Culture, Biology, and Dietary Headcanons

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #1356  
I’m mostly asking because I wanna make the role of a magical gay spawn OC of mine who was born of a nightmare (yeah it sounds crazy) to end with him being able to roam the very kinds of dreams he came from as reality is too harsh for him.
Background Pony #44BF
@Background Pony #1356
I’m mostly asking because I wanna make the role of a magical gay spawn OC of mine who was born of a nightmare (yeah it sounds crazy) to end with him being able to roam the very kinds of dreams he came from as reality is too harsh for him.
Hmm… well, “Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?” made it very (canonically) clear that a dark construct from the dream dimension, with enough power at its disposal, would be entirely capable of escaping into physical reality. If said OC was spawned when some other variety of dream creation escaped (however briefly) into the world, I see no reason why the child produced wouldn’t have some ability to cross that dimension as well. Part of him would be native to world, making it potentially easier to access.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #44BF  
yeah, that was my reason for coming up with the idea. He came from a dream, at first existed in it, but his, ahh, one father who had the dream has an innate ability to manifest things he dream in reality in some tangential way, and a spell from a powerful unicorn, the other father, purged a cloud of a nightmare from his head, which manifested into the same egg that was dreamed up, bringing the dream baby to reality. After some more stuff happens which makes him older, it is decided that reality doesn’t work for him, so they figure out a way to send him into the dream realm, or something like that, so he can comfortably exist in a safer place for himself that is more true to his origins.
Background Pony #44BF
@LightningBolt  
Ah, ok. Then yeah, I don’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work. It might be a bit hard initially since it wouldn’t necessarily be something the child would be used to doing, but I’m sure he could learn.
Latecomer

@LightningBolt  
I don’t see why they couldn’t exist - unicorns would be most likely of course, since she uses her own unicorn magic for it, but Other creatures could come at it from the other direction, so to speak - awakening within their own lucid dreams and finding doors to the dreamscape from there. (And indeed, that makes for a solid natual power for night ponies if they existed - allowing them to guard daytime dreams while Luna sleeps.)
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
I mean… raising and lowering the sun and moon is something that unicorns can do, in a group and at a cost, so it’s a fair assumption that what the princesses can do is simply the furthest end of the pony bell curve rather that something entirely distinct and unique. Dream walking could then also be something regular ponies could do, although it probably wouldn’t be extremely common.

Hmm. I remember Luna mentioning something in “A Royal Problem” about needing her own cutie mark to be able to do anything in the dream realm. Perhaps, then, while any lucid dreamer could figure out how to go from dream to dream, you would need a specific special talent to be able to actively manipulate others’ dreams.
Background Pony #44BF
Hmm. I remember Luna mentioning something in “A Royal Problem” about needing her own cutie mark to be able to do anything in the dream realm. Perhaps, then, while any lucid dreamer could figure out how to go from dream to dream, you would need a specific special talent to be able to actively manipulate others’ dreams.
Actually what she says is that Celestia’s magic doesn’t work there.  
Princess Celestia: “But my magic isn’t powerful enough! I thought if we worked together…!”
Princess Luna: “I have your magic, remember? It doesn’t work in the dream realm. It has to be you!”
But I suspect you have a point about needing to be specifically talented to manipulate dreams.
Latecomer

Night ponies having it as a racial talent is possible though - like how there are weather spells and flight spells but a pegasus can just do it.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
Random question. If ponies commit murder, how high/low do you think the murder rate is in equestria?
Ardashir
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@LightningBolt  
Maybe. I remember some biologists and zoologists telling me that herbivores are more violent than carnivores. It has something to do with carnivores having instincts warning them when it’s time to back off from a fight so they don’t kill a mate or child, while herbivores lack that instinct.
Latecomer

@Ranch  
Low - maybe a dozen a year across the whole country. (Perhaps doubled if you include ponyslaugter.) Even Manehatten doesn’t have one every year, although some they’ll have two or three. (The odd multiple killing, though rare, also has a significant effect on the stats.)
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@Ranch  
Very, very low. Ponies lack both the readily available means and motives to kill- Equestria seems to be a post-scarcity society to some extent, so why bother?
Latecomer

@GenericArchangel  
I wouldn’t say we have sustatial evidence of that - just because the show focuses on the middle and upper classes doesn’t mean there isn’t poverty. And it’s not like greed is the only reason people kill, anyway - possessing the full human emotional range, ponies should be capable of crimes of passion. And as for means… well besides their likely skullcrushing back kicks, a lot of them command the weather and can drop objects/ponies from a height, and a lot of others can do the same as well as dozens of other very lethal things with magic.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@Latecomer  
Fair enough. I’d still say that poverty is probably not a thing- I’ll avoid getting into politics, you can PM me if you want to hear me rant about ponies and social welfare. I suppose crimes of passion would occur, but the ponies are nothing if not pacifists- we very rarely see them get into fights over things, and only grudgingly defend themselves from harm.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
Considering friendship is literally magic. I can accept that poverty is probably very low if it even exists at all. Also it looks like you can live a fairly comfy life making little considering how much money it takes to buy things. You are guaranteed a talent that will help guide you towards a career. Also literal treasure is poking out of the ground like potatoes if you know where to look. It’s probably hard to be poor in Equestria. Or to be more specific, its probably hard to be homeless in Equestria. Being poor probably doesn’t mean much since quality of life is probably still pretty good even for the lowest income earners.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
Crimes of passion, I won’t take greed off the table as greed doesn’t have a cap or limit, jealousy could be a reason when I think about Starlight Glimmer’s village….

To keep a secret. This is less likely but of course people will kill to keep their secrets hidden, maybe ponies, or some small number of ponies are also capable of this.

And even with all of that we’d probably only get 1 murder every 5 years at most.
Latecomer

@GenericArchangel  
Really? I recall some fairly casual roughhousing early on, but that might have been under Discord’s influence. Certainly, they’ve never really hesitated to defend themselves that I recall.

@Ranch  
“Treasure” is not that valuable if it isn’t rare - basic law of economics. Rarity can only gather gems so easily because of her talent, and even then most are probably just pretty stones worth a bit or two.

And not all talents will lend themsleves to a profitable job.

@Ranch  
How big do you see Equestria as?
Background Pony #1356
Random question. If ponies commit murder, how high/low do you think the murder rate is in equestria?
My short answer to that question would be, extremely low, bordering on nonexistent.

@LightningBolt  
@Ranch
I would assume more murder from predatory species.
@Ardashir
Well I meant less ‘murder’ and more ‘dragons/griffons/whatever eating ponies/other herbivores when hungry’.
I don’t know if I can picture griffons eating entire ponies, regardless of the predatory creatures they’re formed from, but smaller, (hopefully) non-sapient herbivores could certainly be a possibility. As for dragons… you know, that’s actually a bit tougher to say. They are far more content to eat gems than anything else (as the show itself often demonstrated), but the bigger, older ones also have a real issue when it comes to noticing any harm they might be causing others (case and point, the sleeping dragon from season one). And that obliviousness and love of gems could become a problem for one subsection of the pony world in particular.  

Maybe never invite dragons other than Spike to the Crystal Empire.

@GenericArchangel  
Equestria seems to be a post-scarcity society to some extent, so why bother?
I wouldn’t say we have sustatial evidence of that - just because the show focuses on the middle and upper classes doesn’t mean there isn’t poverty.
I actually think GenericArchangel is closer to the truth on this matter. I mean, there is clearly poverty in the world Equestria inhabits. Both the Griffon Kingdom and some of the areas explored in the movie have obvious signs of individuals who are barely making enough to survive and are willing to resort to some unpleasant extremes to earn a living.  

A reminder that Capper was planning on selling another sapient species.

And to be fair, the show did actually make some distinction between rich and poor among the ponies as well. Diamond Tiara’s family is quite obviously wealthier than most of the other ones in Ponyville, and we did have the very brief moment in season one where Applejack’s entire reason for wanting to go to the Gala was to raise money. But we never get a sense that anyone in Equestria is really destitute and suffering as a result of that. Even Trixie, the most literal example of someone who doesn’t have a steady income or a permanent residence, was able to earn revenge plot money with a few weeks of farm work.

It really suggests that Equestria is either swimming in easily earned capital, filled with generous ponies willing to help others out, or that their social support is good enough that even substantial income disparity isn’t nearly a “resort to murder” level problem.

@Ranch  
I won’t take greed off the table as greed doesn’t have a cap or limit
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
@Latecomer

I remember one scene where the cmc used a little gem to buy a big piece of equipment. I couldn’t tell you now what episode it was in.
Background Pony #1356
I remember one scene where the cmc used a little gem to buy a big piece of equipment. I couldn’t tell you now what episode it was in.
“Just for Sidekicks”. Season 3, episode 11. Spike gives the CMC a gem to watch the mane 6 pets, and they use it to buy (among other things) an industrial-sized pet dryer.
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
@Background Pony #1356

My headcanon is that different types of gems have differnt values. the types of gems that Rarity uses are very abundant and of low value, while some gems have far higher values, and there are also rock farm-grown gems…
Latecomer

@Mildgyth  
Yeah, but that’s only relevent when calculated against your guess at the annual murder rate.

@Ranch  
Which suggests that the value of gems is quite variant.

@Background Pony #1356  
There were struggling pony areas, albiet small, remote and largely self-caused - like Starlight’s  
village.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide