Naming Background Ponies Thread!

Pulse Wave
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Busy procrastinating
Don’t you know where I found them?

In this case: They’re background ponies from the first IDW comic issue.

Or are you too young to have even the remotest idea of what the Blues Brothers are because that was WAY before your time?

In this case: Everyone who doesn’t know anything about 20th century pop culture and thinks that Ke$ha invented R&B, please hold on to your horseshoes.

I could go all the way back to the 1970s and tell you about how Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi invented the Blues Brothers as a musical act for Saturday Night Live, but then I’d also have to explain to you what Saturday Night Live was.

So let’s look at them from the point of view of the 1980 John Landis cult movie. The two protagonists are Elwood J. and “Joliet Jake” Blues, two “brothers” who grew up in an orphanage where they also learned about the blues. (I don’t feel like also explaining to you what blues music is.) They had a band that covered blues, soul and rhythm & blues classics mostly from the 1960s and 1970s, music that was completely outdated and almost forgotten by that time. The band ceased to exist after Jake, the lead singer, had to rob a gas station in order to pay the room service after one gig.

Three years later, Jake comes out of jail, and Elwood picks him up. They find out that the orphanage they used to call home will close if it can’t pay $5,000 of taxes within eleven days. Jake gets a divine inspiration at a gospel service and decides to get the band back together and make the money with a few gigs. Not only does this prove to be difficult, but the Blues Brothers also make a bunch of new enemies: Illinois Nazis, the owner of a hillbilly music joint, a country band and just about every last cop in all of Illinois, not to mention a mysterious woman who wants to kill them. To say the movie is over the top is an understatement.

The Blues Brothers is and will always be one of the cult-iest cult classic movies in the history of cinema ever.

Here’s the theatrical trailer.

Part of what makes the Blues Brothers the Blues Brothers are their trademark outfits: black hats, sunglasses, black suits, black ties, shirts that used to be white, black shoes. Elwood’s car, the “Bluesmobile”, a black-and-white 1974 Dodge Monaco Sedan police cruiser ex California Highway Patrol Mount Prospect City Police, fits this perfectly and has become one of the most famous and iconic movie vehicles ever.

It’s also worth mentioning that the Blues Brothers, through Saturday Night Live, their concerts and the movie, brought soul and rhythm & blues music from before the arrival of disco back to public awareness.

The Blues Brothers in a pony nutshell:  

Left to right, top to bottom:

Dan Aykroyd a.k.a. Elwood J. Blues, secondary singer and harmonica player. John Belushi a.k.a. “Joliet Jake” Blues, lead singer.

Richard J. Daley Center, Chicago, IL.

Chicago cops trying to catch the Blues Brothers in a monumental car chase.

Henry Gibson as The Führer of the Illinois Nazis. The All-Star Blues Brothers Band: Lou “Blue Lou” Marini, Steve “The Colonel” Cropper, Alan “Mr. Fabulous” Rubin, Willie “Too Big” Hall, Murphy “Murph” Dunne, Donald “Duck” Dunn, Tom “Bones” Malone, Matt “Guitar” Murphy, all as themselves. Charles Napier as Tucker McElroy, the leader of the country band The Good Ole Boys from which the Blues Brothers have stolen a gig.

Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin as herself as the owner of the Soul Food Cafe on Maxwell Street and in-movie wife of band member Matt “Guitar” Murphy who doesn’t want him to hang around with the Blues Brothers again and tries to hold him back by redoing her big hit Think. Carrie Fisher as the Mystery Woman who tries to kill the Blues Brothers with very heavy weaponry. Ray Charles as himself as the owner of Ray’s Music Exchange, singing and playing a cover of the Five Du-Tones’ Shake A Tailfeather with the Blues Brothers and their band.
marchgusty

apologies in advance for my long post, this is the most suggestions i’ve seen in a while  
@StarStorm1  
Icy Waves  
Dusk Wonder  
Beachcomber  
Silver Seas  
Cottongrape  
Midnight Berry  
Tropical Chop  
Wisteria Day

@StarStorm1  
Granite Crush  
[can’t think of a good name for this one - cactus cutie mark]  
Citrus Surprise  
Salsa Sweet

@StarStorm1

[can’t think of a good name for this one - antique bird cutie mark]  
Strawberry Laurel  
Violetta Berry Pie

@StarStorm1  
Jasmine Spray  
[can’t think of a good name for this one - pink cutie-unmarked mare]  
Oasis Breeze (left) and Cherry Mango (right)  
Silver Shimmer  
Dreamy Sky  
Ice Blue  
Still Life Bright  
[can’t think of a good name for this one - faux-zebra stallion]

@StarStorm1  
Flowerpress  
Ocean Berry [from the pic description]

@Dirty Bit  
Starfish Tide

Geez Louise, that’s a LOT of ponies.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta

Huckleberry Crush wins by 5-4

Breezy Serenade wins by 7-6

Iced Berry wins by 7-6

>>2387316t (merged)

Banana Mash wins by 8-5

Horseshoe Ranch and Lavender Blues tie by 5-5

Cherry Buckaroo and Cherry Cream wins by 4-4

Peacn Pie wins by 5-4

Wildflower Wishes and Retail Market tie by 3-3

Lemony Crubmle wins by 5-3

Red Ribbons wins by 7-3

Cobalt Stone wins by 6-4

Blue Bureau wins by 6-4

Checklist Charmer wins by 6-5

Mauve Violette wins by 6-4
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
Yoshimon1
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@Mildgyth  
Nice, another two names for my collection.

@Mildgyth  
#567 I noticed that she’s a pegasus in other screencaps she appears in, so this particular screencap might be a case of missing wings.  

As for a name, I can’t really make out her cutie mark, but it kinda looks like a drop of blood. Together with her probably being a pegasus, I’ll go with Red Sparrow, based on that one spy movie.

Edit: Checking screencaps again while tagging Breezy Serenade from last vote, I found two more screenshots of her as an earth pony. But this time, her cutie marks seems to be flipped vertically. This is confusing.  

I still have no idea what that’s supposed to be. Closest thing could be a red ♪ eight note maybe? So here, a good name might be Red Quaver.

#572 Country Harmonics

#575 He has a blue leaf as cutie mark, so I’m going with Hosta Blue.
Background Pony #105C
@Mildgyth  
Crimson Bow  
Emerald Skies  
(No name suggestion)  
Daffodil Flowers  
(No name suggestion)  
Shamrock Melody  
Artic Hooves  
Rusty Luck  
(No name suggestion)  
(No name suggestion)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide