The philomena text editor looses its content too easily

loxaxs

So I was just done writing my lengthy topic introduction post and clicked on “Preview” to have a look, and I only had to add a missing final period and post it, but I mistakenly clicked on my browser’s “Previous” button instead of clicking on “Create a Topic”, and – sadly – this time around I didn’t have a copy of the post in my clipboard, and now I’m very sad. ;n; ;n; ;n; ;n; ;n; ;n; ;n;

…and I believe that I’m not the first in this case

…and I note the following:

• (A) If the editor had created any kind of save of my message before (or when) I hit previous (or close the tab), provided that I can access this save, I would not be sad.  
  • (B) If hitting “previous” allowed to navigate between the Preview tab and the Create a Topic tab, instead of just bringing back to the topic list each time, I would not be sad.  
  • (C) If the page warned us and asked us to confirm that we want to discard the content, I would not be sad.  
  • (D) If the tab to edit the text was not named “Create a topic” but “Edit”, I would not be sad.  
  • (E) The Derpibooru editor is unique, it does not follow a common convention (like markdown), so using an external editor means missing on the rich text support provided by the editor (for spoilers, code, links, images, etc.).

So I’m doing four feature requests (A, B, C and D). Ideally, the four of them would be fullfiled (though (B) seems like a bad idea if any of the two others is implemented). To make things clear about (D), I believe the text “Create a Topic” should be displayed, but above the editor, or to the left of the editor tabs. In no case as the editor tab.

…and I hope that I’m (among) the lasts to experience this.

Thank you Derpibooru developers!

(should I post this on https://github.com/derpibooru/philomena/issues ?)

Fun fact: I did misclick in the page while writing this post too, ending up in some other page. Good thing that I was paranoidly doing copies of my post for every few lines I wrote.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
  • (E) The Derpibooru editor is unique, it does not follow a common convention (like markdown), so using an external editor means missing on the rich text support provided by the editor (for spoilers, code, links, images, etc.).

You can input that manually. Also, you need to provide the browser - mine does save the input on navigation, and even on closing and reopening the tab.
Cloppershy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Pone Addict
The input field is just a standard <textarea>, Philomena does nothing special with it. It’s the job of the browser to save the input on navigation.  
One of those “Are you sure you want to leave the site?” messages could certainly added when the input field isn’t empty, and I don’t see any immediate downside to it.
Cloppershy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Pone Addict
@Barhandar  
But it would only show when you try to leave the page while the input field is not empty. Maybe there should be an additional check that the input field contains more than just a reply or quote, so that it doesn’t appear when you just clicked the reply or quote button.  
But if you already started typing, asking for confirmation shouldn’t be much of a problem.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide