A message to the entire Fandom.

Newman134

I’ve changed my stance on the future of the fandom and the show’s eventual end.

Why do you have to make such a big fuss as if the show ending is going to be like the death of something cherished? the “end of ponies” category on derpibooru is flooded with emotional pics/memes. It’s depressing ad draining to see so many longtime fans bawling over it emotionally and talking like it and memories of it and it’s community will be forgotten in an instant or within two years. It’s so draining to see fans like this. I’m even suffering from a writer’s and Artist’s block because of this attitude. This mourning of oneself simply because you wont experience the same sensory and feels you had when you first watched it. I see this same emotional tirade everywhere including on Deviantart and twitter. Just emotional responses as if someone died and will be missed.

full  
full  
full

It’s not healthy for one to obsess over G4 and EqG to the point where you can no longer control your emotions when it ends and also make it like it’s the only thing holding you back from committing suicide. It’s not healthy and trust me, It happened to me before when i was a Steven Universe Fan and I almost went insane because of it. I even took AT’s ending maturely without going into an emotional tirade over it. Keep your rational brain folks.

Jesus Christ, I’m not even trolling when I’m saying this. You don’t have to pull down others and yourself. Even though The Show ends but you don’t have to see it as necessarily the end. Life doesn’t end with “The End”. it goes on. You can continue to admire G4 whenever you wish now. you can move on but you can also always revisit it from time-to-time.

learn how to be content with what you have and even when all these shows of the 2000’s and 2010’s have ended. you can always come back You can always download them onto portable hard drives to watch them again

You don’t even have to necessarily move on to other fandoms either as.In my opinion, doing so only shows how you consume the content and then just throw it away like everything else we take for granted and move on just because it’s over. When the fandom declines, it’s going to be one of those many examples of that consumerist mindset i absolutely hate given i am a person who admires past things or the past in general and fights to preserve it. I will still admire G4 ever after it has ended not only because it was just that good (and because of the lore and world it had created. all that level of detail hat Hasbro may never attempt again in G5 if it ever comes). i dont really want to say anything about the people who do leave but i feel it was just for the community and they leave only on the virtue that it has ended and nothing else.

I say this because I do not trust the quality of Cartoons and other media that will be made in the 2020’s. Especially with all that Political correctness junk, poor writing and forced diversity “woke” nonsense that’s destroying many IPs, Games, and Shows as we speak. G5, if it ever comes, will meet the same fate.

Even if this fandom completely dies or disbands, you don’t have to follow a collective. There’s nothing wrong in going solo as a fan of something that had ended. There are still fans of shows that have ended long ago (and moreso to video-game franchises that already ended). There are still fans of old pixar movies and dead nintendo IPs (looking at you StarFox) for crying out loud. even ones that are completely standalone. many of them probably no longer join communities because they want to be on their own and doing their own thing. If there’s think you’re weird or nostalgic, dont listen to them or cave into peer pressure to forget about it and move on. Express your individuality and just do whatever the flip you want. Nothing should stop you from still making fanart or fanfiction for it. don’t be the mindless consumer like the other “fans” who follow a collective community and leave and forgets when it’s done. learn to be a fan without a fandom.

Why videogame fandoms last longer? It’s because they know they can always come back and replay it. should be the same thing for shows such as MLP. Even though it’s over, you can always come back and replay it.

this meme just hits me right at home because i too am a latecomer:  

If joining a fandom that’s nearing death or is already nearly inactive is like this, then don’t join the fandom and be an independent fan away from the flock. Be your own thing and dont follow the flock when it jumps off a cliff and dies..Be an individual, be a standalone. Show your individuality by showing that you can stand up on your own as an independent fan with the knowledge that even if you lose interest, you can always come back and revisit it.

Bottom line, As a fan, Even when a show ends and no more content is being produced, you don’t need to follow the majority and discard of it after it has concluded. You don’t have to see it as the end. It will always be there and some curious souls will stumble upon it even after it has ended. This is merely a product in the Eye’s of a Company like Hasbro. But it was a damn good one and shouldn’t be taken for granted and thrown away in the refuse. i mean, sure it’s healthy for one to shift interests after a certain amount of time, but keep it in mind that you can always revisit it. it’s not going to be erased from existence just because that Generation has ended or the toyline discontinued (I’m not interested in the damn toys at all).

I’m admittedly a casual but I just hate it when a fandom acts like this or just throws it away like trash ad forgets about it when its all over.

just stop with your tears, chill, and be happy that it happened and be content that you can always revisit it at any time.

as for EqG if it does end abruptly and will be most likely discontinued as Boulder media picking up on it. don’t let that end your fascination on that spinoff since it is technically part of and intertwined with the G4 lore and universe. alot of what i mentioned above still applies to that spinoff.
Pulse Wave
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Busy procrastinating
Word. Just had to say this.

I, too, can only shake my head at this stupid notion that with the end of a series comes the quick end of the fandom. Whoever says this must be too young to ever have been in a fandom other than for video games.

If the Star Trek fandom had ended with the show, the entire Star Trek franchise would have ended for good in 1967 along with the Trekdom. No more seasons (which were demanded by the fans, twice even), no 1980s films, no TNG and so forth because what for if there are no fans to enjoy all this?

Kim Possible and Futurama would never have been un-cancelled, had their fandoms died along with them.

What if I told you I’m a big fan of an animated show that got its very last episode almost 30 years ago? And that this show still has a fandom even though many fans in North America haven’t even had a chance to see the show for many years?

And if the Bronydom couldn’t survive MLP:FiM itself, it would have ended in spring 2011. EqD, Derpy Hooves News and Ponychan would’ve been dead by June, and there would never have been /mlp/ or a true fan music scene or conventions with 1,000+ congoers. For when season 1 ended, there was no word of another season for months to come. Believe me, there was none, I was already in the fandom back then. Eventually, Hasbro announced a second season, and the fans rejoiced because this came totally unexpected, but until then, the show was over, full stop. The Grand Galloping Gala had been seen as the grand finale for the entire series. Nonetheless, the fandom still grew (!) without new episodes in sight. Go figure.

Want to know why it still grew although the show was over? Because the fans rewatched the one season they had. And because of the fan creativity. We didn’t get new episodes, but we got new fan art and fan fiction everyday. Eventually we even got original, newly composed fan music! Studio B didn’t give us anything new, so we made our own stuff.

The same could be said about after seasons 2 and 3. The first season that was announced during an ongoing season was season 5.

Once again, as already written above: There won’t be any new episodes. But the 221 old episodes won’t go anywhere! We still have them, and you can always rewatch them. There are more ways of watching pone than on wonky livestreams and on YouTube for a couple hours after the premiere. And episodes can be watched more than once, you know. Just sit down, calm down and go through the entire show once more. Or think about which episodes you enjoyed the most and rewatch them. Or rewatch the movie if you like it. Or reread the IDW comics if you like them. And if you find nothing else, go look for fanfics, fan comics, fan animations etc.

And even if G5 comes next year and happens to suck big time — even then we still have [i]FiM[/i], and nobody can take it away from us, and we can still be fans of it. Just like most Trekkers are still big TOS fans (TOS ended 50 years ago and was superseded by new generations about half a dozen times or so over).

Don’t listen to the people that are all like, “Show’s over, finale sucked and killed it for me, fandom’s gonna be gone soon anyway, I’m outta here, I’mma throw myself at the next best hype!” If they can’t be convinced that the fandom will survive, let them go, stay here with the really dedicated fans and enjoy what they create.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
What if I told you I’m a big fan of an animated show that got its very last episode almost 30 years ago? And that this show still has a fandom even though many fans in North America haven’t even had a chance to see the show for many years?

What show might that be? I can’t place any guesses?
IceKitsune
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Pre-G4 Art Archivist
I completely agree with your post OP. This is like a longer version of what I’ve said quite a few times myself. I have been in so many fandoms over the years and they never just completely end because the show does. At worst the hibernate.

@Wiimeiser  
My guess would be Chip and Dale’s Rescue Rangers or the original Ducktales. There is also Alvin and the Chipmunks and Sonic SATAM perhaps. About 30 years ago is quite a big gap in time and a lot of big named 80s and early 90s shows ended around that time.
Summersong
Duck - Hates bronies, but is one. Go figure.
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

aka Summersong
Anyone who thinks ponies are dead immediately because the show ended was never really a fan… they were ready to bounce as soon as they weren’t being catered to anymore >_>

Look at stuff like Thundercats, which hasn’t been a big deal for 30 years. There’s still a fandom for that.

There’s a fandom for Rocky Horror Picture Show, a single movie that came out once one time, not even a series.

At least stick around to see what fans are able to make now that no new canon is coming out to confuse us!
Mildgyth
Best Pink Pony - For being the first person to reach 50k uploads, managing the site's featured images, and countless other contributions to the site.
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta
Word. Just had to say this.
I, too, can only shake my head at this stupid notion that with the end of a series comes the quick end of the fandom. Whoever says this must be too young to ever have been in a fandom other than for video games.
If the Star Trek fandom had ended with the show, the entire Star Trek franchise would have ended for good in 1967 along with the Trekdom. No more seasons (which were demanded by the fans, twice even), no 1980s films, no TNG and so forth because what for if there are no fans to enjoy all this?
Kim Possible and Futurama would never have been un-cancelled, had their fandoms died along with them.
And if the Bronydom couldn’t survive MLP:FiM itself, it would have ended in spring 2011. EqD, Derpy Hooves News and Ponychan would’ve been dead by June, and there would never have been /mlp/ or a true fan music scene or conventions with 1,000+ congoers. For when season 1 ended, there was no word of another season for months to come. Believe me, there was none, I was already in the fandom back then. Eventually, Hasbro announced a second season, and the fans rejoiced because this came totally unexpected, but until then, the show was over, full stop. The Grand Galloping Gala had been seen as the grand finale for the entire series. Nonetheless, the fandom still grew (!) without new episodes in sight. Go figure.
Want to know why it still grew although the show was over? Because the fans rewatched the one season they had. And because of the fan creativity. We didn’t get new episodes, but we got new fan art and fan fiction everyday. Eventually we even got original, newly composed fan music! Studio B didn’t give us anything new, so we made our own stuff.
The same could be said about after seasons 2 and 3. The first season that was announced during an ongoing season was season 5.
Once again, as already written above: There won’t be any new episodes. But the 221 old episodes won’t go anywhere! We still have them, and you can always rewatch them. There are more ways of watching pone than on wonky livestreams and on YouTube for a couple hours after the premiere. And episodes can be watched more than once, you know. Just sit down, calm down and go through the entire show once more. Or think about which episodes you enjoyed the most and rewatch them. Or rewatch the movie if you like it. Or reread the IDW comics if you like them. And if you find nothing else, go look for fanfics, fan comics, fan animations etc.
And even if G5 comes next year and happens to suck big time — even then we still have [i]FiM[/i], and nobody can take it away from us, and we can still be fans of it. Just like most Trekkers are still big TOS fans (TOS ended 50 years ago and was superseded by new generations about half a dozen times or so over).
Don’t listen to the people that are all like, “Show’s over, finale sucked and killed it for me, fandom’s gonna be gone soon anyway, I’m outta here, I’mma throw myself at the next best hype!” If they can’t be convinced that the fandom will survive, let them go, stay here with the really dedicated fans and enjoy what they create.
IceKitsune
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Pre-G4 Art Archivist
You know thinking about this a bit more I have to say I have a feeling that a lot of the people truly panicking about the end of the show, and how they Fandom will fall apart, are people for who this is their first fandom that they got this involved in. I wonder how many are actually part of the target demographic from when the show started. They would be in their late teens early 20s by now so it could be.

Look the fandom will be fine. We have 222 episodes, 2 specials, a movie, a spin off series and 80+ comics and counting worth of material to pull from. Plenty of series still have large fan bases with far, far less to work with. There are still fan bases for shows from the 80s, the 70s, the 60s, the 50s etc. And it isn’t all older people either.

MASH still has a huge fan base, Top Cat still has a fan base (and I’m part of it I love that show), heck other Hanna-Barbera Cartoons still have fan bases. Heroes a show that got completely screwed by a writers strike still got a revival mini series a whole 5 years later after it was canceled. I could go on and on about this. We will be fine.
Pulse Wave
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Busy procrastinating
What show might that be? I can’t place any guesses?
@Wiimeiser
My guess would be Chip and Dale’s Rescue Rangers or the original Ducktales. There is also Alvin and the Chipmunks and Sonic SATAM perhaps. About 30 years ago is quite a big gap in time and a lot of big named 80s and early 90s shows ended around that time.

It’s indeed Chip ’n Dale Rescue Rangers. Had a direct-to-TV movie (that was later cut into the five-part pilot) in 1988, the show premiered from 1989 to 1990 and was kicked from syndication by The-Bobcat-that-shall-not-be-named in September, 1993. This means that the show vanished from North American free TV before the World-Wide Web was introduced. And the last new episode aired some three years before the Usenet (where what little online fandom there was happened) became accessible outside colleges and universities.

Apart from a fan-made episode script that was actually sent to Disney but rejected in 1990, the first CDRR fanfic was written from 1993 to 1995 and published in 1996.

The first fansites appeared in 1995, and the CDRR fandom got its first own forum on February 6th, 1998. It was then that the fandom really took off, not with the show but with fanfic and what fanart was possible back then as its fuel.

@Tirimsil  
Anyone who thinks ponies are dead immediately because the show ended was never really a fan… they were ready to bounce as soon as they weren’t being catered to anymore >_>

Almost as bad as those who had only latched onto a hype just to jump bandwagons when Five Nights at Freddy’s/Steven Universe/Overwatch/… became the next hottest thing.

Look at stuff like Thundercats, which hasn’t been a big deal for 30 years. There’s still a fandom for that.

By the way, there’s a CDRR/Thundercats crossover out there that was of course written quite a while after both shows had ended. May cause liquid pride.

At least stick around to see what fans are able to make now that no new canon is coming out to confuse us!

That’s another point: No canon will ever Joss our fanfics anymore, especially since everyone is so eager to reject the S10 comics as canon.

@IceKitsune  
You know thinking about this a bit more I have to say I have a feeling that a lot of the people truly panicking about the end of the show, and how they Fandom will fall apart, are people for who this is their first fandom that they got this involved in.

At least their first fandom of any kind of series. Or their first fandom of anything that isn’t a video game.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide