MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #59A6
@FrustrationInExcelsis  
Lame hopes cuz we’ve already seen those in G4. There are more than Spike dragons in G4, the cloud city besides Cloudsdale is Las Pegasus, and there are few zebras. Watch the show more carefully, would ya?
Hilcenias

G5 Optimist | Tumblrina
I remember reading in the email that they want to make AJ a bad girl, even spitballed the idea of her being “bad-ish” (so probably an Anti-Villain) and have a Tempest-esque redemption arc.
Harmony Gladebloom
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Economist -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Hooves to Hearts! /<3)
@Hilcenias  
I very strongly dislike the idea of a “bad girl” AJ  
If they want to change AJ’s personality to something that doesn’t remotely fit her design or namesake, why not just remove the character altogether instead of taking a recognizable name from the previous generation in the complete opposite direction?
Background Pony #18E5
@Hilcenias  
I agree with this, I’ve had zero issue with all the name and characters changes this franchise has been through and I’m not about to start now just because I like this gen over the others. If G5 gets a new bug-loving pony that’s named Chrysalis, I will give that the exact same reaction I gave when I learned the G4 good-guy pegasus mare Somnambula’s name was attached to a G1 villain cat-person that could steal youth. The G4 fandom’s going to learn the hard way what it was like for people that liked this franchise before G4.

All the trash-talking of the old gen’s back when this fandom started, when people were trying to persuade people to give the show a shot by saying “No, really, it’s good. It’s not like the old, rubbish gen’s, this one’s different”. Except this time this fandom will learn what it’s like to be the people that liked the “old rubbish gen”.

Say G5 gets Celestia, and when G6 rolls by, there’s a G6 Celestia. When some people don’t like G6 Celestia and refer to G5 Celestia as the “real” Celestia in defiance, this fandom will learn how it feels for fans of the actual original version of characters to be ignored and instead have a newer version referred to as the “real”/“old”/“proper”/etc. version. I’ve already seen people refer to G4 Applejack as the “real” Applejack because I guess G1 Applejack wasn’t real enough.

Bear in mind, some of those above people will be people that like G5, but don’t like G4 or G1-G3. And if the idea that someone could possible only like the newest generation of My Little Pony sounds far-fetched, it really shouldn’t because we’re on a website chock-full of them right now, myself included.
RIG
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - Five Nights at Freddy's thread
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

The Anti-Normies
They are basically going to redo everything, like the cmc crusaders getting their cutie marks again…
Lord WyrmSpawN
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@RIG  
I think it could do some good.

That is if they go in in full knowledge of what needs changing.

They could go in and determinedly do everything they did wrong again.
Harmony Gladebloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Hooves to Hearts! /<3)
@Hilcenias  
@Background Pony #C065  
I’m fine with them redoing AJ for the next gen, but I just have a problem with it being such a complete 180 from the previous iterations of Applejack though I’d still be initially opposed to a “bad girl” character regardless of whether it’s G5 AJ or not
09MurphyM

I wouldn’t be surprised if G5 is a completely new story and universe and the main characters having the same names as the main 6 is simply a coincidence.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

World's Okayest User
@09MurphyM  
I’d figure their going with the Transformers route and keeping the core cast while changing them up a bit, sorta like how Transformers always has to have a Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, I’d figure Hasbro is gonna try to keep the 6 around for a while while shaking things up
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
@Megas75  
Same, on both counts, Earth pony Twilight is fine with me, but Unicorn Fluttershy to me feels like it kind of goes against her character to an extent. I think it’s because despite her demure attitude she’s a very tough pony while unicorns seem to have a bit of fraitly to them so making Fluttershy a unicorn seems to go with the shell rather than the core.

Also it messes up the Rainbow Dash Fluttershy friendship and stresses more toward Rarity and Fluttershy ie the two girlest characters
EotD
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

I beat LoZ:BotW!!!
@PonyPon  
They were to an extent but it was always Rarity heavy IMO, in that Rarity was more in control of the friendship, that Fluttershy doesn’t have much to offer Rarity in terms of learning, compared to other friendships, like with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@09MurphyM

@Megas75

Going by how MLP reboots tend to go, I’d assume something like what Megas75 is proposing – generally, at least a few characters make the jump to the new core cast when the franchise goes through a reboot, but not always all of them. That being said, previous main characters still tend to reappear, if only in secondary or minor roles.

Example: the G3 show had seven main characters – Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, Toola-Roola, Starsong and Cheerilee. Pinkie and RD, obviously enough, made it into the main G4 cast. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle may not be part of the mane 6, but they’re among the show’s main characters all the same. Cheerilee returned as a supporting character, and Toola-Roola had a one-off appearance in Season 7. Only Starsong, to my knowledge, didn’t make it into FiM in one way or another.

That being said, not all of these were direct carry-overs of characters – Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle’s roles and characters obviously changed quite a lot, while RD and Pinkie include a lot of character traits from the G1 characters Firefly and Surprise, and can be considered successors to them too in that sense.

And of course, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack and Fluttershy are reimaginings of G1 characters as well, Twilight and Applejack and Posey, some sharing more with their prior incarnations and some less.

Now, my actual point past all this rambling: MLP does very much have a cast of recurring characters who return in most iterations with more or fewer changes. That said, each generation’s take on a character can differ quite a lot from the others’, names can change or stay the same, and not every character is always reused. Thus, my expectation is that we’ll see most if not all of the G4 mane six in the new show, but I do not as of right now expect that they will all be among the central characters this time around. While it’s certainly possible they might, I think it’s quite likely we’ll see a couple of G4 supporting characters, or for that matter of characters from previous gens, reimagined to fit among the central characters.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide