MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Ring Team
You’d only ever establish how a character died, and how other characters reacted, if that information was relevant to the plot.
For example, in Finding Nemo, you’d show that Coral and the eggs were eaten by a barracuda to establish that the ocean is a dangerous, unforgiving place, and how Marlin became an over-protective parent.
In Frozen, you’d include a scene of the sisters attending a funeral because it helps inform where they’re at emotionally when the story starts. Without parents to guide her development, Elsa is stuck in her “conceal, don’t feel” phase, and Anna is completely starved for a human connection.
If they showed Argyle’s death, you’d lose the match cut from filly Sunny going to sleep and adult Sunny waking up. The scene of her waking up and getting ready is bright and upbeat. Sunny walks right past Argyle’s shrine smiling, but the camera stops and holds on it for a few seconds and the music slows. Next time we see Sunny, she’s still smiling. This tells us that whatever happened, it’s not something she dwells on.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

That’s cool. I just kinda wish we had more context about this specific part.
I make it sound like it’s a big deal, but don’t get me wrong, it’s just a nitpick.
Background Pony #121A
There’s a couple of flaws in the theories that Argyle is just missing, or that he was assassinated.
  • It would be unlikely that Argyle would go missing without his two most personal belongings: his glasses and necklace.
  • Considering the attention to detail when it comes to props, you’d expect a “Missing Pony” poster or two around town, or at least in the sheriff’s office.
  • If it was a hit job, you might expect them to also go after Sunny.
  • Killing the father of the sheriff’s childhood friend seems ill-advised. Granted, it could have happened before he became sheriff.
  • As with the above example, you would expect some kind of prop hinting that Hitch is investigating the murder. Something like a case file on his desk or a board with pictures and string.
  • Considering the only weapon we see is are splattapults, the idea of murder doesn’t exactly fit the tone of the movie.
Speaking of, Argyle being dead serves quite a few purposes:
  • It’s part of the contrast between Sunny and Sprout. She’s learned to be an independent pony that honours her father’s work, while Sprout is a momma’s boy that detracts from his mother’s work.
  • It means that the stakes are higher. In the opening, Hitch and Sprout don’t believe Sunny, but her father is there to comfort her. When she fails to convince the town, she is truly on her own. This gives her a stronger need for friends.
  • If Argyle was still alive, he would have to go on the run with Sunny, and the story would be less about Sunny bonding with her new friends and forming her own opinions.
  • In addition to independence, Argyle’s death creates the sense that Sunny has learned to cope with sadness, which gives her two more things to have in common with Izzy and Zipp.
Well said. The movie left no doubt, Argyle’s death can not be doubted, and there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death that would have left their mark on the background of the movie. But that does not rule out the possibility that he was killed by a mysterious party who may have come from outside.
There are two indications that Argyle died prematurely, firstly Sunny had made him promise that they would find out how the ponies went apart - and secondly Grogar’s bell. The movie showed the bell while Argyle was alive, on a table - and after his death his glasses and medallion were at the same camera angle, even though the bell had been moved elsewhere. It is possible that the ponies in Maretime Bay did not notice that there was something unnatural about his death because it was not a normal murder. We know that magic can easily trigger unnatural death that cannot be detected by others.
Although Argyle’s death was important for the plot of the movie and for Sunny to become who she is, and how the Mane 5 originated, it is an opening for future writers that his death may have been accelerated by mysterious forces.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@hironakamura
That’s pretty odd that someone who becomes an absolute Gaddafi-esque dictator and fearmongering a town to go to war against other races has the credibility and reputation to get another job that easily, even if it’s a minimum wage, dead end job. Then again, his mother is an important figure so maybe she could’ve used her influence to help him find something.
Also, your avatar makes me want to run away as fast as I can…
Applepie2021

Nostalgia Purist
@DerpyFast
Yeah, the only angle other than Argyle having passed away that’d make any sense is him being presumed dead, with any potential reunion having Sunny exclaim, “but I thought you were-!” (and being cut off since they’d still be forbidden from mentioning death directly).
Interesting.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Back on tpic, im impressed by the performance of Liza Koshy as Zipp.
no offense to Liza herself but the only acting i know her from was her YouTube Premium show, and she came across as really annoying and unfunny in that, so im glad that this didn’t carry over into her voice work.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide