Culture, Biology, and Dietary Headcanons

Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
Since we’re talking about batponies, I think they are indeed a mutated subspecies of Pegasus, created by the magic of Nightmare Moon herself. After the failed rebellion, they were shipped off to a penal colony, which eventually became the new home nation of batponies. The nation is called Thestralia.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
I don’t like the term Thestrals for batponies that much. It’s too much Harry Potter for me. Even if the word itself comes more from the Old English word thīestre, which is actually really nice and clever, the fandom should have chosen a name that does not remind so much of another franchise. At least in my opinion. Na ja, was soll’s. ;-)
Background Pony #1356
I eventually came to the conclusion that Luna’s guards are normal pegasi under a Lunar version of the same (armor-based?) magic that makes all Celestia’s royal guards look identical to each other.
How do you know Celestia’s guards only look identical? Maybe they actually are. I mean, think about it for a second. Problems in Equestria don’t typically just stop happening, and for a thousand years of Equestrian history, Celestia had to contend with not only being cut off from the always useful deus ex machina gems, but also with being one of the only princesses able to deal with all princess level stuff. And sure, you can open up applications for the guard or start aggressively conscripting ponies to deal with the threats that pop up all over the Equestria, but it would be a lot faster and easier to simply find the most combat talented, loyal soldier already in your service and just copy him or her a few thousand times over.

Not that we’ve ever seen some ancient, well hidden location where you could magically clone an entire army on the show, of course.  

I mean… come on, the room has a ramp. What natural cave has a winding ramp like that?  

Ok, it probably wouldn’t be the smartest army ever, but the copies do get the same talents as the original and so long as the personality is set to “protect princess and country”, it would probably be a very effective force.
Frustration in Excelsis
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Artist -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -

Worldbuilding Addict
@Background Pony #1356

Issue is, Celestia’s guards don’t actually look identical – or at least they haven’t for a while. We’ve had clearly individual ones with distinct personalities since… Season 5, I believe.  

And we know that guards can and do leave service and take up different lifestyles, interests and careers once their tour’s ended.  

This guy and the blue-maned guard above are the same person.

Afterwards, when large numbers of guards are on-screen at once it’s common for them to look distinct from one another.  

Latecomer

@Frustration in Excelsis  
identical guards were just the biggest manifestation of the once-common duplication of background ponies - but since theu were there right from the beginning and very obviously, even becominng somewhat iconic, iv’s an image which sticks with the guards.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Latecomer  
Next you’re gonna start parroting the “95% of the population of equestria is all female so of course everyone being lesbian makes perfect sense and stallions are treated as lesser beings” nonsense. :P

Joking, of course…unless?
Background Pony #44BF
Issue is, Celestia’s guards don’t actually look identical – or at least they haven’t for a while. We’ve had clearly individual ones with distinct personalities since… Season 5, I believe.
Yes, I know. I was mostly just having fun with the idea based on what Mildgyth said about them being identical looking.

But… the distinctiveness that came about in later seasons could still be logically explained without losing the clone idea. The guards started showing more distinctiveness and stopped being completely identical after Celestia’s student bonded with the elements of harmony, and her sister returned. Once she had backup and support for herself in place again, the more drastic measures she had needed to keep Equestria running smoothly could be relaxed, and the royal guard could once again afford the time for training and resume using volunteers instead of copies.
Latecomer

@LightningBolt  
I don’t think it was that out of balance even in season 1 - but yes, the proportion of stallions to mares defintlu went up over time. (likewise the proportion of ponies who wear clothes.)
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Latecomer  
It wasn’t, and I doubt that anyone who ever even made that claim, or still does to this day, ever thought that hard about it, and are only saying it to justify something dumb.

I don’t see people in other franchises act like ‘the world is 95% X’ because X is what most main characters are.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Latecomer  
I wouldn’t say the guards all being stallions was an issue, that’s one thing. The issue is that until about Rarity Investigates (if the above screencap is any indication) we only had two guard models and one was only ever used in the intro.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide