Viewing last 25 versions of post by PixelatedPony in topic Pony Venting Thread

PixelatedPony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Luna Best Princess

>
> The worst thing Starlight did was create the bad timelines, which is something she wasn't aware of, and didn't intend to do. The first time we see Discord, it's already his second time terrorizing Equestria. He was given a second chance, and he basically betrayed Equestria the first chance he got. Starlight should have been on probation for sure, but they have a much stronger reason to distrust Discord.
>

You also left out the part where she enslaved a whole village of people for years on end manipulating them and probably giving them trauma as well
That is way worse than making chocolate milk rain and warping the land.
I feel like you're heavily downplaying the universes part, more damage in those realities was done than anything discord did in his entirety, each one being worse than the next and many lives were absolutely lost.
And even after Twilight explained the damage she was indirectly causing she still went on with it because she was holding a grudge. She was willing to torment Twilight for eternity just to 1 up her.
Of course she was eventually convinced after explaining her horrible backstory and motivations with a little bit of friendship no jutsu but still. One thing to mention if you think about it, nothing has a long term consequence in MLP, probably cause its a kids show and it isnt meant to be that deep but that doesnt mean we cant have discussions like these
Also I like the fact that discord made mistakes, it showed he had a lot to learn about friendship and that made his development feel genuine.
Instead of it being over a single episode and pulling a 180 on the character.
I would've loved for starlight to have a moment similar to discord where she would get a opportunity to betray her friends and be tested, I feel like she really needed something along those lines for her character.

>
> Well, the consequences of Luna's actions were a lot more dire. She turned evil, tried to murder her own sister, and ended up trapped in the moon for 1,000 years. whereas nothing Starlight did had any long-term consequences. Plus, Starlight does self-deprecate by talking about how she "almost destroyed the universe".
>

Honestly what Starlight did was worthy of moon sealing or being turned to stone or being sent to tartarus.
I also think its bad writing that the villagers get over her overnight and welcome her woth open arms and even try to make her a leader for some reason; like why are you trying to appoint the same mare that terrorized and brainwashed you for celestia knows how long?
I find that as a recurring issue too with Starlight, making everyone around her dumber or even out of character to make her look better
Also the self-deprecating bits aren't really that common and even then they are usually delivered in a comedic way or brushed off immediately by other characters - like someone would reassure starlight and say "oh come on you changed, you're not enslaving people anymore" like thats a normal thing for someone to do.

> I'm not going to pretend that Starlight had the best redemption story ever, but I do want to pay it some lip service. Her speech in *To Where and Back Again* shows that she regrets what she did with her village. She was prone to acting without considering the long-term consequences. But by the time *Shadow Play* rolls around, she's the one questioning the long-term consequences of destroying The Elements. The backstory with Sunburst is weak, but *Uncommon Bond* has her confronting the thing that sent her down her dark path.
>

Well don't get me wrong she does have some good episodes, my favorite one with her is the season 6 finale with shes works together with discord, trixie and thorax, but thats not going to get me to like her as a character or even think shes a good one.
There was no right or wrong with the shadow episode, thats what morals are, there wasnt an objective answer of how to stop him, either method would of brought peace to equestria.
And we were shown time again that the mane 6 didnt need to elements of harmony so honestly what damage?

> It's not amazing, but Starlight *does* turn a corner.
>

It doesnt feel like she changed that much, her development feels artificial to me. She still comes across as somewhat of a sociopath.

Starlight is by no means the worst character, I don't think I would put her lower than C tier, but I can understand why she isn't liked that much.
No reason given
Edited by PixelatedPony