MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Hali the Emoji girl
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Goth Cinnamon Roll
Is anyone else not “feeling” the main cast? I like them but they don’t seem like they will be very interesting to watch interact and stuff. Misantro pony pointed out how similar some of the cast were to the mane six and now i feel like they should gone with non similar looking personalities for them except for izzy, hitch and maybe sunny.
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@Hali the Emoji girl
MisAnthroPony’s comparison between the mane six and the mane five are dumb as hell. Sunny Starscout is nothing like Twilight Sparkle. Izzy Moonbow is energetic but not as much as Pinkie Pie, no more similarities beyond that. Zipp Storm and Rainbow Dash are atheletic tomboys and that is it, no more similarities there either. Pipp Petals is also nothing like Rarity.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I don’t think it’s fair to use the Mane 6 comparison just to be negative to the Mane 5. People love the Mane 6 for their own merits, and that’s cool. But saying that the Mane 5 aren’t as good and using the Mane 6 as an excuse is lame. That’s not a good review.
I don’t know Misanthropony, but based on a couple of videos he made, he sounds like a boomer.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
for better or worse the mane 6 are probably the most well known characters in the MLP franchise, espically towards more casual viewers, so every gen going forward will probably have comparisons about their respective cast being made towards the mane six
Background Pony #45CD
Since the movie had a song in the style of grunge, could we get a song in the style of ska in G5?
Pinto Bean
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
Is anyone else not “feeling” the main cast? I like them but they don’t seem like they will be very interesting to watch interact and stuff. Misantro pony pointed out how similar some of the cast were to the mane six and now i feel like they should gone with non similar looking personalities for them except for izzy, hitch and maybe sunny.
I feel like the movie just didn’t have enough time to go into the details of the main cast. What are their interests? What motivates them? What are their goals? Their strengths? Their flaws? We only got a few clues & tidbits here or there in the movie. I’m certain though that we’ll find out more about them later down the road.
And yeah there are some similarities between the two casts, but one could also argue that there are just as many ways in which they are different. Also keep in mind that MLP has a long tradition of introducing new characters in the current generation that are a nod to characters from older generations, but still unique in their own way. I actually give them some credit for using all different names this time!
hironakamura
Artist -

@Hali the Emoji girl
There’s a lot of stuff going on with the new ponies. More than the old g4 cast had. The movie just did not focus on it because it is not related to the main story.
  1. Sunny. What’s the deal with her father, Argyle? Who is he? Why does he know what he knows?Sunny herself will be exploring all the lore in the series. Finding out what caused the tribe division, etc. She’s the explorer.
  2. Hitch. I don’t know much about him other than his mysterious animal charm powers. If he’s fired from being sheriff in the series, it would be interesting to see what he does moving forward since his power and job don’t really compliment each other.
  3. Zipp and Pipp. You can tell there’s a lot of family issues going on. Pipp is the favorite child but Zipp is poised to be queen. Zipp does not want to be queen while Pipp will sell out anypony if it means she can live like a queen. “Can’t you be more like your sister” are words that really hit hard.
  4. Izzy. Its hinted that she never really had any friends. Does she hide her sadness and lonelyness behind a fake bubbly persona? She also has the power to spot other ponies that are sad and lonely because if her sparkle vision that seemed like a big deal in the movie but was never really used. I’m betting it will be very important for character development in the series.
  5. Sprout. A pony who had the childhood dream of being a sheriff. His dream was taken away from him by his childhood friend because he wasn’t good at it. Ponies have a talent that they’re super good at. Sprout either don’t know his talent or turned his back on it because he’s obsessed with being sheriff. What’s he really good at? Why does he want to be sheriff?
The movie hinted at stuff but if you blink you’ll miss it. There’s a lot of stories there and this is just out of the box. As the characters grow in the series, so will their complexity.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Hali the Emoji girl
I wouldn’t trust Misanthro Pony when it comes to opinions or any other rhetoric.
@Background Pony #45CD
Maybe, depends on what musical style they’ll go for but that would be cool since I do like ska.
@hironakamura
I mean, that’s pretty much expected for a pilot like this. Introduce the basic concepts of the characters, world, dreams and aspirations and such and then build on that in the series. That’s pretty normal.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

As far as comparisons go, it’s kinda fun to compare and contrast Twilight and Sunny.
Both lived in a tower.
Both started their journeys by sending a letter.
Both thirst for knowledge.
Both became alicorns.
Sunny is more adventurous and extraverted, while Twilight is more studious and introverted.
Sunny wants to prove that the idea is right, whereas Twilight wants to prove that she’s right.
Sunny is idealistic while Twilight is more cynical.
Sunny is happy to make new friends, while Twilight is annoyed at first.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@DerpyFast
Imagine if Twilight before Nightmare Moon’s events events and Sunny before A New Generation’s events met each other. They would probably annoy each other greatly.
Twilight the Satisfied Introvert.
Sunny the Reluctant Introvert.
In some alternate world, Sunny seems like the type of pony Twilight would read about and try to look up to. Sunny is more a traditional positive hero like Superman while Twilight is more meant to be relatable and down to earth.
I will say it’s possible Sunny doesn’t learn a whole lot for its own sake. She mostly learns for the sake of creating bonds. In fact I wouldn’t surprises if she was not a good student in say math or physics.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@xLeadMarex
I guess expecting more selfish motivations or bad outcomes of decisions, even her own.
The opposite of hopeful.
Certainly not one to start out thinking friendship solves everything.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@Hali the Emoji girl
That’s good, but his observation really isn’t new. The character comparisons between the two generations was going to happen regardless, but I don’t think it’s something that you should be concerned about. Remember, the Mane 6 themselves do share some personality traits with the characters from the previous generations so this right here is just continuing a tradition that’s been in place for a long time.
Hali the Emoji girl
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Goth Cinnamon Roll
I haven’t really watched the previous ones or at least can’t remember them too well but I did watch the one movie with the smooze in it but I hope the gen 5 series reignites what I felt watching gen 4 again, my love for the show started fading away in season 9.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide