MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #3C95
On another note, who do you guys think will be the resident butt monkey? I get the feeling it’ll either be Hitch (although maybe a less brutal version) or that flying Pomeranian.
Background Pony #4D5A
And to be fair, I can agree that there are legitimate grievances for this, some may have good pounts, so…meh.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #3C95

Maybe I’m being too negative about G5 at this point in time. While I don’t share your optimism about the new series nor the positive view about the characters revealed (at least concerning the visual designs) a lot of stuff about G5 is still in the air and I could be completely wrong about what the premise so far implies about the past series. I guess we’ll just have to see.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #3C95  
I hope this series doesn’t have one, or at least they tone it way down from G4. The occasional slapstick is fine but if they make a character a lightning rod for a suffering conga line, it will just come off as overly meanspirited by writers.
Background Pony #3C95
@Background Pony #2987  
The most anyone can do is give it a shot and see if they like it or not. I like the visuals for the most part, though I’m not gonna lie, the human-like teeth still freak me out a little.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #3C95  
The body to me is fine, its the faces. They’re uncanny valley level weird. Ironically, I remember the same charge being levelled at G4 when it first premiered given how much less pony like the faces were compared to past gens (besides Gen 3.5. Those things were horrifyingly creepy). These new ones, though are just a touch too human and have that cheap Sony Animated movie look that makes it feel off. MLP peak animation is still the 2017 movie but I understand the budget there was probably huge and they can’t just reuse G4 models & style, I just wish they made it more pony looking. I saw some 2d renders of the characters that look decent enough, it just didn’t translate well to 3d. I’m guessing they’ll switch to 2d for the series and leave the 3d for the movie so maybe it won’t be as bad later down the road.
Background Pony #7A60
I still don’t understand why their are people saying it’s “Twilight’s fault”,unironically. First of all, we don’t know how far into the future gen 5 is taking place. Second, the fact that the main character is a fan of Twilight and her friends has to mean that Twilight is seen in some sort of good light.

Like, if people would think about, Sunny, who is a earth pony, is a open fan for a unicorn in a time were each race is separate and who probably don’t like each other a whole lot.

We just don’t know what happened to make the world like that as of yet, so people automatically putting the blame on Twilight is completely unfair and asinine.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@Background Pony #7A60  
Why would you not naturally blame the last person that was in charge from our perspective? Not solid, but a safe bet. It surely didn’t naturally fail as several comments last page implied.

Also, pretty sure Sunny(just realized i hate that name) is at least seen initially as a weirdo. At least enough to get run out of town in the initial movie.
Background Pony #3C95
I get the feeling Sunny and Hitch are childhood friends, and he was always there to help her against bullies; possibly the only reason she wasn’t driven out of town already was because he’s the sheriff. So, I can see him as a reluctant participant in her and Izzy’s adventure or he’s tracking her down to bring her back.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #3C95  
Maybe it will all be 3d but 3d’s expensive unless you make it the cheap straight to dvd kind. I don’t know how much Hasbro’s willing to throw at this new series but I don’t think they want to burn too much.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #7A60  
I don’t think anyone’s blaming twilight so much as simply saying her rule’s ultimate end vision of friendship and cooperation seems to have gone awry at some point down the line. It may or may not be her fault, honestly who knows how the team will structure the G5 lore, but nothing of what we’ve seen so far points to any missteps by twilight. Rather, something seems to have gone quite wrong with the world to end up at where G5 looks to be beginning.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Background Pony #3C95  
I like the idea that Hitch is using his political influence and community standing to protect Sunny because it’s that same type of behavior that likely led to the decline in Equestria’s governance. There’s being a friend and then there is nepotism. A nuanced lesson to teach.
Background Pony #3C95
@Brass Beau  
Assuming Sunny is some kind-of “friendship activist” (who we know is going to be proven right), then wouldn’t Hitch using his standing to protect her be seen as a good thing? At least in the beginning; maybe in the show there’ll be an episode with a lesson about needing to take a few steps and letting that person grow.

How many cases of nepotism have there been? Besides the Friendship School, I can’t think of one.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Background Pony #3C95  
That’s what I’m saying, though. Misapplication of the lessons of friendship have evolved and become corrupted leading to nepotism and general decline of Equestria. Hitch may think he’s protecting her from the citizenry and vice versa but he’s also hindering everyone’s ability to interact and communicate ideas with each other. He’s basically enforcing cliques and echo chambers which is why everyone is so segregated. And that type of thing is happening everywhere in Equestria.
Background Pony #3C95
@Brass Beau  
Ah. I thought you meant something like Twilight used nepotism for her friends to help them, and I thought I didn’t see that happening.

I personally don’t think Hitch’s overprotectiveness will be that heavy; just he stops the townsfolk from bullying Sunny or driving her out of town. To me, a potential slice-of-life episode to me, might be him needing to learn that she doesn’t always need him and can be fine on her own without him.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Background Pony #3C95  
I see that as the more likely scenario. At the very least I hope he’s her brother and not just a generic love interest. It took FiM a while to either of their major big brother characters interesting and its only interesting romance story was The Breakup Breakdown
Background Pony #CA86
@Brass Beau  
I’m personally on the childhood friends ship since we already have Pipp and Zipp for a sibling dynamic in the main cast.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide