Pony Venting Thread

Twiface
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Princess of Shitposting
I just want G4 to look good so people can love all of G4 over and over again and not be distracted by yet another reboot. If FiM didn’t have an impact, then the show wouldn’t have spin-offs or movies. I know FiM is beloved, but the problem is that is niche and fandom drama towards the changes and the new writers affected the show’s reputation. The nicheness of the franchise is what led to a low performance in the box office for the 2017 film.

MLP has always been a niche franchise aimed at children. Bronies are not the target audience, never have been, and never will be. The little girls who comprise most of MLP’s audience will fondly remember whatever generation they happened to grow up with and ignore the rest.

For bronies, I think G4 will still be beloved for years to come. It significantly raised the bar for MLP, and everything that comes after will be compared to the standard set by FiM. As is typical in fandoms, people will idolize previous installments and downplay their flaws if newer installments seem bad or mediocre in comparison (eg. Terminator fans compare every new movie unfavorably to Terminator 2, Fallout fans generally dislike everything after New Vegas, Star Wars fans rarely ever criticize the original trilogy, etc.) FiM’s later seasons may receive the ‘Star Wars Prequels’ treatment where many people disliked them at the time, but began to appreciate them once they had sequels to compare them to.

I have low expectations for G5. G4 came about when Hasbro was trying to launch The Hub, so they were willing to invest resources into making FiM good. Now that television is dying and TTG clones are the big trend in animation, I expect G5 to consist of cheaply produced web shorts like ‘Pony Life’ and a handful of movies/TV specials. This will produce a very different type of show than FiM that would make it harder to connect with the characters and setting on a personal level. Even if we got another 20-minute syndicated TV show, they would need to hire someone like Lauren Faust and give them the necessary creative freedom to make it special, which I doubt Hasbro is willing to do at the moment.

And if, as some of the concept art implies, G5 is just going to repackage G4’s Mane Six in a different setting, then nostalgia-heavy comparisons of G4 to G5 will be inevitable and many people will deride G5 for a lack of originality.
Latecomer

@DerpyFast  
If it was a total blind reroll, sure. But the fact that Hasbro knows that such a thing is possible is a factor - although whether they would prefer to chase or avoid such broadened appeal is less clear.
Fwelin
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

The marketing of G4 has always been aimed at children, but the actual writing and show content was specifically designed for all ages. As such, if it managed to spread enough without using traditional marketing (which it did), it had a pretty decent chance of getting an older following. It was a bit of a fluke, but not a huge one.
Sadrai

Okay so I saw once a tweet some time ago asking hasbro to kill off two characters (if you know me you know who I’m talking about) and I think that’s ridiculous because one there’s no way hasbro would kill in mlp and two killing is really overkill.
Sadrai

I have seen some people try to compare Cozy glow to Diamond tiara and I really don’t get how since Diamond was a bully but Cozy was a power hungry psycho like the only thing they have in common is there both young girls.
Background Pony #CE27
If Grogar being a fake so the Legion of Doom can be the final villains was the plan all along, why use Grogar, a character fans have been wanting to see for years? Why not just make up a villain? How did anyone on the writing staff think this was a good idea?
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@gingerninja666  
Coming from someone who did like that Mandarin twist, that still was one of the most criticized aspects of Iron Man 3 though, so much so they had to retcon that and reaffirm that the Mandarin was in fact real and is out there. And even then they didn’t pull anything stupid like “Loki was the Mandarin all along to teach Tony a lesson” or anything like that, the twist that Killian “was the Mandarin the whole time” at least makes sense in that he was the mastermind behind the whole scheme.
gingerninja666
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Kaze ni Nare
@Kiryu-Chan

Well, Grogar does actually exist. The Discord twist doesn’t disprove that.

I was always okay with the twist because I liked at least the idea of the show subverting the whole Trickster Mentor trope, having Discord’s attempts to teach someone a lesson in a roundabout way backfire horribly. Generally, Trickster Mentors are very effective and I hate it. XD
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@gingerninja666  
What stands out to me is that people are always complaining that Discord could have just used his power to auto-win any of the threats facing Equestria. So if he didn’t have his power stolen, he could have aborted his own plan at any time if things got out of hand. His actions seem way less reckless and irresponsible once you take that into account.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide