MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #CCBF
Would Queen Haven and Phyllis be friends? They’re both single mothers who have a position of power in their respective communities.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@DerpyFast
Seen like this, I dislike Sunny a lot less. You’re actually making me look forward to her development in the show.
I always appreciate your posts. They’re among the standards I try (and fail) to live up to when it comes to contributing good to the forums.
@DerpyFast
I feel it’s temporary too. A teaser of what’s to come, both for the audience and for Sunny herself. “Congratulations for your first step on the journey to ascension.”
Wouldn’t be surprised if the writers subverted the end of that journey, honestly. No idea how though, other than just ‘Sunny doesn’t actually become an alicorn.’
deathsia
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Experienced Writer
It may have a few pacing issues but its clear that they gave a damn about plot integrity at least since they tried to keep it consistent.
For all the praise I give “open your eyes” from Gen 4 MLP movie, aside from a few moments that genuinely impressed me, the movie was shoved forward several times with music numbers instead of giving us plot and/or character development. This meant that unlike the Gen 5 Movie, the director of Gen 4 either didn’t care enough and was in it for the paycheck or he was too inexperienced with the franchise.
Northern Verve

I don’t have too much of a problem with Sunny becoming an Alicorn at the end (Even if it’s rather strangely designed which some have said may mean it’s only a powerup of some kind). As it could be argued Sunny has earned it over years of trying to unite the ponies (It’s just screentime wise, we got to know Twilight over the course of 2 1/2 seasons before she ascended. Plus the implied studenthood under Celestia ever since she was a filly. Of which was unclear of what she was being trained for, up until she ascended)
Though uh… it does sort of entrap the writers of the series in quite a few ways. Alicorn lore is something not even G4 really answered all that well, and I’d understand the frustations about that for FiM originally. The ending of the G5 movie however makes sure that they inherit this issue faster then it would otherwise.
You already have so many questions hurled at the writers team based on just the premise. Now you have whether Sunny’s form is permanent (She didn’t turn back before the end of the movie, plus there’s concept art of a more permanent looking Alicorn form suggesting that at least at one point, this was going to be permanent) or not added as a question. If it is permanent, why the quite different, glowy design (…Other then the cynical look at it by saying it’s just to match the design of the toy), and will she be acknowledged as a Princess are added as questions that may need immediate answers. And even if it isn’t permanent, there was never a case of temporary alicornication for the sole exception of when Cozy Glow was an Alicorn in the final two-parter after receiving power from Grogar’s Bell. And the horn and wings looked just as part of her body as the other Alicorns. Could be seen as something of an overreaction to what went down when Twilight ascended “Uh…. the fan base split itself when we ascended Twilight. You sure we want to do that again? What if we met it half way, made it a power-up of some kind?” though that method having some head scratching of it’s own.
Alicorns have generally been a head scratcher even before Twilight ascended what with Cadence’s debut and the many different interpretations of Luna’s personality before she finally appeared in Luna Eclipsed. But Sunny seemingly becoming one certainly brings that issue up to the forefront again. Not to mention how this easily branches into the other questions. We don’t know how long the timeframe is exactly between G4 and G5. But we know Celestia and Luna have lived for more then 1000 years. And it’s not like they looked all that old when they retired. So… what was the fate of all the Alicorns we knew? You have Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and young Flurry Heart. Maybe even potentially Luster Dawn if perhaps she eventually went that far as Twilight’s student.
Either way, it’s so many questions. And not many easy answers. It’s just another of those things that would have been easier on everyone (On both fans, and the G5 writers and staff) if G5 had been it’s own world like every other MLP generation that had a show, or at the very least G4 was fictional in G5’s world in a very meta sense.
deathsia
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Experienced Writer
Setting up a consistent lore would benefit them in the long run. No one like a plot device that is never fully explained or worse, tweaked to suit the plot as it demands it.
It’s like those cartoons where the protagonist gets a new power or ability out of no where and the only explanation for it is their super power (aka: plot device) spontaneously developed it because it suited the plot of the episode.
I think we can all agree that we don’t want the lore of the Alicorn to be little more than a plot device used for the convenience of an episode’s plot and then tossed away until needed again.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@TOMNICE
Darth Vader was cool until we got the Star Wars prequels. And the Xenomorphs were scary when we didn’t know too much about them.
I think we need some mystery instead of explanations and exposition.
Harmony Gladebloom
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Economist -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Hooves to Hearts! /<3)
Something else I would’ve loved to see is one extra moment of Hitch and Zipp being an action duo at the climax:
“The lighthouse is gonna collapse!”
“We won’t be able to reach them in time!”
“Maybe not alone…”
*Hitch and Zipp give one another a nod in sync*
*Hitch leaps onto his back as Zipp leaps onto his hooves, then the pair catapult her with their combined momentum to catch Sunny and Izzy from the collapsing building*
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
@Ring Team
Except in those examples you mentioned actually make sense why they should be secrets. Xenomorphs are supposed to be scary, the empire is supposed to be evil.
But not in MLP. Why do Celestia and Luna keep their origins a secret? You would think they gonna finally tell Twilight Sparkle how this whole thing works after she took their place, let alone after she became an alicorn just like them. Are they actually tyrants who keep all the knowledge for themselves from the public like some sort of dystopia?
Equestria is supposed a cute colorful place with caring and loving rulers, but because of this many plotholes it is hard to ignore the implications.
Shimmering Spectacle
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

sTs trinity
The pony universe in this movie are like Gabi from Attack on Titan. They’ve spent their entire life being taught that certain types of ponies are the enemy that they refuse to believe otherwise. They’ve essentially been brainwashed.
and you might be right with that, cause that an image of a memory stone is shown near the end of the movie, which means that someone or something might’ve made them forget of what really happened between g4 and g5
Applepie2021

Nostalgia Purist
[@deaths
@deathsia
Oh gawd, descendants of Angel Bunny… Why do i somehow see them ganging up on hitch, taking turns kicking him in the rear while the lead bunny orders him to make them a carrot salad…>.>;
Lol
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
@TOMNICE
Why does alicorns even need to be explained in the first place? Do you think the target demographic of 5-12 year old girls care about the deep intricate lore of horses gaining wings and horns? Even if it did do that, then chances are there’ll be wide disagreements in the fandom about it. It’s best to just leave it up to the imagination and fill in the blanks because it’s not like we’re dealing with a high stakes fantasy or sci-fi show here.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@deathsia
The inherent problem with the G4 movie is that we were seven season in, and all the most important character development for The Mane Six was done ages ago. The whole reason characters like Capper and The Pirates were added was so that the movie would at least have some character development.
@Roseluck
I do try.
Looking for contrast, and for how something fits into an arc goes a long way.
As for the alicorns, I think they’re just chosen ones that show up as they’re needed. Celestia took over raising the sun so that the unicorns wouldn’t have to sacrifice their magic. With Twilight, I’m willing to accept that she was probably going to become an alicorn eventually, even if the transition itself wasn’t handled very well.
Background Pony #CCBF
Hitch asks Sunny if she could maybe be friends with Sprout.
Sunny: Friends?! Hitch, why would I want to be friends with somepony whose values are fundamentally incompatible with mine?
Hitch says maybe she could at least be civil with Sprout.
Sunny says she refuses to be civil with racists.
Background Pony #CB27
G5 movie Japanese dubs self pronouns
私 (watashi) = Sunny, Phyllis, Pipp, Queen Haven
あたし (atashi) = Izzy, Zipp
僕 (boku) = Hitch, Sprout (as a kid or to his mother)
俺 (ore) = Alphabittle, Sprout (as an adult who’s not his mom)
@Background Pony #CCBF
I rewatched the giant robot scene in Japanese dub, I realized without Sprout, Sunny wouldn’t able to realize the true magic, I mean, Sprout’s murderous intentions forced Alphabittle and Queen Haven to even help each other, that is when Sunny found it out.
Sounds harsh, but true, some sticky situations enforces unification more at times, when goals are shared.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide