September
Background Pony #C398
@Latecomer  
2 at the very least, up to and likely 3. 2 years is the earliest best case possibility, not the worst case scenario
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide