Pony Life Stream/Discussion Thread.

IceKitsune
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Pre-G4 Art Archivist
Ok so I’m all caught up on Pony Life now, I missed last weeks becasue of work and stuff, last weeks episodes were pretty good as usual I liked Pie vs. Pie the most personally with The Debut Taunt in a close second. The final set of episodes were good and the song was suprisingly nice. I really don’t know why they did the whole American Gladiator refernce, no kid is going to understand that. Overall while it isn’t as good as FIM I think Pony Life is still pretty good and a nice hold over before G5 starts. I’m glad it is getting a second season at least and I hope it keeps improving.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
I really don’t know why they did the whole American Gladiator refernce, no kid is going to understand that.

Maybe they just put it in there for the older audience. Y’know, kinda like how us older fans have been comparing potions to drugs and Potion Nova being a drug dealer.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Finished Season One. Herd Happily is super cute, and the song was pretty good.

For the record, I think maybe five episodes from Season One of FiM fall into the category of “excellent”, between story, themes and characterization. And that’s about how I set the bar: I find the show charming in general, with plenty of little things to appreciate, but I only expect maybe a handful of episodes to legitimately “wow” me.

Pony Life isn’t as good as FiM, and it never really “wowed” me. But I still found it charming in general, and I liked it more than I was expecting to.

A couple of points:

References  
Shows are allowed to make references. In fact, cartoons have been making references kids wouldn’t be expected to get for as long as I can remember. In the late 90s, Titanic references were everywhere. Fairly Oddparents referenced The Matrix, and the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles referenced the swarm of Smiths fight from The Matrix Reloaded. I’ll remind you that that’s an R-rated movie with a sex scene. Just as a side note, everyone in my 6th grade class had seen The Matrix Trilogy.

Let’s be clear, if Game of Thrones was being released in the 2000s, shows like Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius would have absolutely referenced it. Could it be that people throw in references not to try and be “hip”, but because it amuses them?

Technology  
Like pop culture, people tend to complain about references to technology. These people probably spend too much time on Reddit and/or 4chan. Referencing smartphones and tablets is not “trying to be hip with the kids”. The original iPhone was released in 2007, and smartphones have been a staple of modern life since before the target audience of Pony Life was born. You’re getting old.

I think if the fandom is allowed to make a crossover between My Little Pony and Fallout, then Hasbro is allowed to incorporate modern technology into a show featuring these characters. Which brings me to my next point.

Characterization  
I quite like direction they went with The Mane Six’s characterization. Given the opportunity, you should absolutely tweak the characters. Coding and technology are excellent fits for Twilight. You’re never going to recapture the initial impact of Dragonshy, so I like that Fluttershy’s dark side is established from the get-go.

Overall, the worst I can say is that some of the episodes were dumb and/or boring, and thaat I wish certain episodes were longer. But nothing about Pony Life offended me.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
As far as characterization goes, only ones I actively dislike are Rarity and Fluttershy. Rarity feels like they took her funny quirks of the main show and made that her entire character while getting rid of some of her most interesting traits, and Fluttershy feels like a completely different character, like Pinkie’s craziness cranked to 11. Otherwise, RD feels more or less the same(though PL isn’t spiteful like the main show was), Pinkie actually feels somewhat toned down to her main counterpart(and it’s kinda refreshing). Twilight and AJ actually feel like notable improvements without taking away from what made them great in the first place
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
I haven’t had a problem wiht PL Mane 6.

I mean it’s a comedy focused spin-off, so i was expected several of their traits to either be changed or exaggerated
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Technology
Like pop culture, people tend to complain about references to technology. These people probably spend too much time on Reddit and/or 4chan. Referencing smartphones and tablets is not “trying to be hip with the kids”. The original iPhone was released in 2007, and smartphones have been a staple of modern life since before the target audience of Pony Life was born. You’re getting old.
I think if the fandom is allowed to make a crossover between My Little Pony and Fallout, then Hasbro is allowed to incorporate modern technology into a show featuring these characters.

A fair point, but we could have done without an entire episode focusing on Rainbow Dash deciding what apps she really needs on her phone. Though the one where Fluttershy attempts an unboxing video was pretty good.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Kiryu-Chan  
I have mixed feelings on PL Rarity. On the one hand, she does seem a bit flanderized, but on the other, Tabitha is clearly having a lot of fun with it, and it never got to a point where it bothered me. There was definitely an art to writing Pinkie well; she was less of a character, and more of a force of nature.

@DoctorWTF  
[…]we could have done without an entire episode focusing on Rainbow Dash deciding what apps she really needs on her phone.

Completely agree. I thought the tech was at its best when it was used in service of the story, rather than being the story.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
Finally finished all of Season 1 of PL.

It wasn’t ever gonna be as good as FIM, but it honestly didn’t need to. A lot of the writing I thought was fine and standard, the characterization ranged from okay to flanderization, I wasn’t a fan of the character designs but I did really like the backgrounds, a few jokes made me laugh and the plotlines were pretty simple. My gripes of it were the character designs, the first episode was a really shit first impression, a few episodes I really didn’t like, and Fluttershy and Rarity’s characterizations were just bad. The things that I did like were Pinkie’s characterization, Finn-Tastic was a really great character, the backgrounds were nicely done, and the tone overall reminds me of the cartoons from the 2000’s where it focused on zaniness and simplicity.

Overall, a pretty inoffensive show that wasn’t bad as others made it out to be. It’s definitely one of those shows where if you watch it by itself while trying not to connect it to FIM, then the viewing experience will be a hell of a lot enjoyable. I thought it was fine though I don’t think it’s going to get a long shelf life later on.

Final Ranking: C+
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Another thing I really appreciate about Pony Life is the emphasis on hobbies, interests, and activities. Kids’ shows often play a big part in kids’ first impressions of the world, so I think it’s really neat that it includes a wide variety of potential interests, including programming, tabletop gaming, hiking, camping, baking, going to the gym, mechanical engineering, film making, running a business, acting, among others. It’s a great way of reincorporating Faust’s original message about there being lots of different ways to be a girl. It’s also cool how it incorporates more career-oriented ideas like apprenticeships and resumes.

I like how it talks about more complicated emotions, like feeling frustrated, anxious or existential.

I think it has a great message about technology; it plays an important part of modern life, but it’s important to have interests outside of it.
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Sci-fi & Dragons
Some people who watched the show’s finale complain about the song being terrible. But then there’s context:

The Mane Six literally had no time to plan the song; They basically had to make up the song as they went along.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

What I’ve noticed about Pony Life is that I love the sorts of activities they have The Mane Six participating in, but finding myself wishing they would expand on them more. Then, going back to my earlier post, it occurred to me that that’s the point. The show is just there to plant the ideas, and it’s up to the audience to expand on them.

Another thing that occurred to me is the contrast between the settings of FiM and PL. FiM was a fairytale about teaching morals. A fantasy setting works because because the ideas FiM explored could be applied to a variety of settings. PL is slice-of-life, and you can’t just ignore the role technology plays in contemporary life. So technology and when and how to take a break from it ends up being the core theme of PL.

And I said I wouldn’t be analyzing this show.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide