MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #CC3D
@Background Pony #CC3D
The mistake has been corrected, thank you. How did I mishear that line as “Trees”, grrgh. Shame on me.
Still unexpected for Opaline of all ponies to plant a Together Tree though. Actually, now that you mention it…
This Radiant Hope/Izzy-like pony on the right…could this actually be Opaline? I didn’t think it was her at first because of the blue hair, but it could only look blue from a reflection of blue light. She does have purple fire beneath her and something that looks like a dragon beside her…and if she planted a Together Tree, then…she was actually a guardian?
This book in C3 is really confusing, the only tangible thing from there is that it was printed in a confusing time which could be around the time of Equestria’s collapse which probably happened at least four generations before the G5 movie. Elder Flower kind of confirm that. We know from the book that three crystals came from the sky, came to life and became guardians for the ponies. Considering how Elder Flower told about the alicorns that she calls “bats”, it is possible that the true story had been distorted when it was printed in the book. The guardians are said to have forgotten their purpose.
The scene in the book is reminiscent of the location where Opaline’s dark castle stands, with the shadow of possibly a tree, which could be the Together Tree that she had planted. We saw a confrontation between the two ponies with each their own symbol, ice versus fire? The one on the right could be Opaline.
Considering the observation of Elder Flower which raised a lot of red flags for us when we saw that she didn’t have problems telling about family and lore like the Together Trees, but had difficulties telling about the “bats” even though she reacted to the name Opaline, and recognized landmarks and signs as on glass windows without understanding why, it is obvious that memory manipulation spells were used - and may still be active.
Misty couldn’t remember her childhood. She could only see bits and pieces - and this was immediately before she might have come through the gate in the Wish Tree because when we last saw the filly, she was in a landscape that we could recognize from where the dark castle is. Opaline could physically enter Equestria, but something prevented her, while Misty was more or less able to get back and forth on her mission. We now know how she got to Bridlewood in the game, she had used the Together Tree to get there. When she discovered that a path to Maretime Bay with the Unity Crystals had been created, she was full of confidence that she can freely go there. So why did Opaline have to use such magical detours?
Misty’s fate may be an important clue to finding this out. It is possible that the “buddle” may have had harmful effects on ponies and that Opaline would not take any chances to force this, even as her magic could come through after the magic’s return. It is possible that Misty was suffering from amnesia when Opaline discovered her, as a result of the magic that shut Equestria off from the rest of the world.
If memory manipulation spells have been used, who did it - and why? We know that when the active magic disappeared, there was possibly only stored magic in crystals, the passive magic internal to all magical beings - and magic with its starting point in the alicorns back.
There are now only three episodes and one special back, and we have come no closer to an answer to the disappearance of the magic almost two years since the first trailers about the movie came out.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
Alrighty! So until chapter 6 pops up, I’m finally ready to give my in-depth review on chapter 5. Spoilers beware!
It was alright I suppose, maybe we boys have the tendency to like action over feelings but that doesn’t mean we have none. I really enjoyed the Misty and Alphadad episode so we’ll get to that in a bit. So Cutie Blossom Bash. Apparently, only until recently does Equestria have a tradition like that since getting one back in G4 is more like, “Yay, have a cookie”. That one aside, as I expected, the mane change Misty had wasn’t really exciting but does have symbolism in that she’s starting life anew, and oh boy she did. Again we’ll get to that in a bit. It’s very adorbs to see the Mane 6 5 as little foals and well I’ll say to this day, seeing Argyle makes me depressed because we know he’s dead. Or is he? Misty is in fact different from other ponies due to being a late bloomer. Looking back at g4 with the CMCs, I kinda wonder if this was possible. Also the creepypasta Story of the Blanks seem less scary now because of the actual late bloomer concept demonstrated by Misty (which could make her an eldritch abomination herself if that creepypasta were true. Hell, maybe the guys there aren’t actually demons and Bloom was just hallucinating, imagine that XD). But yeah, this episode really shows that Misty no matter the circumstance is always the odd one out. If anything, I feel she should be leader instead. But yeah.
Next up is Family Trees, it’s alright. A rather emotional episode where Misty’s painful memories resurfaced. We’ll get to her part in a bit so we’ll talk about the main attraction. The Breezies! Eeyup, they’re back. Turns out during some event which most likely isn’t a good one, they were hiding in a special tree that somehow Misty activated and unlocked. I’m glad this sorta means the other races aren’t extinct, just hidden somewhere. If the breezies and the zebras are anything to go by, the others must be quite near the new era pony settlement. Like really near but also covert and hidden. The dragons which we’ll get into later (my apologies for repeating that) feels like the closest to the “journey of reunification” kind of story since both the breezies and zebras coming back felt rather sudden but otherwise yeah. Also, it appears the breezies haven’t seen or experience technology before. So not only are they ancient, they’re rather isolated and backwards as well. Eh, they’ll get used to it. At the same time, being ancient gave some sort of wisdom that they have some sort of gut feeling that Misty should get this special key to everywhere. That or I’m over thinking it. Also that portal tree reminds me about the strange tree from Kingdom Hearts. Anyway, good call from Misty for using it on behalf of Sparky since her home is very near where she is. Because she’s already is at home. Also the ending isn’t surprising but yet it is because again it’s rather sudden. Also, the breezies running a marketplace sounds like good RPG material.
Onto Father of the Bridlewood. Oh boy another emotional one. I do actually feel a mixture of surprise, tenderness and sadness for that one. Surprised because filly Misty is a radically different character from now Misty. Sad because the inner Misty is now dead, gone, turned to ashes. That or Misty decided to push her away than accept it as part of her like Po did. I know she changed but I feel it’s not right to push the past away, like really past Misty feels like someone that Izzy could clique to. Maybe in a future episode because resisting isn’t helping her because it’ll always come back. And I kinda chuckled at her fake smile because it again reminded me of Sora’s from KH. Double whammy! Regardless, both Alphabittle and Misty reconciled and from that day on, he’s gonna know her as Brightdawn. Speaking of which, Misty hasn’t mentioned it to her dad that she got her own self-made last name. Heck, I’m not even sure if she was also called Blossomforth at some point. But would be nice for him to know. Again, names don’t matter too much though I speculate that ponies can in fact change names when an impactful event happens in their lives. Such as Mrs Cup Cake’s marriage, Granny Smith becoming well, a granny and Misty beginning life anew. Also I think she may have forgotten the Brightdawn part too. I thought it was important since that’s her trademarked name. Unless it’s really for the sole purpose of trademark. Misty’s POV out of the way, now we go to Elder Flower. So huh yeah, she’s kinda kooky but apparently as I’ve said in my blind reaction, she spewed so many g4 references, some straight, some metaphoric. But it apparently goes to show that she was old enough to live through g4’s time or had knowledge of it. Like whaaaaat? Some said Granny Smith was also about a 100 years old but I mean, really though? Anyway, the fact that I understood her immediately makes her my next favourite pony. I would love to hear more of her stories. Speaking of which, she did mention Carousel Boutique where Sunny and Zipp didn’t understand but woe and behold, they’ll be surprised when they learn that the Guardian of Generosity was once a fashion designer. But yeah, she’s the key, a rusty one at that.
Yep, I’ve nothing to say about Mane Smelody, very meh episode, though if I remember correctly, was this the one where she showed the dragon silhouettes? Because yeah, I was afraid of this. They are generic. Exactly like the ponies. Well that means designing the other races wouldn’t be too hard but for what it’s worth, the non-equine creatures are all distinct from each other. Not many clones do I see.
Now the finale, pretty average. I’m quite surprised that there’s apparently a fourth Together Tree planted by Arcana herself for whatever she’s expecting it to do. But apparently, it’s a kind of quick travel? Neat and convenient! I was surprised initially because the ponies really don’t seem to fear her and at the same time it makes sense. They think it’s a costume and also the warning of Opaline appears to have faded across time. They have no idea who she is yet knew Nightmare Moon who was an even older legend. I’m amazed at Opaline’s restraint seeing that she could just give them a live demonstration just to prove she’s the real deal, but she didn’t. Maybe knowing that Sunny and friends would be alerted. Good on her, Tirek would flex at any moment possible. Also speaking of her, I’ve already gotten spoiled at a scene that I tried my best to avoid but yeah, she can also steal cutie marks. In the same but painless mannerism too. Methinks it’s really gonna be about her, you know, her. And also, before this episode, I thought the modellers only made the foot, I’m glad they have full body models of the dragons instead. Although as I’ve mentioned above, is pretty generic. If Spike does show up, he better be unique.
Overall, I think it’s alright. I give it a 7 out of 10. Not exciting but still eventful. But one thing I do wonder about those dragons, are they adults or teenagers? Interestingly enough, Sludge is definitely an adult but still is bipedal, so if Sparky grows, will he be a big dragon already? Only time will tell. I believe December is the end of the series where hopefully Opaline is finally defeated by them. Which I guess sums up “Season 1”, the Arcana arc. It’s closed in a way but I do wish there were more. It seems like the writers here might’ve been creatively bankrupt so that’s why TYT is apparently replacing it and god they better come up with something better. There’s many potential ideas, other races hasn’t showed up still, the mystery of Skyros, other unmodernised g1 villains? If they want suggestions, I have them.
Background Pony #CC3D
Alrighty! So until chapter 6 pops up, I’m finally ready to give my in-depth review on chapter 5. Spoilers beware!
Overall, I think it’s alright. I give it a 7 out of 10. Not exciting but still eventful. But one thing I do wonder about those dragons, are they adults or teenagers? Interestingly enough, Sludge is definitely an adult but still is bipedal, so if Sparky grows, will he be a big dragon already? Only time will tell. I believe December is the end of the series where hopefully Opaline is finally defeated by them. Which I guess sums up “Season 1”, the Arcana arc. It’s closed in a way but I do wish there were more. It seems like the writers here might’ve been creatively bankrupt so that’s why TYT is apparently replacing it and god they better come up with something better. There’s many potential ideas, other races hasn’t showed up still, the mystery of Skyros, other unmodernised g1 villains? If they want suggestions, I have them.
These look like young dragons like most of the dragons we’re familiar with from G4, not older adults - it’s possible to see on the ground that these aren’t as big as the purple dragon that left the footprints that weren’t old when Sparky found them . Actually it’s not surprising, we learned in G4 that younger dragons in their teenage years and as younger adults are often kept in packs under the supervision of older adults until they are old enough to fend for themselves, and these are loners by nature who only seek each other out in self-interest. These dragons are protected by an older adult who may have been active during the magicless time when everyone else was asleep.
These form the top of the food pyramid and only special magical super beings such as alicorns and Discord pose a threat to them. But to get there, the younger dragons had to survive, while the older dragons will ensure that their kind will live on. Older dragons who do not want to migrate around the world will then settle in one place, and the Dragon Lands may have been their home. Younger dragons embark on migrations where they fly around the world from place to place, stopping on volcanic lands for short periods or to hatch new generations and raise them. But sooner or later they will return to where they came from - the Dragon Lands, which can also act as a refuge in times of crisis. And, of course, they will more easily protect their treasures from possible thieves and dragon slayers - it was poachers who hunted the dragons in G4.
The map and the screencaps from the Dragon Lands revealed that the dragons have a civilization there, perhaps in coexistence with other beings seen elsewhere in Equus, such as the kirins who according to the G4 map live on the same land as the dragons. There is probably a “capital” there marked by a giant statue of a seated dragon. Maybe this statue is of the first Dragon Lord or even of the adult Spike from G1?
I think the MYM team is “creatively bankrupt” because they were put under strict restrictions by Hasbro. The 3D work may have put strong limitations on them. Actually, it’s very strange, there are lots of ideas and possibilities that make a continuation of G5 possible, there is preserved lore that can be expanded or deepened, and with the Together Trees we have got very interesting lore that can be connected to the case about the Tree of Harmony. Some of the special trees that we have seen in G4 could be Together Trees.
Sunny may have gotten the Rainbow of Light locket, but this is overkill even against Opaline. Maybe this is meant for more than just the evil alicorn? Regardless, the Breezie’s warnings to Sunny to stick with friends suggest that there may be formidable enemies and great trials ahead.
Speaking of Sludge, will we finally see flying islands in G5? This is something we would like to see, even in TYT.
Background Pony #CC3D
As for Skyros; in Greek it means “stone debris”, and was a reference to decorative stone, the export of eye-catching and beautiful stone materials from the island of Skyros in present-day Greece was important in antiquity, these appeared, among other things, in Roman palaces. The name suggests rough and rocky terrain with a lot of wind, different names are given to Aigivotos (that feeds goats), Anemoessa (because of the winds), Pelasgia (Island of the Pelasgians, as has been inhabited by Pelasgians), Dolopia (island of Dolopon ) Perirrytos (watering from Sea), Pelagia (Island of the sea).
In Greek history, Skyros was a place from where the hero Achilles went to Troy where he met his fate, as one of the four heroes associated with Skyros - Theseus, Lycomedes, Achilles and Neoptolemus. Theseus died there, murdered by the king who had feared that he would take the throne from him because he was popular as a hero.
If we are to interpret this literally, it meant a place with a lot of rocky terrain, beautiful rock formations/rock masses in close proximity to water/ocean in a fairly windswept area and scarce resources - goats could survive on scarce islands where others could not. It also meant visible and high mountains, the highest mountain there is less than 800 meters high on the island, one of the highest mountain peaks has a city with densely placed buildings on the sides around the mountain itself.
If the alicorns were to live there, it’s not a bad place for them. We know that three alicorns came from G5 Skyros, could that mean a fourth alicorn if the Greek legends were to be used?
Background Pony #CC3D
@Background Pony #CC3D
Thinking about it, it might be a half-truth too. But I doubt there are special dragons that live in those floating lands if they even exist.
If dragon slayers live on these, the dragons would possibly stay away from these floating islands that appeared to be chained to the ground. Since we now know that only the active magic had disappeared, it is possible that those with passive magic could have survived.
We have found that non-ponies have survived, as seen with the zebras in the IDW comics and now the Breezies in MYM, and it is possible that others have survived near pony settlements, we have not seen the crew on the ferry as the Mane 5 was going on holiday, and this ferry had a special appearance reminiscent of the hippogriff’s vessels. And the rumor about the changelings in a cyber society has so far not been refuted, where did the smart phones come from?
We didn’t see the non-ponies because Berrow and others wanted us to focus first on the ponies and the character development among them, especially those who become the New Mane 6. But they went a bit too far, they shouldn’t have been so strict about this.
If we see ninja kirins at the Dragon Lands in next year’s TYT, don’t come and say I didn’t warn you.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I think I know why we didn’t have a lot to say about Winter Wishday. In G4, a two-part episode would usually use its longer runtime to tell a much bigger story. So we weren’t quite sure what to make of Winter Wishday. It’s a cozy worldbuilding roadtrip. Each of the traditions is a reflection of the different cultures. The Wishday traditions with Grandma Figgy reflect Maretime Bay’s simple and relatable culture. We don’t get much context for Wishyhoof, and the Wishentine Royal Carousel Concert being a big production reflects how Zephyr Heights is all about scale and grandeur.
Rather than an active threat, the ponies have to deal with a more passive threat that they unwittingly unleashed upon themselves: the blizzard summoned by “Frosty Shivers”. It’s an interesting idea, but I think it falls short because it suggests danger, but never properly sells it.
Background Pony #545C
Cutie Blossom Bash was so wholesome! Misty didn’t want to do it, she didn’t feel comfortable doing it. Her friends understood and accepted it. So they did something else for her instead, so she felt more comfortable on a special day!
Background Pony #1D02
How long do you think it’s been in-universe since the movie? I’m not sure I’d say a year has gone by but I think at the very least the year the re-unification happened is over and they’re a decent chunk into the first year of re-unification.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@DerpyFast
Well, that’s because the plot of Winter Wishday isn’t trying to sell danger, that part of the story with the unicorns having to stop saying Frostyshivers is meant to expand on G5’s lore and show you how much has changed now that magic has returned. The plot is about the fun of the holidays in the world of G5 and the importance of coming together. Had Sunny and her friends not tried to spend the holidays the way they did, they wouldn’t have been able to save the unicorns. Not only did they need the book from Grandma Figgy to understand what was going on, Figgy’s attitude also foreshadowed the solution to the problem, showing the importance of embracing the new before the unicorns embrace a new saying. The danger is about driving home the special’s point.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Misty’s emotional journey has been about finding the strength to be the pony she wants to be, instead of who Opaline wants her to be. Seeing how her betrayal hurt The Mane Five and Sparky is what gave her that strength, and the courage to switch sides. The bitter irony is that in “Father of the Bridlewood”, that very same strength now means forcing Alphabittle to confront the fact that the daughter he knew is gone forever. To bring things full circle, Misty knew how much this was going to hurt, and probably felt like she was betraying Alphabittle. That’s how you do it.
@CloudMistDragon
I guess so, and too much danger would clash with the cozy tone.
Background Pony #7563
Opaline wants to rule over dragons
Brainwash then and then use them to conquer Equestria and then the other creature lands
Only smart idea she has come up with
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide