A common thread I found when people talk about bad episodes

Psyga315
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - We Are Our Avatars
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The Fallen Brony
“It’s mean spirited”

It’s a complaint I ran across a couple of times when I listened to peoples’ lists of worst MLP episodes. I also noticed, though it’s something I noticed for one list, whenever someone talks about their most “hated” episode, it’s usually the second season (the Jerk Season as I call it) that contains the episode.

So it led me to thinking. If the ponies aren’t dicks, would it make better episodes? Is there an example of ponies being dicks, yet it didn’t make the episode downright bad? Is this a weird topic to be talking about?
Trickquestion

It’s not that ponies can’t be jerks, it’s the main characters that shouldn’t be jerks, at least not in a way that’s being treated for comedy. They are supposed to be the embodiments of friendship, so when they’re suddenly callous assholes for the sake of a joke, it’s both unfunny and completely at odds with the entire premise of the show. It’s why Rainbow was such an awful character up until season 3 showed us she’s capable of not being an asshole for an extended period of time.
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.

Arch-Rarifag
@Trickquestion  
The ponies being jerks is a factor in many eps though.  
Sonic Rainboom with Rarity, Suited with everyone but Rarity.

It’s more how much the audience understands the reason behind the jerkishmess and it is paired with some catharsis.

And I would argue that Rarity has it worse in the asshole for the sake of the joke department
Trickquestion

@Whatevs  
Like I said, temporary protagonist jerkery is good if they use it as a way for the character to overcomes a moral failing and learn a lesson, but using it as comedy is when it falls flat for me.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
Stop letting Merriwether Williams write episodes that aren’t either the ponies playing roles or parodies of films and this issue will be lessened.

Seriously, every single other writer gets that ponies aren’t assholes all of the time.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Itsthinking

Seconded. Although the other writers a guilty of this sin, Williams is especially guilty of it. From my perspective, it seems to be the only way she knows how to create conflict within a given episode.
ender1200
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

From what i have seen different people dislike episodes for different reasons.  
The show have several strong areas and different fans are attracted to different areas. This means that when an episode slips in one such area people who like the show for it become disappointed.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
Funnily enough in hindsight Merriweather Williams’ episodes aren’t as bad when taken together with the rest of FiM. If anything, she had more hits than misses in the end.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide