Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
I’ll copy over my review just for discussion purposes (though the ‘third watch’ has now become a ‘fifth watch’ already)

Ok so… brief thoughts, after a third watch, first and foremost the only criticism worth really voicing is the fairly generic plot, really the same thing the 2017 movie suffered from but in neither case did it really harm the movie that much. Most kids’ movies follow a simple formula anyway. The pacing is also a bit off at times, but hard to say how it could be improved significantly.
Beyond that, excellent. A breath of fresh air and what a way to start a new generation! The visuals are stunning; the colors, lighting, scenery, attention to detail, animation, backgrounds, all a treat. It looks really good. The voice acting is quite good, nothing overly wacky and immersion breaking, and the music is totally fitting for the mood and choice of voice cast. There are some real earworms; they managed to override the Centaurworld and Galavant soundtracks in my head and that’s no small feat.
Primarily though, I love the characters. All of ‘em, exciting fresh new well rounded and interesting characters that should be fleshed out very well by the upcoming show. Found myself liking Hitch and Zipp a lot more than I thought, only Pipp really got the short straw with not really getting to be in the spotlight. With luck the show changes that. It’s very exciting to be introduced to so many great new characters and eagerly await their antics in the future.
The little bit of G4 sprinkled throughout is ok to give a background to the world’s lore, but I really hope there is as little of it as possible in future episodes because that’ll just lead to G5 being compared endlessly to G4 instead of standing on its own merit. Being a continuation in the same world is alright I suppose but a clean break would’ve probably been better for its own success potential. I’m quire satisfied with G4 ending in 2019 and G5 starting in 2021, and meshing the two more than necessary feels weird.

…and then, after reading others’ reviews…

My biggest concern with people’s perceptions of the film/gen is leaning too heavily on the belief that the G5 story has to explicitly wrap back into the convoluted canon of G4 somehow. Even as a diehard avid watcher of G4 since 2011, in my opinion the less that the new gen references, explains, ties back into, or brings up G4 in any way the better, as it will make some refuse to let it stand on its own merit and get it mired deeply in arguments over whether it stays true to the ‘spirit’. As far as I’m concerned, G4 permanently and forever wrapped up on October 12 2019 (and brilliantly imo, I actually rather liked the way S9 closed the book on things) and I can’t find myself concerned at all if any of the species, locations, lore, and canon of the previous gen are ever brought up; I know it’s technically a continuation but I see it as a reset and pretty much only the things introduced within G5 matter within its world. I know a lot of people miss G4 and its characters, but I see new beginnings as a good thing. Let the characters from G4 remain in G4 which is always there for us to rewatch, and enjoy the characters of G5 in their own world as they’re introduced and explored.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Not gonna lie I think the SFM models for this gen will actually look really good with some work. I wasn’t much of a fan of the G4 models since going from 2D flash animation to 3D loses a lot in translation and takes a lot of tweaking to not look plastic and poorly proportioned/awkward. Starting with 3D characters will help a lot.
Background Pony #121A
I have studied the station hall as well as possible as this overthrew all hypotheses and theories about the prehistory before Sunny met Izzy, we had almost automatically assumed that the ponies began to forget Twilight’s message and that friendship began to disappear, so her legacy disappeared - many thought she had failed. What Zipp showed Sunny and Izzy was a very big shock, which revealed that nothing was as they seemed to be. We had assumed that there were several centuries without magic, we had assumed that the technology was developed in the absence of magic and that the conflict between the ponies was well-founded and supported by events that “proved” the hostility of others. All this disappeared like grains of sand.

I automatically concluded that there was too little time between the loss of magic and the beginning of the movie, which suggests that the history books were wrong, and that memory erasure spells may have been used; Zipp explained no one could remember, and Argyle could not explain it either when Sunny asked him how the ponies parted. They automatically assumed that it was in “older times” long before their time.

Logical; it was an attack that took the magic and possibly the memories from the Ponykind - and maybe even the non-ponies in Equestria. From IDW S10 we had learned that Abyssinians had lost their magic, the Diamond dogs had become so divided that only their pack instinct saved them and in Farasi Zecora had to use foreign knowledge, which led her to the Everfree forest in Equestria. From EQG, we learned how Sunset Shimmer was ostracized by her friends and school, and then subjected to provocation from people who had not only forgotten her reformation for good, but also been manipulated into believing false memories. The fake “harmony knights” may have been responsible for the crimes in S10 while a magical object called “the Memory Stone” was used against everyone at Canterlot College around Sunset in EQG. A drawing of the Memory Stone was in the lighthouse, this can not be a coincidence - nor Grogar’s bell which was also in the lighthouse, and which the movie showed as an interesting hint.

If it was an attack; we do not have a large list of possible suspects.

So I start studying the station hall. The machinery, including the fan that Zipp had used to fly, was not hers - they were already there when she found them. There are several hot air balloon screens in the hall and two “landing platforms” just like in Las Pegasus. For short and regional traffic with smaller passenger volumes, hot air balloons are preferred, the short distances to Bridlewood and Maretime Bay, which were not large localities, indicate this. The hot air balloons were “trucks” and “buses” in the G4 Equestria. Larger vessels such as airships - probably for Manehattan - were lined up on the surface outside the opening without standing in the way of hot air balloons flying in and out through the opening with the sliding doors with glass windows.

It is impossible to make a machine that consists of metal parts work after many decades, not even after an overhaul without having to change the entire contents. But Zipp could have done it. The furniture is intact; these are not of materials that could withstand the test of time for centuries. And posters! These are dusted, but these are not mosaics or carved images - they are instead billboards made of synthetic material. These are not as immune to time as plastic or stone. When Izzy showed the pilot letter that Sunny had sent out when she was a foal, it had been marked by time, which slowly breaks down all materials, even stone. Only magic can prevent this.

The technology in Zephyr Heights is impossible to create without a large empire that can cover more than one continent, our own smartphones are created by the global market, there is no single country that can make “own” smartphones (which will be discovered by arrogant politicians in our world) with only their own resources. Haven had invested in the “Circus and Bread” policy to make the population happy, this can be interpreted as a sign of isolation where one eats away at what was left. These “anti unicorn measures” are too advanced, similar to the remote control technology in Maretime Bay, as well as the vehicle technology that may have come from outside. It meant that it is not a technology gap, but capacity capability. And if the unicorns in Bridlewood were aristocratic unicorns in the past - they could not keep up with the others and fell very far back.

It was believed that technology was there when Equestria was united and when magic existed. Admittedly, there was little advanced technology in the station hall, but the objects there do not indicate that they were abandoned for a long time, digitalization in our world is actually twenty years old, and such stations were common. Izzy was quick to recognize a smartphone in contrast to Sunny. It must then mean that the unicorns had knowledge of these gadgets. A person from the year 1999 will never in his life understand that it is a camera in a smartphone from 2021.

Conclusion; the period from when Equestria dissolves until the movie. 60 years. And if an equestrian “moon” is six or eight months of a year; about 120 to 100 “moon”.

At least one generation for a common pony that ages as fast as a human. It happened before Haven, Alphabittle, Phyllis and Argyle were born, their parents may have lived in a united Equestria. The posters of the lighthouse in the station hall underlined it, it was an old building when Argyle built a residential building there, and it already looked old at the time.

If the spell is of the same type as the Memory Stone, the loss of the memories is irrevocably lost; it is possible that over two thousand years of history have been erased. Only bits and pieces, preserved write-downs and books were left, but we had seen in EQG that memory loss was not the only result, one can get fake memories and distorted memories without the user of the Memory Stone wanting it on others. This is because the brain fills the voids very quickly; if the memories are not returned before three days, it is irrevocably lost. We have seen so little about history and identity in the movie that it is as if the ponies have become historyless. Even the most ignorant will not ignore their background back in history, and it was just myths and preconceived notions about “the others”.

The discovery of the station hall overthrew everything. Everything!
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
A few more random thoughts.

Lil sunny is so precious oh gawd, her enthusiasm is so infectious going into the time skip even. And Gonna Be My Day is probably my favorite on the soundtrack (it vies with Fit Right In for top spot of course) it’s just so happy and inspiring.

I feel like the sibling ‘betrayal’ per se at Pipp’s performance was a lot more powerful than it gets credit for. Pipp’s sheer terror at that moment with accusing eyes just staring her down, looking to her sister for help, who couldn’t for the greater good, was so powerful. That moment made my social anxiety spike, I could FEEL that pain

Speaking of Pipp, body types!! I am so glad they’re all a little different! Izzy is tall and lanky, and Pipp is sooo short and stocky, I know people like the cookie cutter identical sizes of most of G4 but having varied shapes and weights and heights is so much better in my opinion, cookie cutter sizes starts to feel a little too ‘ideal body type to strive for’ for my tastes

It was interesting to see the tech and architecture differences between the races, earth poners being basically a coastal town with streetcars and street vendors but also a big tech corporation; pegasi kept that awesome old Greek/Roman feel we got in G4 but added lofty flashy tech and went above and beyond in their superiority complex; unicorns kept that fantasy theme they’re always associated with but it was interesting to see their difference from G4, retreating into that fantasy theme instead of the lofty cities of the olden times. It’s like once they lost their magic they didn’t care about tech and just sat there stagnating and moping, which makes sense, I’d give up too if I lost magic lol

Is it just me or did the overall feel regarding magic vs modern times carry a big Onward vibe? I like that vibe, that mixing of stuff, it works well

Who tf arrested the royals lol? Are they Royals In Name Only, a citizens arrest, or played for the drama?

The colors and backgrounds, the architecture, the LIGHTING, god the movie is pretty

I was worried about how well the 3D models would look; I hate to admit I felt like G4’s flash animation was a bit dated in 2010 and looked ancient by 2019 but horses are hard to make look good in any media and I was worried the 3D style went TOO far. Luckily, imo, they pulled it off as best as possible I think, and I love the designs and animations. Very fluid animation with lots of little nuances; there was a ton of effort put into animating

The previous gen callbacks and little references were quite tasteful, especially in that they were not overwhelming or up-front. I dunno what to make of the intro scene, probably a good way to transition generations but I definitely didn’t expect the G4 voice cast to technically be in this movie too. Was interesting.

Speaking of G4 callbacks, the Wonderbolts poster hits HARD, reminding them of the magic they lost and the way things used to be. Such a small scene and something that was way more profound than a lot will give it credit for

Can we talk about how amazingly talented a voiceover artist Kimiko Glenn is? Her voice is amazing, incredible singing voice, and the LINE DELIVERY is just so perfect! “But youuuuu… do not!” There were no weak links in the voice department, they were all great, but she stands above the rest in my opinion.

Speaking of Kimiko, the line ‘gone missing from pegasusing’ had me in stitches. Her singing voice here reminds me of someone in G4 or some other recent show but for the life of me I can’t place it

“If we faiiiil we go to prison!” hahahaaha that line just

Will prolly think of more things later and edit the post. Or make a new one. I dunno
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@ichiban iceychan 1517  
They’re different characters that serve different purposes. I’ll copy and paste my thoughts on her.

If you looked back at Rainbow Dash in Season One, you might assume that the writers had hated her then.
She was by far the most flawed of The Mane Six: lazy, arrogant, impatient, reckless, and kind of mean, too. I don’t think she was ever given the moral high ground over another member of The Mane Six, and she got some kind of comeuppance way more than anyone else.
But that was part of the fun. Here you have this happy cute pony show, and one of the main characters is this bad role model. It gave the show a bit of an edge. And there was a purpose behind it in Season One; it was all building up to Sonic Rainboom. Rainbow Dash was written to be an antihero. Ordinary characters can improve incrementally, but not antiheroes. Their situation isn’t sustainable: either their willingness to push the limits will pay off and they’ll be redeemed, or their character flaws will be their downfall. The latter is what Rarity represented in Sonic Rainboom, and it’s part of why that’s one of the best episodes in the whole show.
So I think it’s worth considering that what made Rainbow Dash great in Season One was not repeatable, regardless of how she would be handled later on. The fact that her goal of joining The Wonderbolts wasn’t mentioned once in Season Two tells me that they didn’t have any long-term plans for her.
She’s a deeply flawed character, so you can’t validate her too much. But at the same time, her flaws are an integral part of her character. What she really needed was a long-term arc where she fails hard, gets a wakeup call, and gradually redeems herself. You end up with a character whose cockiness is grounded by a firmer understanding of where her limits are.

I’d argue that Rainbow Dash peaked as a character in Season One. Zipp is more likeable, and I’d argue that she’s more compelling, but I’d also point out that what made her compelling only really exists within the movie. So I’d wait until we get the series before we can really compare.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Yeah these new characters remind me of how heavily stereotyped some of the G4 cast were at times, with RD coming off as an arrogant bonehead and Pinkie hyper enough to get grating in some episodes, this gen seems like it has well rounded and toned down characters that embody a lot of the same energy and feel but in a much more tolerable package.
Background Pony #FE5E
Another reason Zipp is better than Rainbow Dash is Zipp isn’t a dumb jock.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
Also I don’t think Zipp is exactly Rainbow Dash. She’s more Twi with elements of Dash’s personality thrown in. Which makes me want to see more of her. Aaaaa, between her, Sunny and Izzy I can’t pick a favorite.
Background Pony #6E1D
I think it’s debatable on whether the G4 cast was stereotyped heavily. After all, this was the 10’s.
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
So just a quick comment on the Zipp RD thing. A reminder that Zipp has only had one appearance so far. Rainbow had 220ish episodes and a movie and so she ran the gauntlet of great to annoying over the course of those episodes.

Zipp could end up going along much the same course or in typical monkeys paw fashion not be as annoying but rather bland and uninteresting due to not being challenged or being overly competent

Not to say you can’t prefer Zipp to Dash, just that it’s easy to selectively choose which aspects of Dash against the one portrayal of Zipp.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
So just a quick comment on the Zipp RD thing. A reminder that Zipp has only had one appearance so far. Rainbow had 220ish episodes and a movie and so she ran the gauntlet of great to annoying over the course of those episodes.
Zipp could end up going along much the same course or in typical monkeys paw fashion not be as annoying but rather bland and uninteresting due to not being challenged or being overly competent
Not to say you can’t prefer Zipp to Dash, just that it’s easy to selectively choose which aspects of Dash against the one portrayal of Zipp.

^^^^
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

I just hope no one will be treated as “fairly” as Rainbow was in G4. Including Equestria Girls. Especially Equestria Girls, actually.

@EquusStorm  
Who tf arrested the royals lol? Are they Royals In Name Only, a citizens arrest, or played for the drama?

Hard to tell with what little we know. The palace staff is clearly part of the charade, from the guards to the technician(s), so I feel they “officially” arrested her for the sake of appearences, to please the people, to give themselves breathing room as they planned what to do next, or just to make people forget they had their own part in the lie.

Then it turns out Haven escaped custody and she’s “pursued” by guards who show up ten seconds or so after her. If they’re not on her side outright and only pretending, they probably still deliberately let her out to use her (and Cloudpuff) as a bloodhound to track Zipp and Pipp down. Who’s better than a worried mom (and her dog) to find her missing daughters, right?

They’re still following her during the end because they’re still supposed to bring the whole royal family back for judgement. Actually curious if they’ll still be royalty after that, despite Zipp’s claim. (Not that there’s anyone else we’ve seen who could replace them… but they’re not shown doing a lot of governing either, there might be a grey eminence behind the scenes for all we know. Hopefully someone was there to handle the city while the royals were away, anyway.)

Remember that line: “If we can’t trust our own royalty, who can we trust?” There’s a lot of damage control to do. Haven herself even says “we’ll explain everything. Spin the story, and they’ll love us again.“

That “they’ll love us again” though. Ouch.

Yeah, I’m with you on Pipp’s sheer terror too when everything in her show goes wrong… Hit even harder when I paid more attention to it on the second watch. But not as much as the ‘oh my god, what have I done?’ look on Zipp’s face right after that.

Anyway, back to Haven. The pegasus news headlines mention the celebration was held on the royal jubilee… I wonder which jubilee they meant. Haven turning fifty? Her rule of Zephyr Heights turning fifty? One of the other numbers?

Oh, and I love that no matter how much she loves her dog (he sleeps next to her in her own bed), Haven didn’t actually give her a throne alongside those of her daughters. Her own throne is extended with a cushion for him, but that’s all.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Also for as much as they have similar feels and attitudes, honestly it’s probably not very good to try to compare the new cast to the old one 1:1 as they’re certainly not trying to be direct replacements. G4 had very strongly defined character personalities, sometimes going too far perhaps, and the new cast seems to be a mild blend of several character types without leaning too strongly on stereotypes. Zipp and RD don’t actually have as much in common as it seems on the surface, beyond their love of athleticism and somewhat tomboyish streak imo
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide