Pony Venting Thread

Background Pony #9F99
One of these days I wish someone with some serious understanding of story structure and character would break down what’s wrong with Starlight’s transition out of villainy. I really enjoyed her character post reformation, but everything about The Cutie Re-Mark was just awful. Even knowing that, some people’s dislike of her clearly runs deeper than liking her more as a villain or finding her redemption underwhelming or a cop out.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I’ll take a stab at it.
The first problem is that Starlight isn’t presented as sympathetic until the episode is almost over. If you want to have a villain reform, then you have to set it up beforehand by humanizing the character.
The second problem is with Starlight’s backstory; it’s underdeveloped at best, and weak at worst. I’m willing to accept that her friend moving away because of events beyond her control was what lead to her need to be in control, but there’s a ton of connective tissue missing.
The third problem is that the episode ends on too bright of a tone. It should have ended with the sense that Starlight is on extremely thin ice, and will need to work very hard to redeem herself. It should not have ended with everyone singing and being friends.
But the elephant in the room is her plan in The Cutie Re-Mark. Specifically, the optics. Technically speaking, the bad timelines aren’t even that big of an issue. Either there’s only one timeline, in which case no harm done, really. Or, there are infinite timelines, in which case everyone has created bad timelines, and she just created a few more than everyone else. Plus, she wasn’t intentionally creating the bad timelines. So when you get right down to it, what she did wasn’t actually that bad.
Now, I can sit here and logically explain this. But at the end of the day, it still feels like Starlight nearly destroyed the world because her childhood friend moved away, and was just instantly forgiven for it.
But I’d argue that’s not even the biggest issue.

This should have been the moment Starlight gave up the fight. She’s the well-intentioned extremist, and this is the first time she has to confront the consequences of her actions and see the bigger picture. She should not need more persuading after this.
@Vivace
Speak of The Devil and he will appear.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
I’m still not a fan of the fact that in the Make Your Mark special, Sunny was so focused on ensuring that the festival goes through that she brushes off Zipp’s concern about the power crystal breaking down and going haywire. You would expect that someone like her who keeps having unexplained alicorn surges would see her point of view and at least try to probe further with the investigation, but I suppose we wouldn’t have a conflict at all.
Background Pony #EDB8
@DerpyFast
Not only that, even after that, she hypnotized the main 5, minus Twilight.
True, she was still working to make amends, but she should’ve at least listened to Twily.
Discord, oddly enough, had a much better redemption arc compared to Starlight.
@Mr.Myoozik
Maybe she didn’t know?
Background Pony #EDB8
The third problem is that the episode ends on too bright of a tone. It should have ended with the sense that Starlight is on extremely thin ice, and will need to work very hard to redeem herself. It should not have ended with everyone singing and being friends.
This was also the case for the sixth season finale, minus the singing part.
WaynePonePone
Fluttershy - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Gold Supporter - Gold Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
I don’t know about liking and disliking characters anymore. I feel like everytime I try to support or defend a character eventually they’ll be absolutely proven to be awful and it’s no longer right to like them anymore, and then when I dislike a character and try to point out their problems they’re always ignored. I’m so tired of discussing things and I don’t care about these ponies anymore. In almost 10 years of being in this fandom this is the first time I feel like giving up on it. I don’t know why I suddenly feel this way but it feels awful. At the end of the day this whole thing is fictional and the show is over anyway. I feel like I should take a break from talking about this show and worry about real life stuff. There is no point and I’m tired. I’m just gonna talk about how cute or hot characters are from now on.
WaynePonePone
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
Also it’s so weird to build 10 years of attachment to characters only to feel wrong to like them. Why do I feel like abandoning them right now? I don’t know. I don’t care. They’re not real.
WaynePonePone

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@Starponys87
Yeah, then you’ll begin to question whether or not your attachments were ever right and maybe you shouldn’t have been a fan at all, like ever. Good analogy. Abandoning it is.
Starponys87
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

Friends with Autism
@Just Wayne
I almost never became a fan. At first, I felt that the message of friendship was mostly a bad joke. But then the movie caught my eye, and I finally resisted boycotting it. It turned out to be one of the most inspirational movies I’ve seen, something that felt like some ’80s cartoons.
Then I learned about the developments in Season 8 – and how boys and other races were now connected to the Tree of Harmony as well. Finally, I felt like a full part of the magic of friendship. Season 8 was an improvement for me, since Seasons 1 and 2 turned me off in the first place. I guess most people who would feel like me never became bronies in the first place – since they never learned about those developments.
Is G5 what’s ruining things for you? (No spoilers please – just a “yes” or “no”.)
WaynePonePone

Flutters Hitchy Glimglam
@Starponys87
No, I like G5. Just some discussions are discouraging me. It seems characters I like are always being painted in an awful light and I don’t know how to feel anymore. I’m questioning my believes and my opinions and I kind of wanna get away from talking about the show for a while. I don’t know why I’m feeling like this. Maybe I’ve brought this upon myself and maybe it’s all catching up to me. I don’t know anymore.
Maybe the Mane Six, the CMCs, Starlight Glimmer, and whatever characters I like for 10 years are actually awful. Then I’m awful too for liking them. I don’t care anymore.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Mr.Myoozik
Thing is, the writers didn’t want to go and have it resolved too quick.
I get that and it would make for an unsatisfactory resolution sure, but it would still save the trouble of changing Sunny’s character for the purpose of the narrative. My idea for it instead is have Sunny juggle between the festival and Zipp’s investigation but overtime she starts to feel pressured by both her friends and Posey into choosing which one to go with in the hopes of preserving the magic.
@Mr.Myoozik
Tbf, There were people who criticized the changedling designs.
I know, I remember that night and day. It was a really big change than from what we were used to 4 seasons ago
Starponys87
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -

Friends with Autism
Why don’t you ask yourself, what do you seek in a friend? What can you live with and what would be a deal breaker?
Related question: What can you accept out of your own children before you decide you no longer love them?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide