MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@Shimmering Spectacle
Sawtooth’s video? It’s definitely a interesting theory but I don’t think the writers were thinking about all that. Plus, that would require the mentioning of the human realm, which tbh I don’t want to be part of g5, but who knows, that can always change.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@Shimmering Spectacle
Interesting idea but it’s assuming there is a finite amount of pony magic. In the movie, Izzy said that magic just stopped suddenly, which means it didn’t run dry. But whatever happened to the magic, safe to say the crystals were involved.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I’m curious why people are ressistant to this idea that Sprout might be ignoring an incredible talent he has
Occam’s Razor.
We never get any scenes of him tinkering, or a montage of him designing it. Nothing to suggest he’s good at designing things. If Sprout designed CanterLogic’s stuff, you’d think Phyllis would credit him during the expo.
I would believe that if there was at least one smart worker pony working in canterlogic. But there weren’t any. You see them sleeping or slacking off or even even almost accidentally hurting each other.
The unicorn traps, splattapults, and balloon backpack work. If the ponies at the factory couldn’t do their jobs, they’d be fired. Sprout never works on the machine, nor does he say anything technical about it. He just checks in on its construction and then pilots it.
Compare that to the Canterlogic expo part of the movie where the chubby pony that looks like Snips was specifically shown to not know how to operate the demo machine that Sunny got into
He did know how to operate it. It was just designed in such a way that the demo couldn’t be aborted without unplugging it.
Look at how he pilots Sprouticus Maximus. He knew exactly how to operate a thing that no ones ever seen before.
Sprout had no problems controlling his robot, making it do exactly what he wanted.
That doesn’t really prove anything. A few months ago, I tried out an automatic coffee machine that I’d never seen before, and had zero issues using it. What’s more likely: that I’m a genius savant, or that the controls for the machine were designed to be intuitive?
So you have factory workers that are bumbling, but still produce things that work. You have Sprout, who’s mechanical aptitude hasn’t been formally established. It seems more likely that he explained what Sprouticus Maximus was supposed to do in layman’s terms, then the CanterLogic engineers made it happen, and that they designed the controls to be easy and intuitive.
hironakamura
Artist -

@DerpyFast
What Canterlogic engineers were you talking about? That’s my point there weren’t any. The only one in charge of the project was actually Sprout. Even Phyllis literally says it was his project. Occam’s razor suggests that if there was no other pony representing the work force leader and Sprout was the only pony answerable to the project, the most likely conclusion is that, he was Sprouticus Maximus’s architect. Even though we didn’t see him tinkering with anything, nothing also suggests he couldn’t. The drawing on the board has questionable quality but it DOES suggest he designed it because of the drawings. I don’t think you should compare a custom built machine to a massed produced coffee maker. Mass produced devices are designed to be easily understood by the masses. I think a better comparison would be intuitively knowing how to install ubuntu in an android device without ever realizing it was possible.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

We never get any scenes of him tinkering, or a montage of him designing it. Nothing to suggest he’s good at designing things. If Sprout designed CanterLogic’s stuff, you’d think Phyllis would credit him during the expo.
Plus Sprout’s cutie mark is a plant - kind of hard to tie that to engineering.
Just because we didn’t see any engineering staff on-camera doesn’t mean they weren’t there.
hironakamura
Artist -

@DoctorWTF
CMs don’t always reflect the skill. Sometimes they reflect destiny. What do machines do? They create progress. Growth. A Sprout is synonymous with growing. Just look at Rarity’s 3 diamonds. Her talent is to find diamonds. Diamonds she uses to make clothing. And she’s more synonymous with making clothing than finding diamonds.
In a mass production factory, workers talk to the engineer about whatever it is they’re making. If they’re making Sprout’s robot, the engineers should be talking to Sprout. Now here’s the problem. The workers directly talked to Sprout. What does that suggest? Sprout’s the engineer because there’s no middle man/pony.
Here’s the setup. We have Phyllis who owns a factory that mass produces tech. At first I thought Phyllis designs the tech like some kind of Tony Stark character. But its shown she only runs the business aspect of the company. Her cutie mark shows bar graphs of stocks. She has a lot of workers in her factory but they’re just workers. Anyone who’s worked in a factory knows you don’t need a degree in mechanical engineering to work there. You just need to be man power. There’s a missing link here. Who designed the splatapults? Who designed the unicorn box traps? Someone needed to have built the very first one before it could be mass produced. The guy that draws the bridge to make sure it doesn’t buckle under a certain weight is not the same guy that mixes the cement and rivets the i-beams. Based on the picture I posted, Sprout’s the only one that drew and designed anything tech related in the whole movie. The quality is childish but it does not go against its function as plans for the designs of Sprouticus Maximus. Plus he’s also Phyllis’s son. He has a connection to the person that does own the company that mass produces the tech.
Another thing that’s curious is why does Sprout not work for Canterlogic? His mom coddles him so through nepotism, he could have easily been a vestigial manager at Canterlogic. Instead, he opted to play second fiddle to Hitch as the town’s deputy instead of being his own boss at his mom’s company. So with the missing engineer at Canterlogic and Sprout choosing to suffer as a deputy (a job that he’s not good at), I think Sprout does not embrace his talents with machines because it has nothing to do with his childhood dream of becoming the town’s sheriff.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
Another thing that’s curious is why does Sprout not work for Canterlogic?
Because he’s lazy.
A Sprout is synonymous with growing.
You’re right with this one. And because of the obvious name choice, we already have a idea on what the writers are gonna do with him.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

A Sprout is synonymous with growing.
You’re right with this one. And because of the obvious name choice, we already have a idea on what the writers are gonna do with him.
Hmmm… Now there’s an interesting interpretation of Sprout’s situation. I’d been wondering whether he’d work to win the other ponies’ respect, or be stuck in a rut of “chronic screwup butt-monkey”. We’ll see what happens.
hironakamura
Artist -

@DaddyMakesMeEUHH
Yeah, he’s lazy. But that’s what nepotism is. You get the part even though you don’t qualify for it. Based on how Sprout’s mom treats him, the only reason I could think of why Sprout does not work in Canterlogic is because he chooses not to. He probably hates being deputy to Hitch but he does it anyway because he’s following his dream.
@hironakamura
If Sprout designed CanterLogic’s stuff, you’d think Phyllis would credit him during the expo.
Its called branding. Canterlogic gets the credit. Its the same reason why all the chinese slaves that make your iphones or your nike high tops don’t get any credit. Besides, I don’t even think Sprout’s on Canterlogic’s payroll. He doesn’t work there. He could just show his ideas to his mom and she mass produces it at the factory. Maybe he does it on his own or maybe she asks him. I’m more inclined to think she asks him than doing it on his own especially if it gets in his way of doing his deputy work.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
Based on how Sprout’s mom treats him, the only reason I could think of why Sprout does not work in Canterlogic is because he chooses not to.
I agree and disagree. I agree with the fact that Sprout doesn’t work in Canterlogic because he doesn’t want to, but I also think even if he wanted to he wouldn’t work there because his mother doesn’t trust him like that.
hironakamura
Artist -

@DaddyMakesMeEUHH
She trusts him enough to get the towns folk under control as acting sheriff while Hitch was away. Hypothetically if his mom gave him a job at Canterlogic, all he’d be doing is keeping the workers in line. Its easy to imagine Sprout would like that if all he wanted was to boss ponies around or if all he wanted was power. But no. He’s the deputy and Hitch is his boss.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
She trusts him enough to get the towns folk under control as acting sheriff while Hitch was away.
Yeah, because she’s a supportive mother. It was his job and he was the only pony there who is supposed to protect. She’s been working at the company for “20 moons” basically making faulty technology, so she didn’t really know what to do either. Heck, she trusts Hitch more than her own son, but she still loves him and support him of course.
Hypothetically if his mom gave him a job at Canterlogic, all he’d be doing is keeping the workers in line. Its easy to imagine Sprout would like that if all he wanted was to boss ponies around or if all he wanted was power.
Yeah I can see that. But that’s basically all I see him doing. Phyllis would definitely not trust him to rule Canterlogic without her supervision.
hironakamura
Artist -

@GoodVibesGorgeous
The earth ponies didn’t even know they lost any kind of magic. The movie played off the idea that there were only 2 crystals. Anyone who is not familiar with mlp will actually believe that because earth ponies just look like regular ponies. I also vaguely remember a long time ago, the writers were talking about making sure all three pony tribes had their unique form of magic this time around. It involved making Twilight into an earth pony when they were originally going to use re-imagined versions of the g4 ponies for g5. Whatever magic it is, I don’t think it only involves strength or growing food this time.
Background Pony #DA4B
Izzy challenges Alphabittle to an arts and crafts making contest.
Izzy wins by making a perfect replica of Michelangelo’s David out of modeling clay.
Background Pony #A66E
Since the Siege of the Crystal Empire isn’t canon. If they choose King Sombra to be the first villain of G5, do you think Sunny will try to befriend him?
Background Pony #B628
I kind-of feel it’s too early for them to face a major unicorn (or any pony with magic) threat, especially since The tribes only recently agreed to set aside their prejudices and become friends again. Sombra showing up might “justify” the early uncicorn prejudices about them being evil and make them go “See! We never should have helped them recover their magic!”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide