MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Latecomer

Thinking about it, it’s probably easier to spotlight 5 in a movie than 6. Remember how underserved some of the Manes were in the last one?
Background Pony #EF5D
@Latecomer  
That movie also had the problem that they tried to shove characters and locations for a whole movie trilogy into a single movie.
Background Pony #93A8
Predict what Sunny and Hitch’s relationship will be. Siblings or childhood friends?
TheFinite
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Shiny Bug
It hadn’t quite occured to me until now, but there won’t be any ‘elements of harmony’ in play in this Gen. I actually hope that they don’t try to fit them into ‘categories’ like that again, to help make this stand out on its own.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
@TheFinite  
I would wonder if there is some remnant of mythical power or something at play. I mean Holo Twilight is technically still kicking at the end of the show along with the Young Six’s stupid clubhouse. (Unless the comics have done something)

I is small enough of an element that they may just ignore it but if the show does share even moderately strong continuity I could see that being used in some form.

Speaking of that. Wouldn’t it be interesting if Holo Twilight returns at some point and that is how they have TS reappear while still not her to interfere with the plot as a powerful alicorn? Like a force ghost almost?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@TheFinite  
I thought I might have heard something about the new crew recovering the Elements of Harmony in the movie (the “jewel heist” mentioned in one press release might be related to that), but that might have been related to an early version of the script.
Background Pony #6ABD
@DoctorWTF  
That makes a lot of sense, and the Elements of Harmony were destroyed in the beginning of season 9 so it’s possible the people on the G5 movie didn’t get the memo.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #6ABD  
The Tree of Harmony was destroyed, but its spirit inspired the Young Six to build the clubhouse with which it reincarnated itself. Twilight speculated that the tree was evolving to meet the needs of new generations.
Background Pony #6ABD
@DoctorWTF  
Wait, is that headcanon or canon? It’s been a while since I’ve seen Season 9 but that sounds vaguely familiar.
Background Pony #B99D
Welp, I guess we now have official confirmation of all G5’s main protagonists along with high res screenshots for each of them. I had been desperately asking for that since as early as 2019, so I guess I got what I wanted :/

Talk about a disappointing reveal though… It might be time for me to get off the MLP ride and seek out another franchise instead. I really wish I could be excited for G5, but I guess that’s not an option anymore…
Background Pony #6ABD
I think distracting yourself with another franchise or two is a good idea, so that the wait for G5 feels shorter and you’re less likely to feel disappointed. Especially if it’s a currently running franchise so you have new stuff to look forward to that isn’t all the way in September.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Thinking about it, it’s probably easier to spotlight 5 in a movie than 6. Remember how underserved some of the Manes were in the last one?

I think that’s just an inherent problem with trying to make a FiM movie. So much of the “bread and butter” of screenwriting just doesn’t work when you have seven main characters that can’t undergo any kind of change over the course of a movie. Five is an objectively better number, but the more important thing is that these characters are built from the ground up to be used in a movie.

@Background Pony #EF5D  
That movie also had the problem that they tried to shove characters and locations for a whole movie trilogy into a single movie.

Not really. The original Star Wars had Leia’s Ship, The Tatooine Wastes, Mos Eisley, The Millennium Falcon, the interior of The Death Star, and the vicinity of The Rebel Base. The Pony Movie had Canterlot, Kludgetown, The Pirate Ship, Mount Aris, and Seaquestria.

If we start with R2D2 and C-3PO, then a total of five characters join the party throughout the course of the film. There’s also a similar amount of named villains. Star Wars is two hours long, and The Pony Movie is an hour and forty minutes. I would say The Pony Movie is about as dense as Star Wars in terms of characters and locations. The Pony Movie just feels a bit more cluttered in terms of characters because we follow seven leads from start to finish.
Background Pony #C3A9
Something that regarded G5 that just came into my mind is bugging me.

How far into the future within the universe of MLP does G5 take place after G4?
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DerpyFast  
Except that this particular movie is supposed to kick off the series. As such, it’s not bound by any pre-existing continuity - there’s nothing stopping them from having a normal amount of character growth with the A-list ponies.

@Background Pony #C3A9  
That has yet to be officially revealed. Though the recently released screenshot of Pipp with a smart phone pretty well confirms that it’s far enough in the future that none of the major G4 characters could be expected to still be alive (apart from Discord and maybe the alicorns).
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
Something one of my friends pointed out, but it seems like the mane cast is getting smaller each generation.

G3 had 7 ponies as the main/core characters

G4 had the Mane 6

And now G5 has the Mane 5.

I swear G6 is gnna just be 4 mane characters X)
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Except that this particular movie is supposed to kick off the series. As such, it’s not bound by any pre-existing continuity — there’s nothing stopping them from having a normal amount of character growth with the A-list ponies.

That’s my point.
Background Pony #6ABD
I think the G5 movie will handle its 5 main characters just fine because we are meeting these characters along the way. In the 2017 movie, FiM had us “meeting” and following all of the Mane 6 from the beginning to the end, with even more groups of characters to meet on top of that. It felt clunky and people who were new to the series were confused.

Meanwhile it looks like G5 will have us meet Sunny and Izzy (and maybe Hitch) in Act 1, and then Zipp and Pipp in Act 2. Less clutter and more time for each character to shine. I doubt every Mare-oon 5 pony will get equal screentime but since we don’t meet them all at the same time I doubt we’ll get another “Fluttershy has only about a minute worth of lines to herself” movie.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide