MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

One thing that always bugged me about FiM is how the implications of a single species controlling The Sun never came up. I’ll be impressed if they work that into the backstory. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where the whole “alicorn supremacy” idea comes from.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@DerpyFast

You mean like how Yak, Seapony, and Kirin astronomy would be completely fucked up because of either Celestia or Twilight goofing with the sun and moon?
Background Pony #3E41
@Brass Beau  
I don’t see all of them being evil; I can see most (or all) of them being well-intentioned extremists at worst. Or maybe they’ll be like the Diamonds are reeling from someone’s (Twilight’s maybe) death and unfortunately deal with that grief by making a series of really bad decisions.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Actually, I had a shower thought that I’m going to turn into a prediction.

The idea that Alicorns used to control the heavens themselves seems like a pretty credible motivation for the villains. Being inspired to change the world by the legends of Twilight and her friends seems like a credible motivation for the heroes. If this ends up being the case, that would mean that the antagonists and protagonists are linked by a common theme: the desire to return an idealized “Golden Age”.

This also has potential to be meta.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@DerpyFast

In a more nit-picky series, the implications would be immense, but given that MLP is mainly drama-focused, it’s a case of “don’t think about it too hard.” Hell, the series has been very tight-lipped on the exact mechanics of Alicorns and magic, so things coming from either of them aren’t that well explained either.
Background Pony #6522
Okay, bear with me here, sun is getting up here, so it might be hard to read what I’m saying, but:  
What if the sun was controlled by Celestia and Twilight specifically? What if this is some sort of magic that got lost? As is; they have far weaker control of it now then they had before. As far as we seen, there is no actual source of knowledge about sun/moon magic other then Celestia/Luna, and then Twilight. Seeing how this is a thing, I could see said control getting weaker and weaker over time, as knowledge that is shared orally tends to mutate hard. (Maybe particular alicorn is not fan of weather magic, studies about it less, then gives that ‘smaller’ knowledge to his heir, who in turn, whist being okay mage, is not so great to replace parts of magic that got lost, and so forth down the line, with it getting weaker and weaker.)  
We have definitely seen magic knowledge getting lost in the past, so this doesn’t sound like too much of a stretch for me.
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ebalosus  
That’s what I’m saying. What if the backstory of G5 does touch on the implications? Using control over the Sun for political leverage isn’t something Celestia would think to do, especially after Nightmare Moon. But it would only be a matter of time until someone with that power got the idea to leverage it.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@DerpyFast

Sure…but it would require a deft touch in order to keep it tonally consistent. One of my (retrospectively) big criticisms of the They should make FiM a more PG-rated show! is that it would change the foundational tone and feel of the show; and diving into the political implications of the leader of one nation having a nuclear option (essentially) that no other leader of any other nation has, not to mention said leader isn’t democratically elected, isn’t really something FiM was geared up to deal with.

If G5 does examine it and falls face-first while doing so, some of the blame would be laid at Faust’s feet, since she’s the one who came up with (or at least approved of) the whole princesses control celestial bodies thing. That would also confirm why it would make sense to make G5 it’s own thing instead of sticking to G4’s setting.
Background Pony #4CC5
@Ebalosus  
I’m honestly a bit mixed on the situation.

On one hand, I like that’s a continuation and not a reset like the previous generations did. I always was more a fan of continuity.

On the other, I’m worried this might screw over the show that came before it. Unless they can explain that it wasn’t Twilight or Luster who screwed it up but like some desecendant who wasn’t sure how it works (like someone earlier mentioned), I’m nervous they might pull a Sequel Trilogy and have it be like “Nah, things fell apart the moment Luster tried to do friendship duties in The Last Problem”.

Has got me thinking though: Didn’t Legend of Korra also did this sort of thing as well? How come people were fine with that show despite a similar “years later” idea?
Background Pony #CA86
@Background Pony #4CC5  
To be fair, I don’t think any of Team Avatar’s efforts were undone, as most of the villainous plots were either self-contained in one place and got taken care of quickly enough before they became “permanent” problems so to speak.
Background Pony #3112
What if the sixth main character is the villain’s son? They wouldn’t show him now because it would be a huge spoiler.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide