MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Eh I don’t know, I feel like that would be skewering too much into extremes and would’ve been too preachy for a movie like this
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I think the movie did well in showing predujices from both sides, because all the three types of ponies had prejudices that came from gossip that’s only there to talk trash about other ponies, which is exactly what people unfortunately do, either to survive or to make themselves look great in comparison, especially in my country (here, gossip is like a sport, as if by talking down on people will guarantee a badge of honour).
hironakamura
Artist -

@DoctorWTF
Yeah its been observed by other people before. Sunny wanted to make friends with non earth ponies because of what they are and not who they are. In itself, that’s kind of racist and dangerous. She just lucked out she made friends with nice ponies. What if she tried to make friends with genuinely dangerous ones. The term “stranger danger” has a meaning.
hironakamura
Artist -

@Latecomer
The best character arc in the movie was Hitch. He started out not trusting non earth ponies. Basically just like 99% of the ponies in that world. But when he got to know non earth ponies, he changed his mind. Sunny had no such character arc. I wish she did but each character needed to play a role and that was her role.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I think it all works, to be honest.
The movie has three core messages:
  • Step outside your echo chamber and form your own opinions.
  • Everyone’s a little bit racist, but that doesn’t make them an irredeemable bigot. Seriously, go listen to the song.
  • Emotional arguments only work if the person is predisposed to agreeing with it. You change someone’s mind by appealing to their experiences and sensibilities.
At the start of the movie, Sunny has a romanticized view of unicorns and pegasi, based on her father’s research. When we flash forwards, we understand that Sunny has had to become more mature and independent as a result of Argyle’s passing. However, her view of unicorns and pegasi hasn’t evolved; it’s still shallow and superficial, and it’s still just her repeating things her father said. It’s worth noting that if Maretime Bay had extended the hoof of friendship, we can infer how that would have played out based on the standoff between the unicorns and pegasi in Bridlewood. A standoff that Sunny was only able to diffuse because of information she had gathered herself.
Sunny spends the second act having her own perception of unicorns and pegasi challenged. The Sunny that crashed the CanterLogic presentation isn’t the same Sunny that re-united the three tribes, and I think the movie just trusts the audience to understand how she grows from her journey.
Sunny being a little bit racist means that she isn’t “better” than anyone else. At the same time, the offensiveness goes completely over Izzy’s head. Her obliviousness to things that could offend her makes her happier overall, and helps her bond with Sunny. Most of the prejudice is based on misinformation rather than genuine malice.
Edit: Where I’m currently at is that Sunny had an arc, but the payoff is unconscious/unspoken. It’s entirely possible that the emperor has no clothes, though. I think this is the litmus test: the next time we see Sunny, is there an emphasis on her doing her own research rather than repeating things she’s heard?
Latecomer

@DerpyFast
It is possible that the arc is just too subtle for me, I guess. I would like to think that maybe makes it too subtle for the target audience too, but perhaps that’s just my ego.
Still, my main comparison here is Twilight’s arc in the FIM opener, which was pretty spelled out.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I keep saying this, but, even though I like the first two episodes of MLP:FiM better in comparison to this film, I think this arc works better in the film than how it would have worked in G4.
MLP:FiM has a very idealistic context, with a good difference in between good characters and obvious villains. A New Generation has a very Simpsons/South Park/The Office context, where most characters are jerks but they can get away with it. And that aspect can work to touch some relatable themes in a believable context.
Background Pony #3B69
Would you rather have Sprout be reformed, or have him be Sunny’s archenemy, who’s the antithesis of everything Sunny believes in?
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
in this version the crystal was used as a power source for a weather machine Zephyr Heights uses and apparently all 3 crystals are running out of power.
it running low on power causes the weather machine to malfunction and causes freak snow/rain storms, and causes Sunny and co to abandon their original heist plan and just grab it during the ensuring chaos.
hironakamura
Artist -

@Myoozik
There doesn’t need to be an antithesis. There’s a reason why environmentalists hated Captain Planet. In the show, the narrative frames all pollution is caused by these group of recurring villains and when the good guys beat them up, it solves the pollution problem. We all know it doesn’t work that way irl.
The issues mlpg5 tackled are also based on irl scenarios. It would be such a false message to teach kids that all you have to do to solve the world’s problems is to blame it on one group and then punish them.
Background Pony #5BF1
@Phoenixflambe
Not really. This is an early concept. The pegasi can fly just fine without magic in this storyboard. But in the movie we can see that they can’t. This is probably when they didn’t know if they wanted a reboot or not.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@hironakamura
I mean ultimately, it’s a superhero thing. Beating up bad guys don’t solve anything. It’s not that the bad guys are the cause of the problem, it’s a force of nature, and we all know never to go against it
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide