Pony Venting Thread

Background Pony #F853
On that note, my most likely assumption on why she didn’t get a backstory may be related to the fact most of the villains that were redeemed had controversial ones. That and the other villains didn’t usually have em.
May be wrong on this, though.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

I’m just gonna say how… tedious discourse on That PonyTM is with some people is, to the point that I’m not sure I’m gonna bother at this point. (no, it’s not the one with red eyes)
this one’s in a more apropos thread this time, even if it’s a retread of sorts
“Fix” is not a comic I have many good things to say about, at this point; they’d foreshadowed Celestia and Luna going like this earlier, and it’s just painful on numerous levels. The concept of wanting to redeem them, fair enough, but… yeah that’s where severe bias can get you if you’re not careful: lack of nuance. Some good ideas, but man, the execution, and some other aspects don’t do it any favors.
I still have a hard time accepting Cozy Glow as a legitimate canon pony. She really messed up a years long perception that ponies are generally good in nature and peaceful.
Well, considering the Hearth’s Warming backstory with the Windigos didn’t insignificantly push forth the idea that ponies are the way they are as a survival mechanism on some level, rather than them being intrinsically so, as a somewhat valid interpretation, I’m not sure that perception had much validity to begin with. Pegasi were a quite militaristic race, after all.
That’s just me, though.
Background Pony #4048
Aww fuck it, Sombra was never all that interesting to begin with.
And ponies being inherently good is something definitely NOT true, if one remembers some jerks like Suri, Lightning Dust, Spoiled Rich and so on. Sure, they weren’t supervillains and instead they were just jerks, but they show ponies aren’t inherently good, so naturally a super villain pony would come from somewhere sooner or later.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Aww fuck it, Sombra was never all that interesting to begin with.
Yeah, but then he was made interesting then made boring.
He was Broly in the S3 premier. The comics made him Super Broly. Then the S9 premier made him Jiren.
Never go Jiren.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #4048
Lightning Dust in particular is a somewhat grounded, realistic sociopath, on that note. She seems unempathetic, and genuinely confused and offended when called out for that. She can enjoy, and get along with others, but her ability to actually care is just questionable.
I think in some ways, at least for me, Sombra is a character you moreso enjoy for the potential he has, rather than anything he’s been portrayed as doing, as far as the show went, and then his S9 portrayal is basically the culmination/logical conclusion of that one, by violating that principle, but it was done in a way that just wasn’t… quite enough? Kinda dissatisfactory in a way?
Just me though. Some people, he never amounted to anything for them, at any point, some he was fun for X period of time, but not the other, some he was always fun, and that’s that covered, I think.
not everyone needs to have some sort of deep/tragic backstory as to why they act the way they do.
some people are just assholes.
I honestly think it’s a form of laziness, a lackluster shortcut, in some cases, to point to a tragic backstory to go “see? This is a reason they can change, because they were the victim at some point,” rather than tackling it in a more difficult way (conversely, you can at some point choose to change when you’re just a jerk, at some point in your life, find that how you were living out life was unfulfilling in some capacity, etc).
yes, this may strike someone as being hypocrisy, considering, but still
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@AC97
Couple points about Sombra:
If current me was asked to treat the screenplay of The Crystal Empire, here are some of the things I’d change:
  • The Crystal Empire was built over this fount of crystal energy.
  • This fount was used to create powerful relics, and it played a role in the creation of The Elements of Harmony.
  • King Sombra took control. The Crystal Ponies are the results of him experimenting with crystal magic; trying to re-create The Crystal Heart. This lets Sombra be a foil to Twilight and Cadence: he represents a corrupted version of Twilight’s pursuit of knowledge, and he sacrifices others, which contrasts the “self-sacrifice” idea.
  • We never see Sombra in person. There are statues and stained glass pictures of him, which establishes his castle as a dark reflection of Celestia’s castle, but he never makes an appearance outside of flashbacks. Replace the cloud thing with some of his failed experiments.
Sombra and “Fix”:
Twilight’s motivation in Fix is really stupid. She should want to reform Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow because she feels guilty about murdering King Sombra. However, there’s some internal conflict: she wants to help them, even though each member of The Trio has personally wronged her. Is she trying to redeem them, or herself?
If I ever make that parody, one of the pages is going to be Spike talking about the above. Then there’s a beat panel, then Twilight says “…who the fuck is Sombra?”
Couple points about redemption in general:
Outlining a redemption story for Chrysalis should be pretty straightforward. She’s driven by a duty to feed her subjects, but also by a love of controlling others. To the rest of the changelings, she’s the personification of the life they left behind. You have her confront that; she has to decide if she wants to follow Thorax’s example, or if she really is a predator at heart, and her hive was just slowing her down.
For Tirek, you can just finish exploring the theme of “betrayal”. Scorpan betrays Tirek. Tirek betrays Discord. Tirek explores the merits of not betraying Cozy Glow and Chrysalis. All that was left was for Tirek to do a heel-face turn and betray Grogar.
For Cozy, I guess she finds a way to channel her talents into something constructive.
Latecomer

@AC97
Yeah - when I was still uncertain about a Cozy redemption, one thing I was sure about is that I didn’t want it backstory-based like Starlight’s.
As for Sombra… as much as I disliked how shallow he was in his first appearance originally, I did eventually come to appreciate him being kept at a distance and depersonalised - it and various implications likely formed from plot holes let me imagine that he was worse than the show’s rating could directly support, a true Pony Hitler.
The comics went a different route, and I guess that worked for them. Season 9?…well, at least he was shown as highly powerful and competent. And I treat that episode as in-universe fiction anyway.
Pinto Bean
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
As for Sombra… as much as I disliked how shallow he was in his first appearance originally, I did eventually come to appreciate him being kept at a distance and depersonalised - it and various implications likely formed from plot holes let me imagine that he was worse than the show’s rating could directly support, a true Pony Hitler.
Pony Hitler? Man that’s dark. Read on some wiki quoting Meghan McCarthy as saying that Sombra was originally inspired in large part by Sauron from LotR.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Man, Sombra’s a great character, y’all are cappin hard, his plan in his show introduction was still a really great plan
Helix988

Sometimes I wonder if the show would’ve benefited from a Gargamel/Doofenshmirtz-like recurring antagonist. Someone who wouldn’t be redeemed or immediately defeated and could show up regularly without it being a life or death situation.
Latecomer

Eh, Discord was probably played too villainously in his debut for his liberty without a leash to be tolerated. (But then, you’d think the known existence of changelings would plunge Equestria into deep paranoia, and it didn’t, so what do I know?)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide