IDW Comics - Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Poison Trail
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@Anonycat

That’s the most frustrating part, the toys were part of this push of having gender-neutral toys that wouldn’t be relegated to the Pink Aisle, it’s a risk Hasbro was willing to take to try and find a new territory to expand.

Then IDW fucked up the comics with poor quality control and the toys ended up cannibalizing the space of regular MLP toys because 99% of retailers saw MLP on the box and immediately shoved them with the rest. It made for bloated shelves and toys that went on clearance super quick, what a disaster.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Poison Trail  
The problem is the concept of gender neutral toys is just that, a concept. I remember reading a letter in one of my local newspapers that, if I’m remembering the contents correctly, said getting rid of gendered toys would make toys androgynous blobs and children androgynous as well. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: So we seem to be veering off-topic…
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Wiimeiser  
Fosgitt’s art is the least offensive part of the entire thing. It pales in comparison to the nonsensical plot, wooden dialogue, terrible pacing and how BUY OUR TOYS it was.

Fosgitt only drew part of it, and you could argue that it least fit the infantile tone.
RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
GoH could have sell well if it was a separate spin off series from MLP, by being a different cartoon series with different characters and a different story, with more action and adventures.

In my opinion, the main error of GoH was using the same characters and representing them as totally different things that didnt fit to well for them. In the end, and thanks to the comics, everything looked silly and dumb.
Background Pony #2B5E
There’s also that Fosgitt drew the FF issue that only had Starlight as one of the main characters and she never seems to show up later in comics.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
There’s also that Fosgitt drew the FF issue that only had Starlight as one of the main characters and she never seems to show up later in comics.

They honestly don’t seem to know how to use her.

I think it’s because the comics veer more towards adventure arcs, which she’s not really suited for.
Background Pony #2B5E
@Philweasel  
It seems like after the Accord arc they seem hesitant to use her as if the backlash seem to signify never use her and only keep her in smaller roles or background cameos.
Poison Trail
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

I think they did know how, the reason instead was that those arcs took place during the S6-S7 “Starpocalypse” days when they were under strict orders from Hasbro and/or DHX to only showcase her as being above and beyond everyone else. It led to her either not being used at all or to being put as some background ornament that would still shill her in some way such as an award of being the “BEST STUDENT EVAR”. Her one major role (which I seriously doubt writers had any choice in) was in the widely panned Accord arc in which she manages to out-wisdom and out-charisma the titular villain and a brooding, emo version of Celestia hit over the head with a baseball bat. It was essentially the comic version of Movie Night, which in turn proved that said orders from Hasbro also extended to the EQG spinoff for a complete takeover.

Then as the restrictions on how she is to be used were lifted around S8’s development, writers began to use her properly…. just kidding, we haven’t seen her since. Seemingly turns out writers don’t like having godlike characters shoved down their throat, who’d have known.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@Wiimeiser
Hasbro trying to make gender neutral toys was admirable, but you can’t overcome generations of gender stereotyping with one toyline.

The only ways to overcome any ideology are death, control, and time. And by time, I’m pretty sure it’ll take so long we’ll actually have a nuclear holocaust before it happens.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Poison Trail  
It’s bizarre, because Starlight was never used like that in the actual show. Season six was mostly her being crap at friendship, capped by being considerably less useful in a adventure arc than Trixie.

When she then started appearing in the spin offs being bland and giving discount Twilight speeches, I could only tilt my eyebrow quizzically. Thank god season seven returned to mostly featuring her being a socially dysfunctional mess, since that’s what she does best.
Poison Trail
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Philweasel

The spinoffs have never had the leeway the main show has with Hasbro, as though the best IDW could get from them is a “Yes” or “No” answer along with set parameters as to what a character can and cannot do, a “show bible” so to speak. IIRC someone at DHX acts as a direct line and liaison with Hasbro so they have much quicker responses. Wouldn’t be surprising to know down the line that the staff at IDW stopped asking and just went with the safest options there are, mainly to follow comic-only storylines (Nightmare Forces, alternate dimensions…)and not bother with anything too creative. Plus as horrendous as Seige was, it still must’ve been at least frustrating to see their work obliterated like that.

Same with Starlight, they got the memo from S6-7 Hasbro that their version isn’t allowed to be flawed in any way, so they just stopped caring after cramming through the Accord arc. ¯*(ツ)*/¯

Would be nice to see the comics and maybe even EQG have a second take on her S8-9 self before they end, too.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
Would be nice to see the comics publishing a story protagonized by nothing but background ponies and secondary characters, where they pool their talents and skills to resolve a crisis without the Mane 6’s help, mostly to send tem off on a decent note after several stories featured them as borderline retarded cretins who can’t do anything without someone guiding and holding their hands 24/7. (Ponyville Days, Elections, Sugar Ban.)
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
So, uh, I dunno where else to post this,  
but, uh, the MLP Manga released today, and it’s uh

Kind of amazing
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Prowl  
Hell yeah. It’s like watching S01 and 02 all over again but with the current version of the show characters.  
I’m ordering this issue right now, and it will be worth every peso.

So, Doctor Whooves and Derpy is a canon thing now, and the way the manga managed to introduce the Tardis without evoking BBC’s wrath was very ingenious.
Anonycat
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Ardashir  
For what’s worth, the Pinkie Pie and Celestia chapter is way, way better than it’s comic counterpart drawn by Jay Fosgitt. In fact, manga Celestia is great.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide