MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
It would be nice to have more flashbacks of the mane five’s and Sprout’s childhoods in the tv show.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
@TOMNICE
Odds are we will. Flashbacks to childhood are used a lot in storytelling, to the point of almost being obligatory over the course of long series, because they help to explain the mental state of an adult character in the present. And of course they were used a fair bit throughout FiM.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@Background Pony #B75D
I’ll say she’s long gone since I don’t believe time is slower in the EG universe unless someone can show evidence which they don’t or can’t, that also simply isn’t the upload schedule being at wrong times as it could take place during that even if uploaded after The Last Problem.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

refried sans lard
@DoctorWTF
Speaking of flashbacks, I also hope we learn more about the supposed “epic battle” between the pony races that Sprout & Hitch where talking about at the beginning of the movie. Hitch confirmed that a one-sided version of the event was taught in school. This appears to be point on the timeline where the three tribes stopped talking to each other. What were the circumstances that led up to the fight? Or was it all just a big lie the Earth Ponies made up to feel better about themselves? For now it seems to be at the center of the mystery of why the pony races went their separate ways.
Zerowinger
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Pinto Bean
I believe that at some point between G4 and G5, there was a massive, apocalyptic level catastrophe that shattered Equestrian society. Whether that was a natural disaster, a war, or the nefarious act of a villain, the end result was that Equestrian civilization as we knew it collapsed.
In the aftermath, there was probably infighting amongst the survivors, who slowly but inevitably separated themselves by tribe in order to survive. The disturbing thing is that with this being a post-apocalyptic situation, the stories Sprout and other Earth ponies told about the Pegasi and the Unicorns (that they snatched ponies up, fried their brains, and ate them) may not entirely be false. Pegasi and Unicorns probably did fight and kill Earth ponies (and each other), and there may have in fact been cases where they did engage in cannibalism. However, this of course was not due to any inherent evil nature of the Unicorns and Pegasi, but due to the fact that they had been pushed to edge by an utterly desperate situation.
I’ve actually been watching the Fall of Civilizations channel on YouTube in the past months, and seeing the profiles of Empires and civilizations in our own world that collapsed has given some food for thought. There probably was a slow decline in the power and stability of Equestria in the centuries following the events of G4 (especially after Twilight Sparkle passed), small cracks and fissures started to appear in society and they were never fully addressed by the powers that be and they inexorably grew to become serious problems, and then whatever the apocalyptic event was occurred and it broke the proverbial camel’s back.
Pinto Bean
Non-Fungible Trixie -

refried sans lard
@hironakamura
It pains me to say it, but this could be a real possibility. It would be like Sombra to use manipulation and divide & conquer stratagem to make Equestria fall and then swoop in and take power. At that point, he’d be to Equestria as Sauron is to Middle Earth.
@Zerowinger
Dude, that’s dark. We’re talking about ponies here.
Pinto Bean
Non-Fungible Trixie -

refried sans lard
@Shimmering Spectacle
The “dark force” theory does seem like the most plausible explanation for the Great Pony Diaspora. It doesn’t make much sense otherwise to say that one day ponies just decided to start being racist. Now, the sky is the limit as far as making a villain that could fill that role. Yeah you could make the argument that, being conceived as a Sauron-ish bad guy, Sombra never really reached his full potential in FiM. Still I can’t help but think that they could just as well come up with a new character to be that all-encompassing evil presence in NewGen.
Bringing back Sombra would create continuity problems for the writers. Like explaining how Sombra managed to survive the time gap while other immortal types did not. Is Sombra immortal? If so, how? Is Sombra a pony? Or an umbrum? There still seems to be a lot of confusion in this area and it seems like the FiM writers more or less left it up to interpretation. Bringing him back would make more sense if he were considered an umbrum, and not a pony. But if he is fact just a pony, how does one explain how a pony could be so unbelievably sinister? It’s like imagining a G1 or G3 pony violently colliding with something out of H.P. Lovecraft. To me, it just doesn’t compute.
But, if they do ultimately bring him back, so be it.
hironakamura
Artist -

@Pinto Bean
I still don’t believe Sombra will appear in G5 only because the news came from a toy. But damn, if its real, the G5 series is gonna be really complex.
Sunny gave magic back to the non earth ponies. She’s pushing this idea that ponies don’t use their magic on each other and that there’s nothing to be afraid of. But Sombra is still technically a unicorn using unicorn magic. If G5 really does bring back Sombra, G5 is going to subvert its own narrative. That’s amazing for a kids show. That’s like anime levels of subversion.
Background Pony #F2AE
@Pinto Bean
I still don’t believe Sombra will appear in G5 only because the news came from a toy. But damn, if its real, the G5 series is gonna be really complex.
Sunny gave magic back to the non earth ponies. She’s pushing this idea that ponies don’t use their magic on each other and that there’s nothing to be afraid of. But Sombra is still technically a unicorn using unicorn magic. If G5 really does bring back Sombra, G5 is going to subvert its own narrative. That’s amazing for a kids show. That’s like anime levels of subversion.
Not likely. The movie has in a way predetermined how villains and antagonists should be in G5 S1, we saw it in the final scene when the balloon pony is startled by the sight of Mane 5. This means that Sunny will find irreconcilable ponies who could think of using magic to create division. between pony tribes. There are certainly other unicorn communities out there where unicorns are not as passive and depressed as in Bridlewood, as Equestria is a large country and the magic has probably spread to several million ponies.
I bet the pegasi are gathered under the rule of Queen Haven, not only are they deeply militaristic, disciplined and industrial, they are also very obedient under a belief that their leader should have absolute power. So it is likely that Zephyr Heights is the capital of a great empire, all the technology we see there is 100% impossible in a country with few resources and small population. But since the queen was thrown out, it is possible that there are dissatisfied pegasias that could be a problem for Sunny.
So the Mane 5 will thus find ponies that will resist the new Equestria, either to continue their prejudices - or to abuse the magic that has returned. Sombra is a little too much; after all, he managed to outmaneuver two alicorns and took his empire with him during the defeat, and then been very close to winning against the Mane 6 for the first time. It shows that he is a superb tactician and planner who is a league over Sunny, who is probably not even a permanent alicorn - and magically, his experience and expertise will make him the most powerful in the whole world.
He’s simply too much for the G5, who’s just got the magic back. If Grogar lurks in the background, it means that Sunny and her friends are in a very abrupt learning curve to learn magic, restore the Equestria, return friendship and harmony to the ponies (and later non-ponies) in all three seasons from S1 to S3. They need to face challenges in line with their growing learning ability, Sombra will simply overtake them in S1 without major problems.
Furthermore; what kind of message does it give if the wicked can survive the good over and over again? Sombra should remain buried with the Mane 6 (with the possible exception of Twilight who may appear in S3 at the latest) as the past of the G5.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Background Pony #F2AE
I’m surprised they picked Sombra. He never got a toy for g4, did he? So why would Hasbro care enough to mention him?
Also he’s one of the villains most certainly dead. There’s Tirek, Chrysalis and Cozy who have the most potential to make an actual return. Not that I want them back at this point. G5 should stick to its primaries for the moment.
hironakamura
Artist -

@Dex Stewart
My guess is because he’s the easiest to translate into g5’s 3dcg art style. He’s already a pony. No need to go crazy making new 3d models. Same with Cozy Glow but she doesn’t have any powers.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide