Pony Life Stream/Discussion Thread.

Pony Discussion » Pony Life Stream/Discussion Thread. Search Posts
northern haste
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Enter if you dare
I can tell it’s obviously meant for younger children and I can’t say it was a fan of the best of the worst that was the only one that concerned me when actual plots were revealed I didn’t see much wrong with princess probz
Vaidelot
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Speaking Fancy -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Humble Dash-worshipper
Well, the first one was kinda… hectic (plus I missed most of the second part unfortunately). But “The best of the worst”… that was something! I’ve actually enjoyed it more the 99% of a few previous seasons. The whole episode dedicated to Dash’s utter, complete superiority - that’s what I’ve dreamed of for a long, long time!
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

World's Okayest User
So is most of the hate I’m seeing towards the first episode? Because I decided to watch the RD episode and actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit

EDIT: Yeah, that’s the first one down. Apart from them going all in on Pinkie unfiltered which can get annoying, I did find myself enjoying it. I don’t think they needed to be multiple parts
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

So I just saw episodes 1 and 2.

I think it’s worth remembering just how promising and captivating the prologue from Friendship is Magic was. It teased a lore-heavy high-fantasy epic that the show most certainly was not. I sometimes wonder if the fandom would have stayed interested if not for all the questions that Luna’s banishment raised. But then Season One ended up being great for reasons mostly unrelated to the promises of the prologue.

I say this, because I have to compare first impressions. And my first impressions of Pony Life were good overall. The art style gives me a strong Cartoon Network vibe, and it’s weird not instinctively muting the opening theme song. The gags remind me very strongly of Season One. I especially like the Film Noir Rarity. The fact that the writers have a lot to work with benefits the show.

I knew going in that I probably wasn’t going to be writing essays about theme and characterization. I was expecting a shorter, chibi version of FiM that’s doing its own thing, and that’s basically what I got. So far, there are episodes of the stop-motion shorts that I would rate higher than Princess Probs. It’s not high art, but I don’t think it needs to be. I think my only real criticism is that it doesn’t charm me in the same way FiM or the stop-motion shorts do. Maybe I’ll check all of them, maybe not.
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
So what was up with that RD one? Like if the whole point of the competition was to fail, wouldn’t succeeding be bad, therefore be more in like with being bad, therefore what one would want to do?
Background Pony #80EE
To be honest, while not great, at least is not bad like Teen Titans Go. The characters’ traits are a bit more exaggerated but they still remain somewhat faithful to their FiM incarnation. The Titans in TTG don’t even seem like themself in character portrayal. Seriously.
Background Pony #E79F
So I watched first… 4 episodes? It’s kinda weird how they are 5 minute each, but then they also both two-parters, so it’s more like 2 episodes 10 minutes each… whatever.

So “Princess Probz” was kinda bad and all over the place. I also find it weird that they lean very hard on Pinkie being all about cooking instead of partying, even in the intro, but whatever, moving on. Overall it was pretty much as bad as I thought the show would be. Just wacky things happening without much cohesiveness, characters are very simplified, trying very hard to be funny, not succeeding much, relying on fast pacing making things entertaining, because everything just zips by so fast. I’d say it’s one of those situations where it’s good enough for kids, but not for adults.  
However “Best of the worst” was actually a lot better. It was pretty true to Dash’s character, had a somewhat clever premise and some decent writing, and even a couple of heartfelt moments, which were zipping by at a speed of light, but none the less. It wasn’t amazing or anything, it’s pretty hard to compare it to G4, because the world is still just a wacky nothingness and so far it doesn’t feel like the show or the characters have any depth, but for “10 minutes of wacky comedy” it was okay, especially compared to “Princess Probz”.  
So far both episodes lean into a pretty cheesy “I can’t help but be myself” at the end, which makes me I wonder if this is going to be the theme of the entire thing. It’s also leans pretty heavily on your knowledge of G4, like, there’s a black and white scene with Rarity with lipstick out of nowhere for 2 seconds. Also no characters are explained or introduced, unless you count the intro as character introduction, which I don’t. But anyway, what I want to say is that it’s weird how it leans heavily on what was established in G4, but then also says that it wants to be it’s own thing and does a lot of things differently. I’m having some weird brain space watching it.

Overall - it’s very fast paced, which I have no problems with, I know some people do; it’s a lot more wacky then G4, which I’m okay with when they don’t go into just full-on nonsense, which they sometimes do; and so far there’s one episode that was as bad as I was expecting, and one episode that was better then I was expecting. I wonder which route the rest of the show will take.

Funny enough, the most shoehorned in, the most nonsensical and the most pointless part of the whole thing so far are the potions. They are just there, they just do random things, ponies are drinking them just because, it doesn’t make any sense and so far they were just used for “lol so random” gags. I wish the first episode was the one that uses potions as the driving force of the plot, so they could be properly introduced, but instead we got “Princess Probz”.
Background Pony #80EE
Regarding the fact the episodes are “divided” in two parts, I think I know why: I think these are supposed to be released on YT in “short form” so for the YT releases the parts will be released separately.
northern haste

Enter if you dare
I do have a worry when hasbro start uploading them to YouTube we are going to have to wait 2 weeks to get a whole episode. I can’t think of any other reason why they would split them into two parts
northern haste

Enter if you dare
I think that is one problem that this shares was the Ben 10. where despite obviously be made for a new audience there’s No introduction at the start
ArrJaySketch
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I watched the first episode with skepticism, and found it difficult to sit through. It didn’t feel like it was designed for both parents and kids; it felt too spastic and over-done. I still have yet to try the second episode.

MLPFIM did a much better job with its first episode. I was left intrigued and wanted to see more. This? Meh.

EDIT: Saw BotW, and still don’t think the show’s anything to write home about. Does it pass the “I’m excited about the show and want to tell my friends about it” test? Nope, not at all. Do I hate it? No, I’m just not excited about it.
lasty

dead to you
Going from FiM to Pony Life reminds me a lot of going from Littlest Pet Shop 2012 to the 2018 show, and not just because of the DHX to Boulder thing. It’s not that the newer shows are bad, so far. Just not as good. Pinkie Pie entering a baking competition is a safe but solid story for her. It’s fine. But is it as good as assembling the cast to face Nightmare Moon, the fallen Princess of the Night? Is it as compelling of a way to kick off a series?

Pony Life seems like the sort of show I’ll watch, but won’t wake up early to catch the episode premieres.  
Also, I appreciate them giving Applejack something beyond “famlee n’ appuls”.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide