MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
I’m loving these beautiful renderings of the homes in Bridlewood, which was my favorite setting in MLP:ANG by a long mile. Bridlewood is said to be enchanted. How? I don’t know, but I am very curious about the origins of this mysterious place. Just a thought - I’m guessing that a group of unicorns settled there after losing their magic, because being close to the magic of Bridlewood was the next best thing.
Because of the crystals, I once thought that Bridlewood could be the remnants of the Crystal Empire, but looking at the size of these trees I have to think that Bridlewood is indeed a very very old place. Perhaps Bridlewood could still be connected to the CE somehow, but I no longer think that they are the same place.
TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Shiny Bug
I figured it was meant to be a noodle incident thing where we never actually find out why, because it’s funnier that way.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
@Litrojia
@TOMNICE
I agree with this critique. On one level, I can sort of understand them not using any explicit G4 locations but they did play up with it being connected in marketing and have a Mane6 cameo that was pretty big. It would have been cool to have seen something a little more. I suppose we might get something in the future show but I am still one of the ones who thinks the connections to G4 will be weaker.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@TheFinite
So here are my thoughts on it.
  1. See? I knew it was just a magic effect.
  2. No comment
  3. So the cutie marks on both sides in g4 was not only unintentional due to the animation limit but otherwise accepted?
  4. Doesn’t stop us from calculating exactly how long.
  5. Then why connect if it’s a reboot? You can replace anything g4-esqe and it’ll be no different and effective can be considered separate from g4
6 and 7. No comment.
  1. Um, then how do you explain Cloudpuff and the winged mice?
  2. Okay.
  3. Good to know
  4. No comment
  5. Gross? G4 has been doing it for years because how do hooves work?
  6. No comment
  7. Do they even need a 6th now? Insert Background Applejack joke.
  8. You heard it guys. They listened.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I think it’s nice that the writers want to put their own spin on it instead of trying to emulate G4. And, judging by the story of that G5 comic, then I think it’s pretty safe to say that it’s in good hands.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Sunny isn’t an alicorn
Makes sense. She isn’t even an alicorn and her transformation still makes more sense than Twilight.
single-side CM
Interesting that the double-side thing was more a product of Flash animation than anything else. It makes sense though. I feel like the CM is based on branding, and you’d only brand one side of the horse.
avoiding G4 locations
Less is more. I think giving themselves the freedom to include or ignore locations from G4 as they see fit is the right way to go. I never really cared for locations like Manehatten or Las Pegasus anyways.
Argyle is dead
After waiting seven years for answers about Applejack’s parents, I respect the hell out of them making things pretty unambiguous with Argyle.
No concrete reason for the races splitting
Gotta be honest here. I think a lot of people wanted to know the reason upfront, so they could declare it to be “not good enough” and preemptively write off G5. You’d have to frontload too much lore to make a casual viewer understand or care about the reason anyways. It’s probably fine for the movie, but I hope they’ve settled on a concrete reason going into the series.
hooves
The inconsistent rules for how ponies use things was kind of distracting in G4, and I am so glad they just said “Ponies have magnetic hooves. Deal with it”. It seems to have resulted in more believable ergonomics anyways, so I see this as an absolute win.
five characters
Movies benefit from having fewer main characters, and TV shows often benefit from having more. Five characters seems like a good compromise (even if Pipp was woefully underdeveloped).
Ring Team
Artist -

@Latecomer
My take on this is that they wanted to treat the G4 more like a symbol of what it represented in the past rather than trying to make a sequel of G4.
Now that I mention it, I find this very paradoxical because Friendship is Magic used to be a BIG deal back in 2012, in the same way that friendship was a huge thing in the context of A new generation. It’s unconventional in comparison to what most people expected from a sequel, but I think it works in the context of everything.
But yeah, I agree that’s probably one of the many Hasbro’s shenanigans.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Latecomer
I don’t think so. I’d even argue that it’s less consistent than the fans imagined. It’s a procedurally-generated story getting more and more off the rails.
In Made in Manehattan it’s established that Applejack has a sudden fear of huge crowds, but it doesn’t make sense to show that since the audience saw her being completely fine in Manehattan in Cutie Mark Chronicles and Rarity takes Manehattan, both from season 1 and 4 respectively.
Pinkie Pie had 2 sisters, not 3. I won’t say it as a reason to dislike Maud Pie. She was great in some episodes, but I kinda wish she was one of the two sisters instead of randomly throwing another sister.
Pinkie Pie became more annoying in the later seasons, to the point where an episode was written as an excuse for her to go insane (Yakity-Sax and Secrets and Pies). I’m very glad that it wasn’t the case for The last laugh. It would have been very easy and very tempting to write an episode where she annoys Cheese Sandwich for 22 minutes.
The writers have thrown the idea of Applejack and Pinkie Pie being related, but very little else. They haven’t toyed with the idea enough to the point where there was no conclusion (either being related or not related). I wanted to see a conclusion, even a small one, not an episode entirely dedicated to that conclusion.
Rainbow Dash is supposed to care about her little turtle, but, after seeing her feeding the turtle with unhealthy food in Secrets and Pies (in this case, cake), I have a hard time believing that she actually cares about her turtle.
The writers wanted Twilight to become a princess in season 3, which was fine, although I thought she would have been better as a teacher considering her character features. And then they wanted her to be a teacher in season 8 not only her, but also the Mane 6. Unfortunately, some of the main characters are not written to be teachers, such as Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Starlight Glimmer.
In Call of the Cutie it was established that the cutie marks represent their talent, the uniqueness of each pony, which was a beautiful idea. But in Cutie Map, Starlight kinda swaps cutie marks like nothing. I think this skill completely invalidates the personal aspect and the point of having a cutie mark. When you have a talent, you perfected it and you make a living with your own talent and effort, that doesn’t matter because Starlight is gonna take that away from you whenever she wants and however she wants. And I think it shouldn’t have been this way. It’s like seeing a human playing God.
Starlight as a new redeemed character is a really cool idea to talk about redemption and empathy, but I don’t think that’s what we got at all. Starlight using her magic to manipulate everyone (including age regression spells, brainwash spells, hypnosis and exterminating a draconequus) and swap cutie marks in an abusive way to achieve her personal goals and being a complete jerk with essentially everyone is really bad. Using magic to solve friendship problems and/or learning about friendship shouldn’t be a solution for a character who was previously a villain.
The show clearly questions Discord because he was evil in season 2. That makes sense. But the entire Ponyville and Canterlot don’t give the same treatment for Starlight. And, like Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow, Starlight has done so many horrible things that she has no redeeming value. And she never faced any consequences, just like Discord. They’re as bad as each other but the show desperately wants you to think she’s better.
Trixie is supposed to be someone who has learned from her mistakes, but I don’t think it was the case here, especially in episodes where she was thinking about herself (like All Bottled Up) and how she blames everyone for jugding her (which, by the way, she is the last pony to talk about judgement considering what happened in Boast Busters and Magic Duel). In A Horse Shoe-in, Trixie doesn’t learn anything. She wants something, there are obstacles, she gets what she wants. The end. Despite her causing all this trouble, she still gets exactly what she wants. She whines and complains, and in the end, she’s rewarded for it. There’s no sense of effort from Trixie’s part.
Queen Chrysalis was probably the most mishandled character I’ve seen in the show. From showing up at the end of season 2 to briefly appear in season 5 to briefly appear in season 6 (including an UGLY redesign of the changelings), to briefly appear in season 8 and to finally appear as frequent as she could in season 9.
Speaking of villains, I don’t remember what the point of Cozy Glow was. I don’t mind typical villains with ambitions, but these villains needed to be fleshed out.
I like MLP:FiM, but I wouldn’t say it was consistent while being aware of its problems.
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@Ring Team
How would you explain this? >>539316
And this was before her debut in a episode featuring her name.
Also in hindsight, she kinda ‘annoyed’ Cheese Sandwich but not in her typical way.
Rainbow Dash appears to had cared too much about Tank at the expense of others. For what point? To show her flaws albeit too much.
Well looky here, there’s the Starlight rant I’ve been waiting for. If it makes you happy, Melspyrose has granted you that wish. Just not sure if you had seen it.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Phoenixflambe
About Maud Pie, I know that scene, and it was cute, but I wish she was in season 1, back in Cutie Mark Chronicles, with the other three sisters. It’s not that big of a deal because at least the character is cool and Pinkie Pride is a good episode.
And… who’s Melspyrose?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide