Season 6 Episode Discussion [Speculation/Theories/Beware of Spoilers]

Goremise

@gingerninja666  
cough I was saying all this after the S5 finale ended and people trolled me cough  
xD

We got a new element of magic folks! Twilight ascended so she can’t be the element of harmony anymore, she’s got her own life to live

all welcome our new mane 6!
Williver
Artist -

“What have you been up to?”
“Oh, you know…trying to take over the world?”

Nope. She never tried to take over the world.  
The whole point of her villainy is that it was petty.  
The whole point of her running that village is that it only works on a small scale for especially depressed ponies who blame their life problems on their cutie marks, and even she knows it.

My idea is that Our Town was a highly inefficient village that couldn’t even produce enough crops to survive, and secretly performed magical assistance on that and many other aspects of life with your raw amount of magical energy, to appease the few dozen townspeople and make them believe that a productive society can exist with nothing but talentless blank flanks.

Eventually, she stopped recruiting new people into the village because even she has an upper limit to how much she can pick up their slack.

All that ranting about “EQUALITY!” during The Cutie Re-Mark was her lying out loud because it would sound better than explaining Twilight the truth of her motives for choosing a lifestyle in which she is the leader of a flock that adores her without having to out in the actual effort of learning much of anything about them, of ever getting particularly personal with anyone.

She personally doesn’t resent having a cutie mark herself. Even is there really was a Staff of Sameness with actual magical power, she never would use it on herself.

The part about “I CREATED HARMONY!” is more what she is about. Removing cutie marks to create Equality is just a means to achieve it.

One theory I have is that she believes that perhaps only one in forty or so ponies should have cutie marks, all of which must be unicorns whose talent is raw magical power, to compensate for the markless pleb ponies being mediocre at everything. So basically, she’d be a self-sacrificial feudal-lord of sorts who would exert a lot of magical-physical effort to keep the dumbass lemming flock alive and not starve to death.

She may have entertained the idea of getting Twilight Sparkle to start a neighboring village, given that even SG has upper magical limits to how much she can secretly assist a given number of ponies in a group.

Slightly better for her backstory to be about her being butthurt about someone else getting a cutie mark, ANY cutie mark, and them being shipped off to somewhere else (a school for magically gifted unicorns) as a result, instead of her getting a cutie mark and it being different from her friend resulting in different interests resulting in conflict”.

Not only that, but her cutie mark ended up being about magic and basically the same thing that Sunburst got. Well, we don’t know how she got it, and what pony peers were in her life at the time.

This is the reason why her equality philosophy is so flimsy and vague, and how she is somehow converted away from it.

In “Our Town”, she was basically a Great and Powerful Trixie who can never be upstaged because no one knew that she was magically gifted therefore no one could be a better leader or better pony at having magic as a talent.

Ironically, having different cutie marks would be the least offensive to her, at least, if no one else had a general magic cutie mark.

The whole point of forming Our Town was so that she’d never have to have a rivalry with another magically-powerful unicorn and get triggered from remembering Starburst leaving her.
Zebasiz
Bronze Bit -
Friendly Griffon - For helping others attend the fifth anniversary party
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Zeb> That's why yer female partner can use a trapon
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

@danielericiverson  
You make it out like she kept her Cutie Mark in order to be above the others, but weren’t we shown in the episode that she had kept it because she needed to be able to preform the Cutie Mark removal spell?

Aside form that, I don’t recall there being any evidence of her living above the others in the “she was basically a Great and Powerful Trixie who can never be upstaged” way you described.
Background Pony Number 17
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Calling it here – Sunburst is a changeling.

Think about it:  
- He’s a new character in the show who’s suddenly been pushed to the forefront. Almost nothing is known about his backstory except for Starlight Glimmer’s childhood recollections.  
- He lives in the Crystal Empire, but he’s not a Crystal Pony.  
- He has no apparent job. A “famous wizard” would certainly have some kind of employment.  
- He has an encyclopedic knowledge of magical theory, but claims little practical skill. The ideal cover for a changeling trying to pass for a unicorn.  
- He managed to work his way into Shining Armor and Cadance’s family, in a position that places himself VERY close to Princess Flurry Heart. The exact thing one of Queen Chrysalis’s scouts would try to do.

Now, the Sunburst we met in the season opener may be the real one, but the next time we see him, “he” won’t be “him.“ And Princess Flurry Heart will be in peril.
Williver
Artist -

Nope. She never tried to take over the world.
The fact her plan had no chance of succeeding doesn’t change the fact she wanted all of Equestria to adopt her ideology. I’d say that’s a pretty good indication she wanted to take over Equestria at some point.

Everyone adopting her ideology and literally taking over the world can be interpreted as two different things. Even she believed that, when actually applied to the real world, her system had limits in how effective it could provide for ponies. That’s why she had to keep her cutie mark.
Aurora Glimmer

Wow! Glimmer
@danielericiverson  
On the other hand, Starlight Glimmer said she wished there was a way she could’ve removed her Cutie Mark. Starlight Glimmer seems to have sincerely believed she could take over Equestria if she brainwashed Twilight Sparkle and the Mane Six. The fact that scheme had a snowball’s chance in hell of working is inconsequential: Starlight believed it could work. Likewise, Starlight believed her system was absolutely perfect and any failings were either the result of disloyalty, sabotage or outsiders conspiring against her.
Williver
Artist -

@Zebasiz  
You took that “Great and Powerful Trixie” part literally. She’s not literally a showboat.  
Keeping her cutie mark because she needed to be able to preform the Cutie Mark removal spell, when done in secret under the guide that the Staff of Sameness is doing all the work, would technically not make her above the others in a way that she could show off, but at the end of the day she still holds some sort of leader/town founder status.

It’s not like all these ponies got into that cave together, formed a circle and used passed around the Staff of Sameness together, bonking themselves or each other on the flank with it, like passing a goblet around, without any one leader, and Starlight was so humble as to subtly activate her magic while being present in that company of ponies without any of them noticing it is her magic that is doing it.

She’s obviously the one who wielded the Staff of Sameness herself for every Cutie Un-Marking.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
I wonder if Wizard is an actual certified position in Equestria.

They used it alot in these two eps and I think its the first time they ever mentioned it.
Williver
Artist -

@danielericiverson
On the other hand, Starlight Glimmer said she wished there was a way she could’ve removed her Cutie Mark. Starlight Glimmer seems to have sincerely believed she could take over Equestria if she brainwashed Twilight Sparkle and the Mane Six. The fact that scheme had a snowball’s chance in hell of working is inconsequential: Starlight believed it could work. Likewise, Starlight believed her system was absolutely perfect and any failings were either the result of disloyalty, sabotage or outsiders conspiring against her.

When did she say that? What exact lines were that. I just put on all the dialogue from “The Cutie Map” after she gets exposed as having her own cutie mark.
Zebasiz
Bronze Bit -
Friendly Griffon - For helping others attend the fifth anniversary party
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Zeb> That's why yer female partner can use a trapon
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

@danielericiverson  
My apologies.

While I wasn’t interpreting it as being as obviously showy as Trixie was. When I read that part of your comment I had interpreted it as you saying she was, in a way, reveling in her position above the others, while still maintaining an outward appearance of full Equality.

I am curious as to how you developed the different theories you mentioned. Such as:  
“One theory I have is that she believes that perhaps only one in forty or so ponies should have cutie marks, all of which must be unicorns whose talent is raw magical power…”  
“Our Town was a highly inefficient village that couldn’t even produce enough crops to survive, and secretly performed magical assistance on that…”

I understand you said they were theories, I’m just curious as to what drew you to them~
gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
Starlight just didn’t want to be alone. That’s how I always saw it. She was burned by cutie marks and thought she wanted to get rid of them, but the key desire of her character is companionship and an assurance that she would never be burned again. That’s why she dropped everything to go and ruin Twilight’s life. Twilight burned her and she likely had an inkling that what she was doing was full of crap so she put all her energy into revenge instead.

She wanted to take over Equestria in that she wanted to create a world where she would never be hurt again, and in her eyes she had the power to make it possible.
Poison Trail
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@Dustcan

About Scoot’s parents: “They both have demanding jobs and Scoots is good at evading her babysitter.”

I can go with that. Kinda surprised she answered the “Hooves or no hooves” troll at all.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide