Viewing last 25 versions of post by DarkObsidian in topic MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
[@Background Pony \#E222](/forums/pony/topics/mlp-g5-discussion-and-speculation-thread?post_id=5294650#post_5294650)

Well, there's some truth to that. Aside from the fact that G5 "suffers" (as some of us see it) from being a sequel to G4 (despite the legitimate hope of being something completely original), I've noticed things that G5 seems to suffer from so far. Much like Equestria Girls, G5 opens a page that obviously not everyone likes.

EQG featured a world that felt much closer to ours (aside from the high school scenario), but built on the sentiments of the fandom that already had a lot invested in the setting of G4. G5 follows a similar path (from my perspective only). Just a little bit more connected to the lore. It shows modern (cultural) things, but at the same time tries to build on the legacy of G4.

Well, it does a "good" job of establishing new things (like Hitch being a dragon dad), or an overshadowing villain, but still tries to be cute and sweet. Much like G4. The problems I see here are rather maginal. G5, in my opinion, suffers from how it's been presented so far.

G4 built (despite some very weak seasons and episodes) on the effect of appearing on a weekly basis. The fandom, no matter how it was composed, discussed on a common basis afterwards. Did you like the episode? Did it add anything to the lore? Who was/is your personal favorite?

G5 (so far) does not. The downside to presenting it on Netflix/Youtube is: it all happens relatively simultaneously. Without a clear focus. Don't get me wrong. I actually like everything about G5 so far. Heck, it even annoys me that MYM counteracts TYT. But I really wish we as a fandom would stop glorifying G4, and give G5 more than a chance. Yeah, I know. G5 is not perfect, nor is it "fabulous" so far. But: I for on my own am glad at all that we have something like G5. And we are still at the beginning.

Personally, I feel very entertained so far. The songs are good. Ponies are still cute (Main Cast, Background Ponies are still dumb as fuck). The animations are visibly getting better. And, with a little more effort from the creators, the timeline might even be halfway good. [which it is not - mistakes in doing two things at once]. Still, hell yeah! G5 is not perfect. Tell me back in G4 first season that someone had the same "Boo! This sucks all!" effort. Because back then, honestly, no one knew any better. I would wonder who among us has really been a fan from the beginning. Honestly? I only joined with The Return of Harmony Part 1.

It's still a series for little kids (girls, actually). But I'm still very grateful that we have it. And that's just my personal opinion anyway. G5 has already won for me in having not only a male main cast with Hitch, but also that he is a father. And who sees that as something negative. I'm sorry. I personally like good portrayals of male characters. And not just "it's all waifu material". So... G5 ist gut. G4 war besser. Mögt es oder nicht. L... ;-)
No reason given
Edited by DarkObsidian