IDW Comics - Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@PonyPon

This, pretty much.

The comic staff has consistently shown that they cannot be trusted with a story having any kind of tension or, heaven forbid, a villain. Claiming the next step of the series to be held to a higher “canon status” ain’t gonna change that.
Background Pony #A31B
Having Season 10 be in the comics is a mistake, IMO.

The comics gave us such terrible stories as Reflections, Siege of the Crystal Empire, and Cosmos.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@kleptomage  
We know Hasbro squeezes our desires out, but of course I would prefer the show and not this with the comic writers shame stories.
Background Pony #03C9
My pardon if this is the wrong thread for this comment, but according to DriveThruRPG, which also sells comics, they’re dropping all of their IDW titles at the end of December. How bad is news like this for IDW and the MLP comics? Their sales seem to be dropping more and more; it used to be that the local comic shops couldn’t even keep MLP:FiM in stock. Now I see them having a backlog extending for several months on the shelves. Heck, not even Pencils’ stuff is selling locally and he’s a great artist.

Does this mean that IDW is going out of business?
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Background Pony #DDE9  
The lastest pony comics (Occelus story and the Holiday special) couldn’t break the 7K and 6K marks, respectively. The reasons for this decline have been largely discussed but nobody at IDW has shown any signs of concern.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Philweasel  
IDW staffer explained some years ago that each issue needs to sell over 5K issues just to avoid going to red. As you can see, they haven’t been making much of a profit for a long time.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
We can only wait how Season 10 will turn out.

Season 10 will turn into the new canon, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
One thing that I really wished for the comics is for their arcs to be a bit more longer, to take their time to tell what is need to be necessary, more detail and such.

Unfortunately, the comics are basically short stories, limited to two or four issues maximum, after that, they jump into other plots. This limits their writing, which provokes anti-climatic endings if the plot involves action or epic stories.
Anonycat
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Background Pony #5352  
Or being used as an excuse for the writers and artists to introduce and shill their own characters at the story and protagonist’s expenses. Fortunately, eventually Hasbro and IDW decided to step in and put some restrictions to this, even if it happened a bit too late.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event

(Foil Hat)
@Anonycat  
The question is: Who is restricted? I guess Radiant Hope, Miss Pommel, Suri Polomare, Babs Seed (hasn’t appeared at all since FF37 which is why I’m putting her here), all Season 9 characters, the Season 9 villains, the Reflections counterparts, anyone created by someone no longer working for IDW, and any new characters IDW creates unless approved.
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
@Anonycat  
@Wiimeiser  
I hope the season 10 comic turns to be a “soft reboot”, and erases things from the past like Wiimeiser mentioned, and keeping with the lore of the show, instead of what was part of the comics only.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide