Pony Venting Thread

Background Pony #DFDC
@Knight of the Raven  
Fluttershy’ s done a lot for Rainbow. It’s impressive that she even tried out for those relay team in the first place, and they say right off the bat she’s mostly doing it for her. There’s also “Trade Ya”, where she spent the whole episode helping Rainbow, “sacrificing” her bear whistle and was willing to move out of Ponyville for an indefinite time so she could have her book.

And tbf, we saw that people were okay with Rainbow going on the Cloudsdale team, the only person who might have had a problem was Twilight and that’s because Rainbow was lying about it and being sneaky rather than be honest.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@WyrmSpawN
@Kiryu-Chan
@Latecomer
@Myoozik
Yeah, I once read Pony Life’s Rainbow Dash described with ‘except the writers don’t have a grudge against her.’ And I do wonder if someone at DHX wasn’t vicariously taking revenge against the jocks of their high school life every time they wrote her, sometimes.

I’m 90% sure that was probably me who said that lol

@Background Pony #DFDC  
I never had an issue with how Twilight addressed Rainbow’s issues in theory. There was a lot of things wrong with Rainbow Falls but a lot of it has to do with the execution and writing, but it written with good intentions. Twilight telling RD that “choosing not to choose isn’t right” was the right thing to say

It wasn’t until S6 where everything went to Hell
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
It wasn’t until S6 where everything went to Hell

That’s about the time the last of the original writers was done in and the new ones took over (was M.A. Larson the only writer credited for both a S1-3 episode and a S7-9 episode?)
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Knight of the Raven
It’s pretty disappointing that the writers only ever presented one side of the issue.

It takes a lot of skill and planning to present both sides of an argument in a fair and coherent narrative. Unfortunately, most shows don’t have the time to write it or the timeframe to present it in.
Latecomer

@Brass Beau  
Especially when one side is something as unusual as a validation of selfishness. (We Westerners can do “be yourself” when it’s a rebellion against opressive conformity, but taking it further is tricky.)

As for Rainbow…well, she’s one of the most flawed Manes (and also the most masculine - the early show had some issues with that). Left to her own devices, she might well become Gilda or Lightning Dust - her loyalty, both to friends and to ideals, is what keeps her flawed nature in check. Maybe.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Background Pony #DFDC  
Thanks for reminding me about this. I tend to forget about episodes that make me go “why do I even like you, again?” on my favorite characters, and Daring Do usually brings the worst rather than the best out of Rainbow.

Doesn’t help that she was rewarded for being an insane stalking fangirl, but Friendship is Magic has always been off with the lessons it teaches. Starting from the very first season.

@DerpyFast  
@Brass Beau  
I guess it depends on how you define it… There’s egoism and there’s egoism. There’s considering your world revolves around you, and considering everyone else’s world revolves around you—and when someone’s doesn’t, that’s a ‘crime’ you need to correct.

I’m not sure which side of that spectrum Rainbow Dash spends most of her time on, but I do recall one early instance where it was definitely the latter… and that went for the other five Manes too.

The Best Night Ever.

Where our heroes got so offended that an event that celebrated Equestria as a whole (or maybe just Canterlot, the Grand Galloping Gala’s history wasn’t really expanded upon), which all other guests had also looked forward to for the entire year, wasn’t what they wanted… that they took ‘justice’ in their own hooves and ruined it for everyone else in their quest to make the Gala about them instead.

And then they got thanked for it by the highest authority in the land, although in private.

Yeah. That’s a nice lesson to teach children. Those are heroes to look up to. But as I said, just because the show takes utmost pride in teaching children right from wrong, doesn’t mean they don’t mess up sometimes. Or most of the time, really.

Going back to Rainbow Dash, interestingly, in IDW Comics’ Ponies of Dark Water story arc…

The Mane 6 turned evil because of cursed water and, when all the others sought to bend Ponyville to their will, Rainbow was entirely content with doing Sonic Rainboom after Sonic Rainboom. Sure, there were bright lights and hellish noise the whole time, but she still ended up doing less damage than any of the others. You probably could have dropped her somewhere without anyone within hundreds of miles and she wouldn’t have minded.

I’m biased, of course. If I were one of these behemoths of endless writing, I’d have made my own alternate take on Friendship is Magic… which would probably amount to keeping only Rainbow, Rarity and unicorn!Twilight out of the main cast, honestly.

@Latecomer  
Lightning Dust always was a foil to Rainbow… a dark reflection in the mirror of what-might-have-beens. Although she probably never was so lacking in empathy that she’d go ‘but they didn’t’ about people falling to their death.

Probably.

We never had, say, Raindrops kicking her way into Rainbow’s bedroom to dress her down about her friends almost dying from being buried under several feet of snow, after all.

By the way, thanks for the nice conversation everyone.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Latecomer  
That does bring an interesting aspect of Rainbow to light, her egoism is Loyalty to Herself. When Pinkie and Fluttershy had a chance to shine during Buckball Season she had no problem stepping aside. I think the conflict between loyalty to herself and consideration to others is major point of her character.
Sadrai

I saw Equestria daily post “say something nice about filthy rich” and some people were saying no I even saw someone say f him. I’m thinking why? Filthy rich is good pony, he is nice, a good dad, and not the generic rich business jerk.
Sadrai

@Latecomer  
Yes there is. He not a rich jerk. He actually pretty good dad. He is nice like the time when he heard Granny Smith was sick he went to visit her. So yeah in my opinion there very much a reason to like him.
Sadrai

I remember someone being upset about the Zephyr issue of the idw comic, even tho in that issue Zephyr wasn’t bad at all in fact all his negative traits from his first appearance weren’t there he did his job even tho he was nervous, he wasn’t harming any one with his actions, and Dash wasn’t in the issue so he didn’t hit in her.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide