MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #2987
Its ironic the writers are putting it in the same universe as G4 to hopefully attract back some G4 fans to watch this new thing when such a move is only likely to invite broad comparisons to G4 and a sense among fans that the legacy of the G4 main cast was ultimately a failure as the world’s worse off than ever.

A separate G5 universe would still be compared endlessly by fans to G4 but it could have just been brushed off as nitpicking by fans trapped in the G4 nostalgia trap and unwilling to move on. We really can’t do that now. Can G5 stand on its own as its own work? Yes but not completely, for as much as it may be a separate series with separate problems revolving around a separate cast, the shared universe aspect means it can’t simply be cleaved off from G4 like people hope.

Simply put, for G5 to exist, the efforts of Twi and pals in G4 had to fail. That implication alone is offputting to fans who’s goodwill the writers supposedly did this shared timeline thing for. A separate universe wouldn’t have to touch that narrative like the G5 we’re getting needs to.

It really is the Star Wars Sequel trilogy all over again. I just hope the writing’s better for this one.
Background Pony #3C95
It’s funnier if you remember EG has a song about friendship carrying on through the ages.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Background Pony #2987  
It’s not ultimately a failure, though. This is Twilight’s speech from “The Ending of The End Part 2”:

ENOUGH! Because of you, I almost lost my way! But everycreature here has reminded me of the true power of friendship! There will always be darkness in the world, but there will also always be those who find the light! The Pillars knew this! That’s why they created the Elements of Harmony! The Elements showed me and my friends how strong our friendship could be! Together we worked to bring harmony to Equestria! But there will always be more to do! Which is why we teach others about the Magic of Friendship! Others who will continue our mission after we are gone! Now I truly understand! The Elements were just symbols! The real magic has always been right here! And the more who understand how powerful friendship is, the stronger we will all be! Together!

Emphasis mine.

This idea that “Everything must be perfect forever, even after The Mane Six eventually die, otherwise they failed” is completely unreasonable.
Background Pony #2987
Its a failure, at least concerning the efforts of twi and friends seeing as quite a few ponies can be assumed to have rejected this somewhere down the line. It will be up to a new gen to carry the torch and try to rebuild whatever comraderie and cooperation existed between ponies. Either way, its a tough pill to swallow

Those offputting 3d character designs don’t help either.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Background Pony #3C95

That song is coming up on six years old (where has the time gone, fam?), though in saying that it does make me wonder what the fan dynamics will be if G5 is successful like G4 was; or will it have similar dynamics to latter-day 90’s Trek where it’s diminishing returns due to G5 being released so close to G4.

Granted, last year felt like five years due to the pandemic, so maybe everyone’s hungry for more MLP already.
Background Pony #3C95
@DerpyFast  
Thing is, it’s one thing if there are beginnings of discontent or uprisings in an otherwise peaceful Equestria. But in G5, things apparently went bad enough that Equestria desegregated back into three separate tribes and friendship is apparently gone. It’s basically like the pre-Hearthwarming era before the three tribes banded together.

@Latecomer  
I keep saying. 6 weeks have passed before everything went down the drain. :P
Background Pony #3C95
@DerpyFast  
So are you going to bring out that list every time someone expresses some negative view of G5 Equestria or is this just because you can’t bring yourself to come up with an actual answer?
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Background Pony #3C95  
Only when the negative opinion is rooted in Depressive Logical Mistakes, which yours are. I did post an answer. It was a quote showing that not even Twilight is treating this victory as “winning forever”. I followed up with:  
This idea that “Everything must be perfect forever, even after The Mane Six eventually die, otherwise they failed” is completely unreasonable.

You ignored my answer completely. They’re logical mistakes because you can’t expect the actions of six characters to lock down a good future until the end of time (which isn’t what Twilight is claiming anyways). Nor can you blame them for things that are beyond their control, like ponies rejecting their message, or things that happen after they’ve died.
Background Pony #4D5A
Also, just cause it draws similarities to G4 doesn’t mean you can assume the worst.  
So, maybe Twilight failed, but to be fair, nothing lasts forever, like some of you said. It could be either that or her heir didn’t have very good choices in successors.

Thing is, it was inevitable that it was gonna get comparisons, seperate from G4 or not.  
But don’t let it ruin what you like.
Background Pony #2987
@Background Pony #4D5A  
We cannot. This will be a simple sampling of the turmoil that is to come. And all because they couldn’t just separate the universes. Should be fun to watch if you like the theatrics of fights and endless rants online. Grab some popcorn, its going to get good.

@DerpyFast  
I have no doubt you will post that list endlessly in the coming months just as I have no doubt it will scarcely be read by those you’re seeking to counter.

G5’s premise leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths and the narrative that will undoubtedlu build up that Twi and friends failed to build a lasting faith in friendship among the genesl population is certainly not going to be dampened by that Dark Souls ‘the fire never truly dies for good’ cyclical explanation the writers will try to use.
Background Pony #3C95
As opposed to apparently something bad happening that it basically undid the entire G4 setting; undoing not only the Mane Six’s work, but also the Pillars, Celestia’s thousands of years ruling, and the founders’ work?

Honestly though. I don’t feel I’m being overly negative. I am optimistic about G5, and I like the characters that’ve been revealed so far. I just think those who dislike what we know about the premise so far have legitimate grievences.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide