Princess sister episode

Zombie_Trotsky
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Theories aside, the Princesses are mostly “just there.” Luna was in the spotlight in Luna Eclipsed and played a decent role in Sleepless in Ponyville, but Celestia hasn’t been much other than a plot device.

This probably won’t change, but the advent of Princess Twilight made me think that the line between protagonist and ruler could be blurred. In particular, I really want to see what (or rather, if) Celestia and Luna do anything traditionally sisterly. I think it would have potential to be a neat character-building episode.

Could it work, and how so?
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
It could…but as I’m not a writer, I’m not sure as to it’s execution.

Hell, at this point, I think we need both a Celestia episode (for some history and alicorn exposition), and a Cadance Episode (to further explore her character)
Vlakc

@Ebalosus

I second this notion, The three princesses although secondary characters, deserve an episode centered around each, considering we have had an Spike episode and various CMC episodes I don’t see an excuse, much less with princess Twilight so close to them now. (but I won’t mind that much if they’re not made anyways XD )

But as Ebalosus said, I’m no writer, so no idea how it should be made.
lasty
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

dead to you
It could be as simple as a flashback. To Luna’s first full day back from being Nightmare Moon, for example, or what happened when Luna went home after Nightmare Night. Maybe it’s Celestia’s birthday and she wants to spend it with her sister or Cadence or both. Twilight is put to the test of shouldering the princess’ responsibilities, leaving Celestia and Luna free for a day. This could also be done with Cadence.
nyxabuse

I’ve been waiting for a Celestia/royal sisters episode since season one. It’d be nice to see her solving some minor-ish (non-world-threatening) problem by herself, or with her sister.

With the advent of Princess Twilight, it could even end with a letter: To my dear friend, Twilight Sparkle…
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

There has been talk among fans about a Luna/Celestia ep for a while now. I would like that. I think it would be nice to know what they do all day/night. I would be nice to see them putting their royalty aside and just acting like normal ponies and normal sisters.
ALIS

I want to see a coherent opposition that doesn’t want a monarchy. That wants democracy, to decide where their tax dollars go and have a say in what laws they should follow.

I want to see what Celestia would do with her money and power on the line.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Yes please with sugar on top D:

Not even a flashback episode, just the royal sisters spending time together.

Would so watch that D:
ALIS

@Nightweaver20xx

I wouldn’t say that. They have had lots of different serious subjects before. Like the Hearth Warming Eve story and Anti Zebra Racism. Right to rule and noble privilege would be an interesting one. Especially so soon after Twilight becomes a Princess herself.

Maybe she uses her position as both Royalty and her former Status of just a citizen to mediate between Celestia and the Democracy group to make a more fair government and stops a civil insurrection.
nyxabuse

@ALIS

The thing is, for all that the tyrant celestia/bitchlestia/molestia memes are hilarious, in the actual show she’s pretty much the mythical benevolent dictator. There is no reason for anypony to want to replace her with democracy.

That said, the earth ponies certainly do have some sort of democratic tradition, what with chancellor Puddinghead and Mayor Mare (in a town founded by earth ponies).

Anyway, I doubt the show’s target audience would appreciate a twenty-minute discussion about monarchy vs democracy; and it’d probably have to painfully simplified.
ALIS

@nyxabuse  
I find three issues with that analysis.

1. That it relies on Celestia being a Tyrant.  
  2. Celestia in the past has admitted she isn’t perfect in her rule.  
  3. That a show with this theme has to be boring. They’ve covered all sorts of good issues before in a funny way, it isn’t the plot it is the characters interacting.

Here is an example.

Some nobles like dukes and heralds want to make more money so they announce a new tax in Ponyville.

Applejack always close to losing the farm gets together with ponies Carrot Top, Rose, Filthy Rich, Lucky, the Apple Family and go to Mayor Mare. Mayor Mare agrees with them that this tax will hurt them. She takes it to the nobles who fire her and replace her with a Royal pain in the butt.

He gets kicked out of town and the whole town comes together and has a meeting where Mayor Mare is voted back in charge and says no more tax. Other cities follow and send ponies to Ponyville to talk about their new Mayors.

Celestia is at a loss and writes Twilight for help who responds that this is a good thing. Celestia feels a bit betrayed having ruled this way for 2000 year. The nobles convince her to send guards to arrest the new leaders which she does reluctantly. When the guards arrive Applejack and every pony else stands in their way and the guards don’t want to fight their fellow ponies and call Celestia to ask what to do, she does not know either and a standoff develops.

While Celestia mopes listening to the complaints of the ponies around her Twilight shows up and before she can say boo whisks her onto her chariot. They fly all over Equestria and talks to people who are not getting tax money for what they need like roads or are close to losing their business.

In the end Celestia realizes that perhaps the nobles are not the best rulers and that she can’t solve everyponies problem from her big castle on the mountain. She converts her tennis court to a place where all the new mayors can come and talk and compromise things with Celestia.

See perfect story for a kids show, simple, easy to understand and plety of room for character interaction, jokes and conflict. Did you think an episode like this would be written like a Yale law review? Serious topics can have a simple basis with conflict and friendship just like Bridal Gossip, Harth Warming Eve and the Diamond Dog one.
lasty
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

dead to you
@ALIS  
I was mostly with you until the ousting of the replacement for Mayor Mare hurt Celestia’s feelings. All the Ponyville citizens would need to do is explain why they ran him out on a rail and that he wasn’t good for the town. Also, it didn’t look like anyone was calling for her to be replaced, and the royal pain wasn’t even her idea. Why is she taking it personally? At worst, it’s someone else’s failed experiment and at best, it’s confirmation that her way is best.

I do like most of these ideas. An episode about a new mayor who’s more subtly corrupt than Trixie could be great, if only for any development of Mayor Mare and the new adviser characters. Princess Celestia facing something she doesn’t know how to deal with would make her seem less flawless, and I’m in favor of that happening about once a season. But I wonder if two sort-of connected episodes (new mayor is one, Celestia going around Equestria another) might work better. Doing both in 22 minutes would feel rushed.
ALIS

@lasty

Well for the first paragraph. Why she is taking it personally is

1. That it is her own nobility being deposed in world where they are treated as privileged and always have been.

2. That Democracy is something she has never dealt with and is being left behind, ponies making decisions without her.

3. Coming to terms that if local decisions gain serious prominence and ponies can openly challenge her policies and policy makers she has less control than she did before. Stain Glass Windows and white marble is expensive after all. That her own priorities might have to shift in her role away from what she likes.

I think the episode should be more about coming to terms with losing power and the subject of equality. Look at her nobility, they definitely don’t treat all ponies as equal and do have power. The principal conflict isn’t her trying to oppress her ponies but that heated situations have a tendency to spiral from control. That solutions came up with and planned by her can meet opposition which is something she hasn’t had in a while.

It isn’t that she is being evil, it is that she doesn’t understand the needs of ponies far from her. She doesn’t understand why this is happening or what to do about it. The advice close to her, IE the elites is bad advice and her actions are tempered by it.

The episode would be about needing to compromise and understand that total control can be a bad thing. The situation becoming an us vs them situation which is already a feature of the nobility adds urgency. It deals with that and the say of common ponies discerning their destiny.

I think it would be a good episode or episodes for Celestia. It would be about her learning from her ponies and from her newest princess. Learning about how to solve long ingrained problems we seen but that have gone unnoticed. Understanding that she should not try do it all or always have her way.

A growth episode for Celestia not a demonizing one.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide