IDW Comics - Story Discussion (Spoilers)

TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
Two hot takes.
  1. Now that the g5 arc is over or at least Discord’s side of things. I feel g4 is at least trying to be awesome while g5 is one glorified slice of life story with a mediocre ending that ironically the majority loves about the g4 comics.
  2. Speaking of which, the ending with Discord was the most mediocre. One thing I don’t like about the g4 show was the Grogar twist in Ending of the End. What I don’t like about the g4 comics was the Reflections ending. What was the point of an alternate universe when in the end, Sombra’s sacrifice reversed his evil and good to be exactly like Equestria Prime’s. The point of alternate universes is to be what ifs, not and. Also, Opaline, Misty and Sparky don’t appear to exist here.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
Great Last Issue. Great Art, emotional, getting to see Discord use his powers in a battle, character development for Izzy and sunny. Concepts of grief and world peace. Generally wholesome 💘 the best ending I could have expected from this arc. Staying true to mlp’s ideals of friendship and love
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
And one more hot take, the comics have gotten so terrible, there’s little people to maintain the tvtropes page. That or there isn’t much to talk about the fillers that have happened if at all.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Phoenixflambe
emotional factor is important and why to me, this was an amazing issue. Than again i have a personal connection to Discord and Fluttershy’s relationship. But even if I wasn’t, just think about the difference tyt (fart jokes) and G5 comics(themes of grief, themes of how to bring about peace etc. )
Background Pony #F035
Great Last Issue. Great Art, emotional, getting to see Discord use his powers in a battle, character development for Izzy and sunny. Concepts of grief and world peace. Generally wholesome 💘 the best ending I could have expected from this arc. Staying true to mlp’s ideals of friendship and love
If the Discord arc had come out BEFORE C1 or even C2, it would have been chronologically possible to incorporate it into the G5 cannon - which then indicates that the work on the story and the art was finished a very long time ago. Then it is very surprising that IDW comics had to drag out the time with so many filler comics that turned out to be pointless with a story that became outdated quite a long time ago. This suggests that there are problems surrounding the release of the G5 at all levels.
But; taken as a whole - the time frame seems to be only a few days at most - the Discord Arc isn’t bad. CORZ2000 put it into words, “Staying true to mlp’s ideals of friendship and love.” Page 18 is perhaps one of the most timeless displays in the entire history of MLP, where Discord’s grief and Fluttershy’s comfort are shown in their entirety in one of the most emotional moments ever shown. Discord was in truth deeply devastated by her demise which could not have been hammered so hard on the MLP fans. Her death is confirmed. We saw for a moment that Discord, when he was about to destroy the pegasi crystal, seems to regret what he is about to do, and that he is doing it for Fluttershy’s sake. So her voice was a great shock that shook him to the core.
It’s too good to be AU in the G5 saga. If IDW collects all the real issues in one work and takes away the filler comics, it is possible that the compilation booklet will be torn away very quickly.
When we saw Fluttershy in the G5, this is the proof that the Elysium is a thing in the MLP universe. For her spirit had returned to the world of mortals when Discord was in his deepest grief. It means that the dead are not truly gone forever. They are still around in the G5, possibly without Twilight who may still be alive.
Posted Report
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Background Pony #F035
Beautifully said. It incorporates what mlp holds dear.
I agree this storyline, at least parts of it are too good to only be in idw and possibly be a AU. I mean heck sunny actually reached one of her goals that she promised her dad in the comics. I personally love the last issue so much that im willing to accept this as the canon finale of Discord’s character. I do agree though that the comic writers and show writers didn’t seem to know the time frames of each other given all the filler, this arc could have definitely been quicker. At the same time though, I can feel that the writers put so much time and care into this last issue in terms of expressing emotion, art and action. That I wish they would have give this much passion to mym and/or tyt as well.
Imagine if this arc was in Make Your Mark! Then again mym animation budget probably couldn’t make all this work yet especially with discord’s character design. I mean there is a reason u don’t often see background ponies in make your mark, like u did with the g5 movie. At the very least it would be great to see a fan animation of the g5 discord arc or I would even be fine with just the last issue: issue 10 being animated.
Posted Report
Background Pony #9799
@CORDZ2000
That won’t stop people from doing it.
@Background Pony #F035
Or they assumed people hated short arcs and not quick resolutions?
@Phoenixflambe
Maybe they made this after the movie and before opaline, misty and Sparky Were introduced? I mean, the g4 season 10 finale seemed to apparently have been a cliffhanger for season 11 (which definitely have been cancelled, probably cause of Generations and G5).
Posted Report
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@Background Pony #F035
If it has any place at all within the show, it would have make sense that
A) It takes place after Opaline’s defeat since Discord and them don’t seem to be worried about Opaline
Or
B) It still takes place after Chapter 2 or 3 at most and Discord, Sunny and friends and in the case especially of Discord, assumed Opaline is dead, or figured the 5 are worthy to defeat her and not him for he’ll make it too easy or Opaline has an uncanny immunity to chaos magic as Discord was powerless even with powers to stop her.
@Background Pony #9799
I doubt they even have a plan for a season 11. But yeah, Hasbro right now is definitely focused on g5. But two things:
  1. I’m very aware it was made and conceived just after the movie. But given the show that came after that showed Earth pony magic just coming out and Hitch just gaining the ability to actually talk to animals while the comics immediately saying they already have and mastered their Earth pony magic among many other inconsistencies, is just too contrived.
  2. They still make g4 comics given that we got Little Fillies starring the Mane 6. At best, you’re telling me they simply aren’t allowed to continue the main g4 timeline as their own thing like with their Transformers comics.
Posted Report
Background Pony #9D70
Reflecting towards the Discord arc, the only reason it probably ran that long was probably cause other comics tended to do side stories in the arc.
Posted Report
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

1. They still make g4 comics given that we got Little Fillies starring the Mane 6. At best, you’re telling me they simply aren’t allowed to continue the main g4 timeline as their own thing like with their Transformers comics.
It looked like the end of the main G4 comic was more about the COVID-19 pandemic screwing with the comic industry than any executive meddling from Hasbro. The Season 10 cliffhanger may simply have been them leaving their options open - the fandom being what it is, I had always thought that there’d be ample demand for G4 and G5 comics side by side.
Posted Report
TheQuietMan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

House of the Arcana
@icicle wicicle 1517
His source is Chrysalis escapes as seen in the ending of season 10, and as seen in Friendship in Disguise, only Chrysalis showed up mentioning she broke free from a (stoney) prison and the Young Six showed up which means it’s definitely after season 8 but Chrysalis was still at large during that time so it had to be after 9 when she was imprisoned and 10 when she broke out. Basically putting the pieces together.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide