Pony Venting Thread

kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I’ve yet to see the G5 movie. I was busy this weekend. But I don’t care what any “professional” reviewer thinks about it. I’ve not forgotten how many trashed the 2017 movie just because it was My Little Pony. As if its very existence was an insult to them. I mean, I’ll be the first to say it wasn’t great and why, but they didn’t have to savage the movie like they did. I showed more professional decorum in my high school journalism class.
Helix988

It’s exactly like the trailer. Don’t go in expecting anything deeper or cleverer than that. I’m glad this was a Netflix release because I woulda been disappointed by this if I’d seen it in a theater.
Background Pony #EB52
I’m conflicted. I want to vent, but I feel like I need to wait until the actual show comes out.
Northern Verve

My thoughts on the G5 movie were generally positive. Though in a bit of a conflicted sense that I think it was a decent start in the context of it being eventually a series premiere (Even if we’re still a long while until said series starting). Though if we are to take the early statements by execs at face value in it being the same world as in FiM, and thus G5 is something of a sequel. There is problematic things with that I think have merit to be concerned about.
I think I will at least mention something that is sort of a small excerpt in the post that I’m kind of annoyed about the “Read a history book” responses to concerns as if reading about the collapse of empires like Ancient Greece and Rome shed a light at all about Equestria. No emperor/king/etc. was able to live for at least 1000 years like Alicorns do in Equestria. But besides that, the way Last Problem ended the show seemed to imply there was a general world peace even among ponies and non-ponies AKA the friendship school worked exactly as intended (I know there’s a decent YMMV on the school as well as The Last Problem as an episode as a whole. But we have to take what we saw. Though I’m admittedly not as hard on Season 9 as others may be, I’m probably also not as harsh on Season 8 as others too) Where as with ancient empires, even the so-called Golden ages of Greek or Roman empires still likely had slavery and wars. Maybe those replying about history are pointing mostly toward stuff like how many empires got complacent by the time the “golden age” ended. Still, on the other hand. FiM is a fantasy world. It’s not our real world. A collapsing empire is realistic yeah, but I don’t think we watch MLP to hear about realistic historic scenarios. (Heck, since the only thing we really got about G4’s past was the Hearth’s Warming Tale and the Founders of Equestria. The show itself didn’t really put a focus on too much history)
FiM lasted for just about the whole 2010s decade. That would naturally be alot of people attached to this world, and it got just about the happiest ending it could get. Which I get that no realistic story ever has a happily ever after. But even at it’s best, MLP isn’t realistic. We didn’t watch the show for multi-faceted stories. Most episodes were things done in all kinds of other shows, it was the characters that brought us back for even the most straight-forwardly played episodes with predictable tropes. It should be understandable there is concerns about G5 deciding that Equestria plummets down to this level. Even if it’s not Twilight’s fault in any fashion. I think wanting to know what happened between G4 and G5 and what was the fate of at the very least the Alicorn characters are legitimate questions to have. And getting replied with a “That’s how history works” response when there can be a difference to approaching a more realistic setting or a more idealistic fantasy setting like MLP has.
I do get that these sort of spats between G4 Purists and/or those just trying to enjoy G5 on it’s own merits were inevitable as with any inter-media generational fandom. And there will be those on both sides that will be toxic. (I’m aware of at least one G4 purist user that’s been annoying others in the G5 thread from time to time, though I also do recall some mentioning about there being a twitter that’s shaming G4 fans for criticisms of G5. So it’s essentially already happened). It’s only been about a week since the movie premiered and we’re a long way from seeing if the spring special and/or the series shines light on any of this. But either way, I’d like to see those getting into G5 understand legit concerns G4 fans have, and also G4 fans let those enjoying G5 be. Many of us who were in the G4 fandom a long time remember when just liking a pony show at all got some vitriol from non-fans, it’d be best if we didn’t become the equivalent of that only in slight hypocrisy for liking the previous generation’s pony show. I know I can’t stop toxicity from happening, but I don’t certainly want to feel like I could get a snarky response or even shame for asking a question that I’m only curious about.
I’m not one to spam threads demanding answers or demanding that G4 characters return in G5 on a permanent basis. I wouldn’t even consider myself a 100% G4 purist since I think the G5 movie was probably a better outing structure wise then any G4 movie (The 2017 movie, Rainbow Roadtrip, and the 4 Equestria Girls movies. Even if I have a soft spot for the 3rd and 4th EQG films and I loved the animation style introduced in the 2017 movie.). And I await what the G5 series has to offer, and want to give it a chance. Though I would be lying if I weren’t at least a little curious as well regarding what G4 purists want to know. I have some of the same concerns as some G4 purists, but I am aiming to try for a healthy middle. I think the G5 movie is a good series premiere, it’s just a little hard to say the same under the perspective of it being a Friendship is Magic sequel (And it’s not G4 purists fault for it being treated as if it’s a sequel. Hasbro trying to set it up to be in the same universe effectively makes it a sequel. There could of been alot less of this if G5 has been it’s very own world/universe or at the very least G4 was fictional in a meta sense in G5’s world)
Helix988

@DerpyFast
The entire purpose of that scene was fanservice. Literally everything else in the movie established how different Equestria is now. That scene just served as an extended callback.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Helix988
The early press releases put quite a bit of emphasis on G5 being in the same universe as G4. Some people were afraid that they’d be tempted to get bogged down in mindless fanservice at the expense of whatever new things they might have planned, but having them go too far in the opposite direction (sweep G4 under the rug altogether) would be almost as disappointing.
Helix988

Given the story they told, I think they should have gone ahead and just done full reboot with a new universe and all that entails.
Helix988

“I need an idiot’s reaction to the first episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”
Are either of those ironic? That’s the only justification I can think of.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
I’m seeing the image dumps of Rollercoaster of Friendship and I’m both trying to forget yet constantly reminded how much of a horrible character Vingette Valencia was
Background Pony #23C0
@Kiryu-Chan
It’s more annoying that they’re all reposts. It looks like the person uploading them upscaled old screencaps to repost them.
Background Pony #72E3
@Helix988
Well, for me, the justification I can see is reaction to Spike’s relationship with the mares and his age makes almost to no sense since that day of the show.
Good thing G5 got rid of that.
Twi Clown
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Übermensch in training
I know I’ve been saying this a lot but I don’t really like or feel interested in watching G5.
Here are some reasons for it.
1.- I don’t like the premise. Two reasons.
A.- The idea of the ponies getting divided by race seems rather involutive. It just seems like making a conflict out of “don’t be racists” messages, and overtime, they just feel so repetitive it gets grating at times. There’s also the fact the divided ponies pretty much act as a bunch of scaredy squirels for it, is not entertaining to me.
B.- Equestria losing it’s magic on itself also it’s highly detractive to me. One thing I enjoyed in FiM is the fantasy elements giving the setting an unique feel. Everything feel entertaining and the mythos, while overtime struggled to make sense at times, it really makes the place look alive. The sudden lost of the magic in the same world just feels sad and defeatist. As in Equestria lost something that made it unique.
2.- The designs. I don’t like the designs, at all. The 3D renders are well made, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t like them. The eyes are smaller and the faces look much more humanoid it’s rather weird to me. The color pallette also feels much more homogeneus, so the main characters make much less contrast within each other outside of Zipp. Zipp herself I gotta say I don’t like her hair, it looks like a weird ice cream of the sorts. The 2D promos in fact made it much more exacerbated the faces’ issues.
3.- I’ve been seen some of the spoilers from the movie. Admittedly, I don’t really like it either. I don’t get most of the jokes (racist shark Rarity and mayonaise in particular I don’t find them funny) and I don’t know why but I really don’t feel invested in the characters, not sure why. Sprout seems like a very ridiculous villain and Pipp apparently is “social media pony” which is also pretty annoying. Granted, I can’t say I’ve seen a lot, but the little I’ve seen don’t really attract me.
That’s why I don’t really have any hype for G5. I’m not sure if watch it at all. Maybe at some point in the future but for the time being I pass honestly.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

1.- I don’t like the premise. Two reasons.
A.- The idea of the ponies getting divided by race seems rather involutive. It just seems like making a conflict out of “don’t be racists” messages, and overtime, they just feel so repetitive it gets grating at times. There’s also the fact the divided ponies pretty much act as a bunch of scaredy squirels for it, is not entertaining to me.
B.- Equestria losing it’s magic on itself also it’s highly detractive to me. One thing I enjoyed in FiM is the fantasy elements giving the setting an unique feel. Everything feel entertaining and the mythos, while overtime struggled to make sense at times, it really makes the place look alive. The sudden lost of the magic in the same world just feels sad and defeatist. As in Equestria lost something that made it unique.
Well, the way the movie ended suggested that that might not be a problem for the series proper. Though it kind of looks like magic probably won’t get back to where it was in G4, at least not right away.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide