What do we do about DNP takedowns?

Site and Policy » What do we do about DNP takedowns? Search Posts
Background Pony #9CD9
We have a huge problem here:

Whatever decision the site staff makes, there will be artists requesting DNP.

Whether it would be listening to anti-nazi people, or listening to anti-censorship people,  
or maybe listening to anti-communism people, etc.

It’s simply because there are groups of people with radically different opinions.

So, no matter what the staff does, we’ll have DNP takedowns of OUR favorite arts!

Majority of Derpibooru’s userbase are just people who enjoy pony arts. Not the artists!

I personally have a lot of art favorited on this site. It’s been my main art archive.

But I’ll be forced to leave this site and find an alternative, if art will begin to disappear from my favorites!

And I really don’t want that to happen :(
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
Just wait a few days for dust to settle, there’s a lot of emotional talking going on right now.

Also start saving your favorites, I guess. Never leave something you like on the Internet.
ThrashStrings

This is the main issue. Just because of one person’s butthurt, we have a problem that never existed and has generally killed Derpibooru as we know it; no matter what decision will be taken in the end, some artists will DNP their artwork from this archive. Ultimately we just lost the only site that had the potential (since not all pony art ever made has been posted here) to be the ultimate pony fanart archive. Again, all is lost due to one person’s butthurt. I’m just fucking pissed at home selfish humanity is sometimes.
Background Pony #FA1E
I wonder if they will submit DNP on e621 too or just have double standards:  
full

@Braeburned  
Submitted a DNP request, including a request to remove all of my artwork (except a post linking to an archive).
paradox of intolerance, baby. goodbye.

full
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
The vast majority of the artists who would care have already requested their DNPs, they just take an extremely long time to process because manual. Save whatever you can.

What’ll most likely happen is that almost all artists that went for the Anti-Nazi Pledge will be gone off the site, and if the staff position holds (currently at “for fuck’s sake, NO censorship”), almost, if not all, artists who subscribed to the Anti-Censorship Pledge will come back.  
You can probably observe the extremely rough list of artists who aren’t coming back but haven’t had the takedown kick in yet over at black lives matter.

Why I’ve said they’re not coming back and only mentioned staff position afterwards? Because most of them don’t actually care about Derpibooru, being Twitter artists from the roughly same “community” and hence won’t be affected by the staff decisions. There are like two who actually cared about removing NSDAP and related things only, not anything THEY designate as nazis; additionally, said “community” threw a massive tantrum the moment Parasprite posted about deleting censorship, immediately flooding the site with aforementioned complete takedowns, insulting everyone on the site and the opposition to their basic bullying specifically, trying to organize a takedown of Derpi patreon through reports, and even attempting to issue GDPR claims against Philomena.  
Yes. They’re not aware that that’s not how GDPR works and that attempting to take down an entire site, which is very visibly not filled with nazis even to most cursory of glances, out of pure spite will NOT give them any brownie points with anyone who hasn’t drunk the kool-aid.
d1ckbitch
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@Barhandar  
Oh wow, what a sh*tshow. I wasn’t aware of the details.

Something’s bugging me, though… Why did the artists decided to DNP themselves only now? I mean… the blond and white Mare of Discord has been around since, like, years
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

(twi|pony)booru.org
@d1ckbitch  
Because whoareyouanyway has only went to Atlantic/otherwise rabble-roused to get twittermites to notice ~nazis on Derpibooru~ now, instead of years ago. Then said twittermites began slandering (does Twitter count as print? if yes then it’s libel) Derpi all over, causing furries/literally whos to DNP brigade, and the I hope to god all bronies who support nazi ideologies get their fucking heads kicked in goblins to come out of the woodwork.

P.S. No, he doesn’t see the elephant of irony in “I WANT PEOPLE VIOLENTLY MURDERED, HOW CAN THEY SUPPORT HATEFUL IDEOLOGY WHILE WATCHING SUCH A SHOW”. None of them seemingly do.
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@Barhandar  
Oh, right, this Atlantic article. As they oriented the Twitter Finger of Death toward us, I wonder if this could be considered as a brigading manoeuver against the site… and if the right answer is really to cave in to their demands. Twitter has not a very long-term memory, I hope DB administration will wait a bit instead of taking emergency decisions in the middle of the fire
Background Pony #22B7
I hate that there are such radical idiots on both sides.  
By deleting their stuff from Derpibooru they don’t actually hurt the mods or the admins or staff in general… it’s a nonprofit, it’s not like they need Derpibooru to survive.  
Artists with DNPs are only hurting their fans and audience and I don’t see how that benefits anyone
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
@d1ckbitch  
You’re a bit late on “emergency decisions in the middle of the fire”, lol.

There’s been five days of peaceful anti-censorship discussion, culminating in no censorship, for fuck’s sake.  
The clout goblins did not like it, to say the least, and IMMEDIATELY THREW A MASSIVE SHITFIT (described two posts ago), so seven hours seven minutes later ALL THE CENSORSHIP post went up.

Predictably, this did not garner positive reaction from the twittermites, because they’re interested in things THEY designate being banned, not everything (and also have already left the site). Just as predictably, it did not garner positive reaction from the users either, who just spent five days discussing their stance just to have one gingered up admin destroy it all after few hours of tantruming not-a-site-user-anymores, to MASSIVE opposition from the rest of the staff and while claiming this decision was discussed with “administrators” (at that moment, TSP has resigned, Carcer is basically a statue, and it was not discussed with Parasprite) and “professionals” (???).  
In the process of assembling a bonfire for “Blossomforth”, one of the assistants came out with admission slash whistleblowing, describing how the staff have been not just shadowbanning people downvoting the BLM propaganda, but throttling “select users, that is, 2 (two) unrepentant ban-evaders”’s site usage and being instructed to lie about this, among other things (note that there are a lot more than two reports of being affected by mysterious slowdowns at the time). This immediately turned the bonfire into a conflagration.  
Said conflagration, along with Parasprite coming online, have finally reached “Blossomforth”‘s senses, causing him to wordswordswords on Derpi Discord server and agree to fucking defer to Parasprite-who-outranks-him already.

And that’s about where we are right now.
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@Barhandar  
Oh wow, I missed like 9/10 of that. Thanks for the recap.

Bringing so much things down for pleasing a few loud individuals, what a time we’re living in…
d1ckbitch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Doughnuts Worshipper
@Background Pony #05AC

@kickash13

What makes me afraid the most in the said times is, neutral ground doesn’t exist anymore (c.f Valve and their lack of reaction about the current social context and all the sh*t they had about it)

It’s a bit like… the only way to calm the Masses is to throw something at them that will satisfy them. As if they aren’t going to ask a little bit more for the next time. And a bit more. And more.

Aryanne may disappear this time, but next time it will be something else, who knows
ShouldBeDrawing
Artist -

Being in a server with a lot of the artists in the anti-censorship pledge, they are for the most part waiting for absolute confirmation on the reversal of things and trust to be regained to undo their DNP. A few have decided to keep up the DNP, some just because “Ill just post the art myself” and some permanently will not post for trust loss reasons.
Background Pony #22B7
@ShouldBeDrawing  
Can you point this out to them please?

@Background Pony #22B7  
I hate that there are such radical idiots on both sides.
By deleting their stuff from Derpibooru they don’t actually hurt the mods or the admins or staff in general… it’s a nonprofit, it’s not like they need Derpibooru to survive.
Artists with DNPs are only hurting their fans and audience and I don’t see how that benefits anyone

Just maybe without insults, that’s probably not helping the cause ^ - ^’
ShouldBeDrawing
Artist -

@Background Pony #22B7  
We know this. However it was a legitimate form of protest that got the point across, and once everything has gone back to normalcy expect things to be reversed for the most part. Until then just be patient. ALL their art is still there, none of us pulled the art off the site. You’ll just have to wait a few more days to get new uploads.
ShouldBeDrawing
Artist -

We are just being extra cautious moving forward to see what will happen next. We WERE aboot to undo the DNP stuff but then the blossomforth post happened and that really conflicted things for us.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide