MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
full  
Another beautiful art made by Imalou (the character designer for the movie). I really want the movie’s style to look like that (or similar). It’s so adorable!
Background Pony #6ABD
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
I love her style, slightly more horse-y than the actual FiM style but still stylized. I love the way she draws eyes, especially. From a toy-collector standpoint, I kinda hope the G5 style is a little closer to G1 but from an animation standpoint, I’d rather a style like this. Very expressive.

You gotta remember tho, just because she is a character designer for the movie doesn’t mean the movie will look like her style. I know it’s a little different since there was already a fully-realized style but there were character designers and concept artists for the 2017 MLP movie that had much grittier styles than a lot of the characters would actually look like in the final product.
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Grumpy and antisocial
@Background Pony #6ABD  
Yes, there’s still the possibility her style won’t be used for the movie. But it’s so adorable (and it was a drawing of Twilight Sparkle she did that attracted the attention of the production staff)! I hope she didn’t have to change her style too much for the movie.
Background Pony #6ABD
@GoodVibesGorgeous  
Huh, I can see why if this is the art. It’s expressive and adorable and it looks a lot like FiM’s style if they wanted to stick with something familiar.
Background Pony #51DA
In terms of a 3D style for the characters( which I heard the movie is going to be in apparently) I think DJTHED does a great job of translating that,without the pony looking all “unncanny valley ish”.full
Background Pony #13BA
I wonder which final design will be picked for the ponies in general. Hopefully not too unappealing especially since the franchise still has the bigger audience of older people, rather than the target audience.
Background Pony #6ABD
@Background Pony #13BA  
Hey now, we got the designs we got in G4 because they were appealing to children (well, and adults of course but children are the most important ones), I don’t really get the correlation of ‘audience of older people = more appealing designs.’
Background Pony #6ABD
@Latecomer  
I’m seconding this, not to gang up on BP#13BA but my dude, you DO know children are the first and foremost because they are the target and majority audience, right?
Background Pony #13BA
@Background Pony #6ABD  
Would FIM still had more seasons without the huge explosion of fans that it spawned? Would this new movie transitioning to the next generation still exist without us? I ain’t no veteran of this fandom but I felt like part of the reason why the current MLP is so successful was because we made a big positive difference to the franchise. I fucked up what I said earlier, I meant as in a final design appealing for all audiences.
Latecomer

@Background Pony #13BA  
Maybe, maybe not - we don’t know what it would have been like. But the kids will and should always remain at the forefront - just as they were when Faust and co designed G4, which is what hooked the adult fans in the first place.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Young girls will always be the target audiencein Hasbro’s eyes. But the idea of extrapolating the G4 design and “maturing”(?) it to attract a broader audience would only work if the writing matched. That said, should monsters be more prevalent than the last generation, adjusting the color palette and making the aesthetic slightly less “cutesy”(?) would allow for some fun frights.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@Brass Beau  
Let’s see. I do remember some notes in the leaked emails mentioning the folks in the production staff were avoiding brown and orange tones in the backgrounds, as those colors apparently aren’t marketable to young girls. That means they still are considering little girls as the franchise’s main target group.
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@WyrmSpawN  
It’s likely there won’t be autumn episodes… Which wouldn’t be a good idea, as it would limit the stories that take place in Ponyville (assuming G5 will take place in Ponyville, Everfree Forest and Cloudsdale like the concept arts and G4).
Background Pony #6ABD
@Background Pony #13BA

Sorry for jumping on you like that, it was my bad. I didn’t mean to deny that we are definitely a big part of why FiM went as long as it did–it would be silly to deny that. Love it or hate it, we helped out with G4’s success, no doubt about it.
Background Pony #6ABD
It’s a shame orange ‘isn’t marketable’ apparently, because that combined with AJ being less popular (sorry AJ) makes it more likely there won’t be an orange pony in the main cast of G5. Unless…hm, they made the main cast a rainbow, kinda like that new Rainbow High doll-line, the one where each doll is dressed in a color of the rainbow. Rainbows make even ‘unmarketable’ colors more marketable, right? But then again, if they’re dedicated to having 6 main characters then there wouldn’t be a pink or white main pony. And we know they’re going to need a pink pony. I guess they could replace red with pink but I assume red is more popular than orange, so if they’re going to replace one in an idea like that, it would probably be orange. Hrm…yeah I think it’s likely there won’t be an orange MC pony.  
It’s not a big deal or anything just…food for thought, I guess.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide