IDW Thread (Spoilers)

apegacine
Since the Beginning  -

@441TheSecond  
Then again the cook version of Twilight might be more competent than cook celestia since at the very least Cook twilight didn’t start the apocolypse for a booty call.  
Also I think I will join you in the chrysalis hate camp.  
Seriously why couldn’t twilight just have killed her in issue 4? And why would she even bother assigning guards to give her meals when she can just starve them to death? its not like there are any chances of redeeming them.
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@apegacine  
Yeah, if we’re supposed to believe she’s as so defaultly and infinitley evil as the comic shows us, there’s not alot of reason, beyond being a kid’s franchise, to not just waste her and her entire army.

Which I’m sure they can.
DanielTepesKraus
Greatest Poster in the Board -
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@PonyPon  
You know what the funny thing is, considering how it’s Chrysalis who got the evilest and most unapologetic characterization?

That, out of all the villains, she probably had the most potential to be the most sympathetic out of all of them, since there was the whole possibility that she was looking out for her own kind, compared to NMM (God-tier hissy-fit), Discord (Doing it for the lulz), Sombra (Literally made of evil), and Tirek (Power-hungry monster).

Not that I mind her being characterized as pure evil, but it almost seems like they wasted a bit of potential by not playing up that angle. I don’t mean like full-on “woobify” her (assuming I’m using that word right), but at least have it there, right?
441TheSecond

Escapee from Alcatraz
@DanielTepesKraus  
Y’now, it’s funny that they made Sombra the most sympathetic AND the most evil villain so far.

I mean, I buy his evilness far more than Chrysalis. Maybe it’s because his evil is a lot more personal, where Chrysalis is just more chaotic.
441TheSecond

Escapee from Alcatraz
@Villain Pony  
I guess he can write something decent when he’s not trying to cram his agenda in.

Also, funny how he wrote a story about how racism is bad, yet Sombra ultimately fell into darkness because of what he was: Part of a race of evil shadow ponies.

@Villain Pony  
Yeah, the imagery was pretty harsh, sure, but it felt like Cook was trying really hard to convince us that Chrysalis was the most dangerous villain that the Mane Six ever faced.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Equality - Was more equal than the rest of the people during the event and did the only smart thing: wasn't there :^)

will return
@441TheSecond  
The thing about that, is you can make a sympathetic and pure evil villain. Lots of writers just think the only way to make a villain sympathetic and three-dimensional is to make them this boo hoo hoo tortured villain who you’re supposed to feel sorry for. A villain can be sympathetic, have clearly defined goals and morals beyond just being villainous, and still be pure evil. The worlds best villain is one where you actually understand and even relate with his motivation but still hate what he is, I think.

@Jarkes  
While it wasn’t what I’d have preferred, to be honest I didn’t mind it at all. More than anything I was pointing out that it’s just funny they made her the least sympathetic out of all of them. Honestly, I always saw NMM as the least sympathetic: “Boo hoo hoo nopony loves me and wah wah wah lets kill my beloved sister and take over the world.” What a bitch. Even Tirek came off as more sympathetic than that.

@PonyPon  
Well, they were always a swarming pest, but I always kind of saw them as vampires. They need to swarm and conquer and feed and kill or else they will die and are only doing what they have to do to stay alive, but that doesn’t change that they’re an evil and murderous species. It actually makes not them, but the plot in and of itself tragic: there is no way they can co-exist and the only option is one side or the other.

@Red-Supernova  
I honestly think she and the changelings fit the “enemy army” characterization the best. Maybe they’re not evil as individuals or personally, like maybe a changeling could be a good guy and even friends with ponies, but they are devoted to their goal and they must be stopped at any cost.

@Villain Pony  
Yeah. Her being 1000 years old sucked a ton of the appeal out of her for me. Like with the other “leftover” villains, it seriously cheapened her entire feud with Cadance and Twilight.

And I think it felt forced purely because there is no need to hammer home the fact that Chrysalis is a villain. That’s a pretty well-established fact. She’s basically a G-rated succubus/vampire hybrid.

@441TheSecond  
And damned if that didn’t come out after I claimed Whitley was a crappy author. Credit where credit is due: that shut me right the fuck up. Hell, maybe he actually took the wrath and scorn that was being heaped upon that issue to heart and decided to, you know, just write a comic next time instead.
441TheSecond

Escapee from Alcatraz
@DanielTepesKraus  
>The worlds best villain is one where you actually understand and even relate with his motivation but still hate what he is, I think.  
Y’now, I just keep thinking of Handsome Jack.

He’s still my all-time favorite villain.
soundtea
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses

Ocellus is best buggo
@441TheSecond  
Funny Valentine from Steel Ball Run for me.

Yes, he does some pretty damn wicked things, but he’s always personable (given that he’s the flippen US president), and has a very noble goal (diverting all misery in the US to the rest of the planet to make a promised land for his people) that’s possibly even more noble than the protagonist’s. And he isnt woobiefied in the slightest.

In contrast, Diavolo from Part 5 is built as a total unrepentant dick who wants to take over the world, and ends up the most flat and generally unpopular villain in all of JoJo.
DanielTepesKraus
GREEN - TALK TO ME

will return
@441TheSecond  
@Digitalgame  
@soundtea  
My all-time favorite villain in anything is this guy.  
Spoilered for anyone who hasn’t played Telltale’s The Walking Dead:  
||  
full  
You don’t know who he is, where he came from, his story, or even his name, and he probably wasn’t even that bad of a guy before the world went to hell. All you know about him, is that it’s due to your own group’s actions that his family died and now he’s snapped. In other words, you’re his villain. Then you get this great scene where he has Clementine hostage and you and him just talk. He just comes off as this completely broken and suffering monster, and you want to kill him both because you need to stop him and because you honestly feel so bad for him you just want to put him out of his misery.||
Background Pony #ACB8
@Jarkes  
Is it me or have they turned Chrysalis into Sombra? Raiding, pillaging, warmongering and terrorizing are stuff I associate with Sombra, not Chrysalis.

@DanielTepesKraus  
I see a double standard here. You hate Sombra because you know nothing about his origin and motivations and you love this guy for the exact same reasons.
soundtea
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses

Ocellus is best buggo
@RektPony  
I don’t think anyone came up with an idea resembling Starswirl getting a small injury on his hoof next to some magic tree and it giving flies ponyish forms.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
Sombra and Tirek had believable backstories with IDW. People SAY they don’t like childhood trauma being the source of evil, but “born evil” stories are harder to pull off because it happens much, much, MUCH less than the former IRL.
441TheSecond

Escapee from Alcatraz
@RektPony  
I had a very different headcanon for Sombra’s backstory, yet I still liked his comic.

I didn’t like most of the Fiendship is Magic comics because they were just crap.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Now split into two threads.