Scootaloo being disabled

Pony Discussion » Scootaloo being disabled Search Posts
Background Pony #0BD8
eh, so recently I found out Scootaloo had been disabled the entire time in the show, however i am pretty sure that was a hit in the bump for all of the Scootaloo flying theories, which same goes to Scootaloo having parents knowing she isn’t actually an orphan. But this topic is about Scootaloo’s unability to fly. What do you think about Scootaloo being disabled? Anything to discuss about it?
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@Blissful690

It’s denial on multiple levels. Even aside from their denial that The Last Problem happened (it did, deal with it), do they think Scootaloo thinks for a nanosecond that she’ll ever fly?

From The Washouts:

Scootaloo: Just because I look up to you doesn’t mean I have to be you! But based on your definition of what makes somepony great, I have bad news. I’ll never be the best of the best or a Wonderbolt! Because I! Can’t! Fly! Is that what you wanted to hear? But not being able to fly doesn’t mean I can’t do something awesome!

Does that sound like someone who thinks it’s a matter of learning, or growing into them? No, the most logical conclusion is that the show is screaming to your face that she’ll never fly. It should’ve been clear it was probably the case in S4, too. And also from how Surf and/or Turf had her guess that “this must be like flying,” without a “I just can’t wait to learn how to do that” to offset it.

Lauren Faust wanted Scootaloo to be a disabled pegasus, and the show did exactly nothing to contradict that.

And wing size doesn’t matter as far as we can tell, because Bulk Biceps could fly with his disproportionately small wing size, Scootaloo can’t.
deactivatedfaafba

@AC97  
Scootaloo didn’t say she was never going to fly in that quote. She might not be able to be a Wonderbolt, not every pegasus is. That however is true, that being disabled doesn’t mean you can’t do something awesome. The scene in flight to the finish where Rainbow Dash encourages Scootaloo also shows that. But I do believe Scootaloo might fly someday. But if she doesn’t, then we’ll just stop our hopes and leave it be at that.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Okay, hear me out. This is some, as Tvtropes calls it, epileptic trees theory-ing here. We know pegasi fly from a combination of wings and magic. We know all ponies have some level of magic, including earth ponies.

What if, Scootaloo is an earth pony with vestigial wings.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
It’s likely they saw the wings and just assumed she was a pegasus. She had shown limited flight ability. They may have just thought she was a late bloomer.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DarkyBoode32

It’s taking character agency away from Scootaloo for her to only be saying that because Lightning Dust manipulated her into thinking that. It also doesn’t convince me you aren’t grasping for straws, when there’s also not a single quote that implies anything of the sort.

It is “Normal Scootaloo,” just momentarily pissed off at Rainbow Dash, and you have no proof “Normal Scootaloo” wouldn’t accept that she’ll never fly. You’re willfully ignoring implications in favor of your own views that have nothing to support them.

In short: assertions presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, and you don’t have any evidence whatsoever to support your claims, thus far.

@Brass Beau

Why can she stand on clouds without a cloudwalking spell applied to her, then, if she’s just an Earth Pony with vestigal wings?

I’d tend to think something along the lines of her pegasus magic is two-dimensional, when it should be three-dimensional, so while she can propel herself very quickly horizontallly (to the point of going faster than a speeding train while towing the other two Crusaders), she can’t fly for that reason.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
That does beg the question of whether Spike and other dragons can stand on clouds. Is it a winged species only thing, or is something more going on?  
Then there is the question that alicorns are implied to have the magic of all three pony species. Is it possible to have just two?  
And since Flurry Heart was a natural born alicorn, is it possible for such a hybrid pony to exist?  
Could her difficulty flying be a lack of the appropriate magic?  
The Cake twins show that pony abilities are as natural as walking, so what could prevent her from doing the same?  
Is it biological or magical?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
See previous post but to sum up:  
Q: Why can’t Scootaloo fly?  
A: She’s disabled.  
Q: What is the root of her disability?

Since that’s the thesis I’m working on (because I find it fun to theorize) we’d need to try and understand the biological/magical means by which a pegasus flies and how that could be interfered with.
deactivatedfaafba

@AC97  
Not normal Scootaloo for thinking that Rainbow Dash isn’t cool and joining the Washouts because Lightning Dust brainwashed her. The reason she was angry at RD was due to Rainbow Dash’s concern for her safety which she disregarded. Normal Scootaloo didn’t draw to a conclusion but was unsure of whether or not she would fly. I quote from Flight To The Finish: “What if my wings never grow? What if I never fly?” -Scootaloo  
Scootaloo was in the right mindset in that episode but wasn’t when she said the quote you replied with.  
Your reply to this will be invalid as I will not read it and my argument on this is now over with.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Q: assuming Scootaloo has a magically sourced handicap, what would explain her ability to stand on clouds?  
Theory: Creatures of Equestria have a natural limit to their magical capacity.  
Evidence: Tirek’s body grows to adapt to the increase of magical power. Cozy Glow similarly changes size when she gains Discord’s power.  
Theory: Ponies can have more than one type of magic.  
Evidence: Alicorns possess both a unicorn’s ability to cast spells and a pegasus’s ability to fly and stand on clouds.  
Conjecture: Scootaloo has limited pegasus and earth pony magic.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

and my argument on this is now over with.

…unironically using the word “brainwashed” to describe what Scootaloo was doing is just… well… huh.

Lightning Dust did nothing to manipulate Scootaloo’s inherent feelings about “will I fly,” Rainbow Dash drew Scootaloo’s ire by being unintentionally insensitive.

Rainbow Dash: Uh… Heh. Sorry that was a little… intense. I just wanna make sure you don’t get hurt. That way, you can follow in my hoofsteps. Heh. Everypony’s dream, right?
Scootaloo: More like “follow your wingflaps”.
Rainbow Dash: Same difference.
Scootaloo: [sarcastically] Thanks, super-talented flyer, for clearing up what I should do.

If you have a counterargument showing something Lightning Dust said about Scootaloo’s flightlessness, other than baseless assertions, go right ahead and show me.

I don’t see why merely being frustrated with Rainbow Dash would affect that thought process, if that’s the reasoning. I don’t think her sense of self is that fragile.

I quote from Flight To The Finish: “What if my wings never grow? What if I never fly?” -Scootaloo
Scootaloo was in the right mindset in that episode but wasn’t when she said the quote you replied with.

…You’re quoting S4 Scootaloo, which is a long time for her mind on the matter to change from unsurety (not even confidence that she would, back in S4), to surety in S8, and while Sweetie Belle has gone from learning to levitate objects in S4, to being able to cast Accelero in S8, Scootaloo has made no such progress, to the point that it’s prominent, and it’s especially notable when other pegasi around her age can fly, in contrast to how learning magic seems to generally be a less inherent ability for unicorns than flying is for pegasi.

Like it or not, Scootaloo most likely came to that conclusion by S8 on her own, that it wouldn’t happen, to argue otherwise is infantilizing her, and GUIHTD reinforced that (unless you’re grasping for straws; she was physically aged up magically, and to take it any other way than face value is unfounded headcanon… also, if you listen to their voices during that episode, you’ll notice they’re not artificially pitched up, when they’re aged up, all three of them, in contrast to how they usually are, so that earlier argument is invalid, about how “her voice was the same, so the same argument could be said about her wings”), as did The Last Problem (which did happen, contrary to your delusions), and a character’s “normal” can change, as was the whole point of, for one episode of many, Forever Filly.

And even if Scootaloo did ever fly under her own power, no glider or something to offset her issues (she’d make good speed with one of those, with her propulsion strength), it’d be really, really unlikely for her to be anything other than below-average, if not in the bottom ten percentile. I just don’t see any other way around it.

There’s probably a symbolic reason Scootaloo’s associated with chickens
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
I would prefer some evidence of Scootaloo demonstrating an affinity for the earth but nothing really comes to mind, though earth pony magic is already incredibly vague.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide