IDW Comics - Story Discussion (Spoilers)

soundtea
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Ocellus is best buggo
Well that ended completely as expected, giant pile of meh and writing the apples out so they never pop up in the show ever.

gg no re. Hope Whitley can hit this next one out of the park.
soundtea
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Ocellus is best buggo
So did Zahler completely forget the apples absorbed all magic? Twilight out of nowhere had her magic working against them just like that out of nowhere. And that conclusion was one hell of a letdown.
dynamicv

@soundtea  
Technically, the comic never said they absorbe ALL magic. Just the kind of magic Twilight was using at the time as a unicorn.

When she was fighting them later she was a vampire pony. Pinkie also had super strength and Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie gained wings and flight magic.
soundtea

Ocellus is best buggo
@dynamicv  
You forgot Luna, who was able to do nothing against them as well.

Also there was absolutely nothing in the comic that stated that being a vampire bat pony meant she could automatically bypass the magic absorb thing. That’s pure headcanon.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@dynamicv  
Umm, Twilight is an alicorn.

@soundtea  
Which is a good reason on why putting an anti-magic label to make a threat more intimidating and an attempt to make alicorns not OP does not make the situation better. Its just lazy writing.
dynamicv

@Red-Supernova  
Alicorns have “alicorn magic” that other ponies don’t have.  
Twilight mentions that the magic she uses on a day to day basis is unicorn magic, even though she is an alicorn (in Twilight’s Kingdom).
soundtea

Ocellus is best buggo
@dynamicv  
Except we have literally no evidence that there is bat pony magic in horn form that’s any different from regular magic. The comic itself even shows that magic as a bat pony first did nothing, then suddenly a couple pages later it works just fine.

Not even giving it a token mention or anything feels like they just got rid of the weakness because reasons. Like if suddenly Juggernaut or Magneto’s helmets somehow stopped being psychic proof mid-battle for no reason other than to make the good guys win.
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
“Normal” magic doesn’t work, but “vampire” magic is supposed to be different? Well that is why they changed into vampires in the first place.

Can’t say I like that excuse but it’s the one they are rolling with, so whatever. After all, when in doubt, remember the immortal saying “It’s magic; I ain’t gotta explain shit.”

Mostly I’m just glad this is over so we can finally get the Siege arc next.
soundtea

Ocellus is best buggo
@Dustcan  
It’d at least help if they ya know, mentioned it. Even as a bat an apple was just grinning as Twilight shot it, yet later she’s blasting one away. It feels like a flimsy excuse. Which is to be expected given the average comic quality these days.

Feels like Whitley’s arc is the last chance to save the main series.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
remember the immortal saying “It’s magic; I ain’t gotta explain shit.”
We can’t just say that, because there would be no point in writing a good, sensical story. Magic in any fiction work has its rule, and you can’t just establish a “magic doesn’t work” rule in one page and then ignore it in the next without any explanation.
dynamicv

@soundtea

Both times she attacked the apples as a bat, it looked the same.  
The first time she said they were loosing because they were outnumbered, not because her magic still wasn’t working.
soundtea

Ocellus is best buggo
@dynamicv  
Then show some sign that it’s actually working against the first apple.

From what we see, it looks like she just went past their immunity out of nowhere just to complete the heroic rousing when Flutterbat came in. Either way, forgettable meh arc that adds nothing.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@dynamicv  
The first time, the apple was grinning like it wasn’t affected. The second time, it was wincing. So either it was not consistent, or the art did not do a good job conveying the fact that magic as vampire did work. Regardless, making thing works when they previously didn’t without explanation is bad. Even a single line like “vampire strength” would have been better than nothing.
dynamicv

@Grieffon

This isn’t animation. Time is compressed, so it’s hard to tell if the apple is grining because the attack does nothing, or because despite being affected the ponies will lose to their superior numbers.

vampire strength

They literally said exactly this, word for word at one point.
soundtea

Ocellus is best buggo
@dynamicv  
Physical, not magical, and strength doesnt help to get past explicitly stated magic absorption. If it was a magic shield or resistance, then i’d sorta buy it.
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Grieffon

I agree. Which is why that excuse still rubs me wrong.

I’m just trying to point out, if for no other reason than to keep things in perspective, that trying to “explain magic” is in the end a foolhardy endeavor.
Grieffon
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -

h
Anyway, to sum things up

• The comic didn’t do very well on explaining whether magic actually worked on the apples, and if so, why.  
  • Even if it worked, why did Twilight even try it in the first place, given the previous time she tried it, it just got absorbed? She’s not the type to just mindlessly blast magic at things, hoping it would work if she just shoots more.
dynamicv

Transferring this over, since it isn’t meta and I haven’t got a response yet:

@soundtea  
extra strength to a magic attack doesnt do anything when the thing you’re attacking absorbs it.

Interesting argument here. You are saying that magic absorption has no limits, and that cranking it up to eleven wouldn’t do anything, yes? If this is indeed true, you have defeated me.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide