Pony Venting Thread

Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Kiryu-Chan
Also, “I wasted 5 years of my life for this shit” makes it sound like the entire show was RD joining them,

No it wasn’t I can agree on that, but it was one of the things I was most interested in

and that we wouldn’t get episodes of her and the Wonderbolts afterwards, both are untrue.

They never did anything with her status as a Wonderbolt(if you can call it that) or ever used them effectively or ever bothered expanding them as characters. All it was ever done was as a backdrop for a different plot or an offhand reference(“MaN bEiNg A wOnDeRbOlT iS tOuGh!!1!). The closest the show ever did with her new status was Parental Glideance, and that was less about the WBs and more about RD getting over that her parents are embarrassing

One thing I always give the comics credit for is that it actually uses them effectively both as characters, a group and as RD’s friends. You had comics expanding individual WBs as characters(Spitfire in FF#11 and Wings over Yakyakistan; Soarin in FF#36; Fleetfoot in Art of the Gazeebo Repair), you had them go on rescue missions a couple of times(FF#36 and the GoH Annual.). In the comics they actually feel like RD’s friends. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to see in the show and it never did anything

And why do I have a feeling that the “earlier versions” seem good because they never aired, and people will have their own, “perfect” interpretations?

Because those earlier versions at least felt like they wanted people to like the episode.

Originally the episode was supposed to end with RD ruining the show because she was supposed to save Scootaloo from an accident. The episode we got had RD ruin the show and humiliate herself because she was too desperate to get rid of her nickname

The episode could have been to Rainbow Dash as MMC was to Twilight in terms of quality and execution but at the very least the episode could have felt like it was trying to be special

Heck, I give a lot of shit to The Last Crusade, but at the very least I can argue they wanted to make the episode feel special
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
@Myoozik

Asking me to stop ranting about Newbie Dash is like asking Spinny to stop ranting about AJ lol

I’LL GIVE IT A REST WHEN I’M ON MY DEATH BED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAHARAN DESERT BUCK NA-

full

okay i’ll take a break :p
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
One of the things I don’t like about going to the Ponybooru forums is seeing all the genwunner versions of the show, especially those who writes long paragraphs. It really takes you out of it
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Myoozik

Yeah, I think I feel the same way, probably plays a role on some level why I haven’t frequented there more than I have.

I think I’ll post an… example, regarding that sort of topic.

The Cutie Re-Mark was the worst episode ever, by a lot, until it was eclipsed by the rancid, festering, Tsar Bomba sized disaster of Fame and Misfortune that took the series and blew it straight to hell and then took the smouldering remains and took a dump on it, and then flung it all straight into a black hole of suck.
It is literally impossible to even talk to someone who likes the episode because they are smug assholes who take ANY differing opinion, ANY criticism of the episode at all as absolute and unimpeachable proof that the episode is right and that anyone who disagrees with any aspect of the show for any reason on any level is a worthless, irredeemable, whingey neckbeard who deserves to be kicked in the teeth for all eternity.
I hate that they took all the ponies I’d grown to love over 7 years and turn them all into assholes who hurl vicious abuse at the Mane 6 for 20 minutes, then they sing a song about how plot holes make the show more perfect or something and anyone who complains is a neckbeard, then the problem is never resolved and forgotten about in the next episode.

I mean, come on, I know that the show had some flaws as time went on, but… at that point, I’d rather not even attempt to engage, because I’m not sure what conversation could be had without them being frustrated, or vice-versa. …At least “not fun,” probably.

Perhaps it’s cowardly of me to think that way, but it is what it is.

(although perhaps to be fair, it was a “vent thread”)
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@AC97  
Fame and Misfortune really struck a nerve, didn’t it?

Friendship is Magic is a toy commercial for small children. What these people do is pretend that the episode is saying “You can’t criticize it because it’s for kids.” They can criticize it, but they should engage with it on it’s own terms and judge it for what it is. But doing that means accepting that it isn’t “Game of Thrones” or “just like my Japanese animes”. Acknowledging this raises existential questions about just what these people have been obsessing over and masturbating to for the better part of a decade. That’s a scary prospect to confront, and self-reflection is hard, so it’s no surprise that they get so defensive about it.

That’s what inspired me to write my in-depth episode reviews; to prove that I can treat it like a kid’s show while still finding intelligent things to say. And I don’t even consider my reviews all that impressive. A smart high school student who paid attention in literature class could write what I write. But I’m an enlightened neckbeard, who doesn’t need to pretend a show is something it’s not to enjoy and find value in it.

In conclusion, Fame and Misfortune was a Rorschach test, and these people hate what it reveals about them.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@DerpyFast  
@Twi Clown  
I actually kinda liked “Fame & Misfortune.” I don’t think it was intended as anti-criticism, or anti-fandom, or whatever like some interpret.  
(And writer M.A. Larson even apologized, and explained it wasn’t meant to attack fans, or anything. He’s always been cool with fans, and participated with them.)

I always saw it as more like a satire or look into the downsides of popularity, as some popular fans/bronies who make popular art/stories/music/ect. can probably relate to it too, as they tend to get swamped by fans, good or bad.
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@AC97  
Yikes! I was expecting that reaction from Fame & Misfortune but that’s just massive overreaction to the nth degree. That second paragraph makes me think that this guy just needs to sit down and talk abut his feelings in a psychiatrist room.

Oh and finding the original post in there, I had a hunch that it’d be that guy
Latecomer

I don’t think it was intended as anti-criticism, or anti-fandom, or whatever like some interpret.

It’s kind of massively blatant, though. (The other thing you mention is more to do with Once Upon A Zeppelin.)
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Latecomer  
The only thing that was, maybe was the old pony complaining about Twilight having wings, which I think was just a harmless poke, and nothing more. The pony going, “Are Pinkie & AJ related OR WHAT?!” was pretty funny too.

Larson’s made fun of himself over writing the “Twilight gets wings” episode in a self-deprecational way. so I doubt he intended as anything malicious. (In fact, after some fan backlash, Larson honestly felt bad about the episode, and regrets it.) It’s a shame this fanbase can’t seem to take a joke or two.

Honestly, the episode was pretty tame compared to all the times “Teen Titans Go” took shots at it’s critics, and such.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DerpyFast

I tend to appreciate your takes because you’re not afraid to criticize things (like for instance, how the Mane Six in the show tend to suffer with character stagnation due to the lack of long term planning showing, how they don’t really have much in the way of proper defined character arcs, or how the setting has a lot of things established, but it’s a gamble if they explore it again, the “The Wheel of Reincorporation” as you put it ), but you try to be on the positive side either way. Analytical, but positive. Perhaps you’re better at doing that when you’re talking to others than I am, not entirely sure.

Fame and Misfortune wasn’t perfect by any means, but some people who dislike/hate it kinda go “I resemble that remark.”

On the topic of “Wheel of Reincorporation,” for some things the show brought up/established, and didn’t follow through with, there’s how it abruptly dropped the plot point of “Mane Six fixing up the old Castle of the Two Sisters” after S4’s sixth episode (Power Ponies), how Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were dropped after S5 (due to executive meddling, granted, but still), how Griffonstone didn’t really get any development past when we saw it in S5 during Gilda’s return episode, Diamond Dogs and Buffalo (even, if the latter got a cameo, and the former got a reference in the series finale) Breezies (for better or worse), and the list does go on.

@Myoozik

Somehow I’m not surprised you guessed it was someone specific

It just doesn’t look healthy to have that much resentment, lol.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@AC97  
I’m a very observant person and I can recognize someone by the way they type, what they frequently say and what not even if I don’t see their username.

But either way, this guy needs to chill, like big time.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Latecomer  
Maybe a little bit, but nowhere near as deranged.

@Myoozik  
If it’s who I think it is, then just a quick reminder that he said he’d do the job of story editor for free. Not, like, take the money and use it to support himself and have a life or anything. Just dedicate all his free time to making sure this one cartoon is up to his enigmatic standards.

@AC97  
Thank you. I do try to approach the show with the mindset that it’s not for me, and that I’m a guest. To be an analyst who looks at things like theme and symbolism, instead of a geek who only cares about technical stuff.

What’s funny to me is that if the fandom was as charitable the later seasons as they were to Season One, they’d enjoy it more. At the same time, if the fandom looked at Season One with the level of scrutiny that they look at the later show, there would not have been a fandom.
Twi Clown
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@DerpyFast

I mean, I’d do the editor work as well, but not for free. XD  
Then again I’ll charge pretty cheap because of my non existent experience.
Latecomer

@Beau Skunky  
He felt bad about because he recognised it as a blatant attack on the fandom, but Hasbro wouldn’t let him tone it down. Or so I heard.

@AC97  
I kind of like the Wheel, which I call the “toybox” style - or rather, I feel it fits a largely standalone, open-ended show like FIM well.

Some of those things you list really didn’t need follow-up, even if it would have been nice. The first couple really did, though.

What’s funny to me is that if the fandom was as charitable the later seasons as they were to Season One, they’d enjoy it more. At the same time, if the fandom looked at Season One with the level of scrutiny that they look at the later show, there would not have been a fandom.

Thinking about this as someone who feels the show really did go downhill after Season 1, I’m not sure whether or not it’s true. Certainly low expectations for a pony show helped (and G5 will have a tough time getting started without them), but I do feel that there are fundamental differences as well.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer

I think that Griffonstone goes into the category of the first two, in that the ending was basically setting it up for “hey, maybe it could be made better with friendship, and that was the friendship problem, Gilda coming to appreciate friendship,” and… it was still just as crappy when we saw it next, after S5. Gallus didn’t exactly want to go back there, even aside from not having family, probably.

At least those races I listed didn’t exactly leave obvious loose ends that were just dropped.

Pinkie Pie: That’s what I was trying to tell you! The map didn’t send us here to find the lost Idol of Boreas. It sent us here to replace it with something better!
Gilda: Nothing’s better than gold to a griffon.
Pinkie Pie: That’s because you don’t have friendship! If you can learn to care about each other again, Griffonstone could be a mightier kingdom than it ever was before! And you don’t need some golden idol to do that. You just need each other.

So yeah, kind of a dropped plot point, in a way, that… or it was just kind of a case of realistic scenario ensuing, that it wouldn’t be that simple, but either way, wasn’t elaborated on really.

Gallus: [voiceover] That’s just his name. He’s not anygriff’s actual grandpa. I felt like I never had a place in Griffonstone.

(which would tie into friendship not really being a thing, still, the plot point kinda falling by the wayside)
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Latecomer  
I kind of think the same, except it rebounded in Seasons Five and Eight. One and Eight are fresh enough in my mind, but Five has been awhile. My DVD for Two came in, so I’ll have to see how that holds up.
Latecomer

@AC97  
Well I didn’t think it needed revisiting at all, but you do have a bit of a point there. Still, Rome wasn’t built in a day. And a homeless orphan is likely to feel the effects later than most.

(I did occasionally entertain the idea of a Griffonstone-based spinoff with Gilda as the lead.)

@DerpyFast  
7 is the big one in my book. Though the first half of 5 is pretty good too.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Latecomer  
I dunno, I don’t think it was intended that way.

I’ve seen fans themselves poke fun at the fandom in worse ways in their fanart/fancomics and get nothing but praise. I even remember the “choose your own path” parody fanfic “A brony in Equestria” got nothing, but praise on FIMFiction, and the brony in it is the biggest stereotype ever. Way worse then anything featured in that episode.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide