MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Myoozik
@Cosmas-the-Explorer
So here’s the thing about Abridged Series:
“Abridge” means “to make shorter and more concise”. These days, it’s a catch-all term for dubbing over existing footage and trying to be funny, and a lot of people forget what made the original YGOTAS and DBZ Abridged tick. Most of early YGOTAS consisted of removing most of the duel, and just literally describing what was happening in the episode. And for Yu-Gi-Oh! and Fix, what’s going on is usually so absurd that the jokes write themselves. Me and some friends were watching normal Yu-Gi-Oh!, and on more than one occasion, we went “Are we sure we’re not watching The Abridged Series?” It’s only funny if you have the context from watching the official show.
Then you have something like SAO Abridged, which is basically a complete remake of the story and characters, all done by fans. In fact, SAO Abridged stand completely on its own. (For the record, if you like the humor in G5, you’d probably like SAO Abridged)
You can’t really do either with G5. You can’t make an absurdist parody of something that’s already its own absurdist parody, and one of the complaints about the movie is that it wasn’t longer. So trying to abridge it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@hironakamura
That was good. I liked the cast. My kind of peeps. Remarkable that almost all of them called Argyle getting “Disney’d”. Cool that they picked up on a lot of easter eggs that I never noticed, even after watching the movie a dozen times now. I want to know what that note in Latin said.
Kind of a strange way to take in such an anticipated event. Like, I thought you were only supposed to MST3K bad movies. In a way I feel glad that my first view was when I was alone, because it gave me an emotional connection with the characters that I didn’t really notice here. But since I’ve seen it several times now, this felt more like watching a classic with friends.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@ichiban iceychan 1517
I probably should have split up my post better. Also probably should have included the fact that both YGOTAS and SAO Abridged are still going, and that each new episode gets a million views within the first few weeks.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@hironakamura
Collectively, they sum up pretty much all the pros and cons that have been discussed here. Nice to know that there seems to be a general consensus in both departments.
One thing of note is how they, like many here, seem to be concerned with what the new series will look like, as far as the quality of the animation. But since this is a Netflix show, is that really something to be concerned about? Because I’ve seen some Netflix shows that looked like they were really damned expensive to produce. After setting such a high bar, why would Hasbro suddenly go cheap?
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
After setting such a high bar, why would Hasbro suddenly go cheap?
Because that what Hasbro does, I mean have you seen their toys, lol. But seriously, even though the models might not be as high of quality as the movie, it most likely will still look good.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@northern haste
Yeah, I can imagine it. I used Maya 3D and Substance Painter a couple of years ago and it’s INSANELY hard to model, animating, rig a character and rendering a series of frames, even a basic one.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the specials we’ll get are animated in 2D. That said, about the quality animation of the film, I don’t think it’s the 3D or 2D animation what makes art meaningful, but the quality of expression and perception.
The Minions film is 3D animation, but that doesn’t make it meaningful. The MLP film is 2D animation, but it has likeable characters, creativity, some themes, a nice redemption arc, a great soundtrack… And an easy example, the Pixar films. It’s 3D animation, but that isn’t what makes them great, it’s the characters, themes, soundtrack, atmosphere, settings, etc.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I forgot about that. xD
I think they nailed it with the art direction in the film considering they were working with 3D animation tools, textures, rigs, rendering, etc. I don’t think the special will have the same budget as A new generation in terms of production value, but I think the characters will be very appealing within the limitations.
Background Pony #DA4B
The Mane Five wearing 80s fashion.
You just know Zipp would wear a suit with shoulder pads.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide