The Anti-Censorship DNP Pledge

Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Background Pony #666F  
Thanks, Satan.

While he’s a baiter, there’s a grain of truth. The idiotically small character limit is but a part of the automatic extremist generator machine that is Twitter. Feed-control, autosuggestions of similar content (=views), and ability to discard anyone from view in a few clicks are the rest.

You can’t express long thoughts on it, can’t explain yourself in detail, and short explanations miss things. Autosuggestions of similar content and easy blocking mean creation of echo chambers - as it’s easy to find other people espousing similar views and eventually align with them, and easy to think some view is innocent, fail to notice that it’s actually hateful and so are the people espousing it, and get too entangled it that specific echo chamber. And feedshuffle is plain bullshit.
LemonDrop
Duckinator - Same nonsensical quacks in every pond
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

C++ Crazed
@team blueplant  
Yes, I think humans are naturally evil and cannot be expected to do anything right. Plus in the real world pure anarchy is impossible anyways. Humans naturally form hierarchical structures so you’re better off trying to form a good one people are happy with rather than being CHAZ and pretending you can re-invent civilization good-er than everyone else.

Anyways I have some ideas for potentially how to make pone image sharing more free based on the things I described but doubt it’d actually get to anything practical, we’ll see tho.
LemonDrop
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

C++ Crazed
@Barhandar  
Really the most annoying thing about sites like that which bother me is kind just the algorithm based stuff you mentioned. On an image board like Derpi or anything else really usually the searching is very specific, your watchlist is very exactly the images tagged with things that are uploaded, etc. There’s no bullshit algorithm influencing how you view content and trying to bias it in one direction. It’s just really amusing, like on Twitter replies I’ll see a bunch of typical nonsense, and then at the very bottom under like “Show other replies” you’ll find all the sane people. It’s all just very evil and oriented around control of perception and information presentation, so fuck ever using a site like that for anything.
Background Pony #A8BB
@Background Pony #5E0F  
It’s the Kali Yuga or, if you prefer, the Mouse Utopia Experiment. Humanity has made more achievements than ever but we’ve become consumed by our hubris and think we can establish heaven on earth, so obsessed with that goal that we forget the basics. That’s my take on it, anyway.

@LemonDrop  
I’m a fan of anarchy but I believe it’s only possible with a clear set of rules, with non-aggression among one another paramount. People you see pushing for anarchy on the streets tend to have a completely set of ideals, though. That’s enough politics out of me.

In terms of website design 4Chan was originally more-or-less minarchist. When admins exercise their power with great restraint you don’t typically see policy whiplash. It’s why 2b2t has been such a long-lasting server.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Background Pony #666F  
Attention is a psychological need for overwhelming majority of people, and if that need is corrupted into an addiction (by shitty parents or by abusers, including Twitter itself), well…

to explain how it’s the “righteous” thing to do
It’s pure schadenfreude on how they feel morally justified to lump everyone here - blacks, whites, native americans, men, women, cis and queer, people of all walks of life - into one monolithic label of “nazi”.

@Background Pony #A8BB  
I’m a fan of anarchy but I believe it’s only possible with a clear set of rules
Anarchy by definition is absence of (enforcement of) rules, to a differing extent depending on what’s mixed into it. While I don’t know appropriate word for “a set of rules that doesn’t fit any of the current cookie-cutter ideologies”, I don’t think “anarchy” is it.
LemonDrop
Non-Fungible Trixie -

C++ Crazed
@Background Pony #A8BB  
That does work for some things, but really I do not want an image board’s content to look like what goes on in 2b2t lol. It might work for a video game like that where things don’t really matter and it’s just done for fun but it’s just tricky to find a system which allows some kind of regulation of what is uploaded (to prevent malicious people from just uploading a bunch of CP or spamming the site with off topic stuff) but also not letting that power go out of control to end up like the situation we have right now.

That is why I think decentralized stuff is the way to go, it’s not necessarily without authority but rather the authority is not in one place. You could say this is kinda the case with Derpi already given people can just make their own instances of the site now which is true to some degree, but that is more like an IRC-style full decentralization which is a bit not-ideal for a single community to be part of due to how it disconnects everyone between those platforms. Something more like Mastodon where it’s like IRC and people run their own instances but with some unifying ability to communicate between those platforms without as much pain (which is more what they call a federated network) I think would work better in this case, but who knows.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Infinite Winter  
Not any more than they’ve cancelled Derpibooru. The real cost isn’t getting cancelled, it’s being ostracized. If you’re in that crowd, you’re heavily socially engaged with them and like any competent cult, they try to remove your ties to everyone outside it.  
So standing against the bullshit means you end up with no social support. And not many people are lucky enough to either keep friends that didn’t drink the kool-aid (for obvious reasons) or immediately happen upon a good support network; most are either not strong enough to tear away, or fall into different brand of the same cultish bullshit - because society at large is dicks and doesn’t support people for being people.
Background Pony #A8BB
@Infinite Winter  
Have you ever read The Screwtape Letters? In that book if a devil doesn’t successfully corrupt a man he is consumed instead. With all this talk about Twitter being hellish in character, and how even those on the same side look for opportunities against each other, that comes to mind.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@LemonDrop  
The problem with what we have now is how many of these mods have been in power since day one? They have no worry of being eventually fired, so that’s come to a head.

This is something I’ve seen before. Mods got really up their own asses since they had no worry of being “dethroned” Some of them barely showed up at all anymore but when they did, they became power mad and banned anyone that got them a wee pit testy just so they could flex. Some even antagonized, just so they could.

Most of the people I knew from that group all left because the mods became toxic, and certain people were granted immunity for being “Special” Most of those group barely irk out double digits now.
LemonDrop
Non-Fungible Trixie -

C++ Crazed
@Background Pony #666F  
Well yeah that’s what a lot of these pro-censorship Twitter goons are doing. They are like oh yeah I made a Derpi account 6 years ago that means I can DNP my like 4 pieces of art and complain about it yay I am so virtuous. In general they are people who really have had no investment in this site and its future because if they did they’d have taken issue to this stuff long ago. People like that imo should not be dictating how this site is run, which is why I feel like even someone like Braeburned who has a lot of nice pony content should not have their voice taken too seriously given they practically have left the pony scene in favor of furry stuff and rarely use the site anymore. To them they can just trash this site into oblivion as part of their campaign for social justice without any worry for what the consequences will be for those actually using it still because they left long ago and don’t give a shit. It’d be like letting Russians run the internal policy of the United States, pretty stupid if you ask me.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
@LemonDrop  
But hey, it’s so ~virtuous~ and ~progressive~ and the communities on twitter and discord (which DO NOT FUCKING USE DERPIBOORU) are so nice and the head-staff agree with those and haven’t been on Derpi in forever!

Fucking SOMETHING MUCH DIFFERENT-ers.
literallywho?
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

@LemonDrop  
it is kind of ironic that suddenly a lot of artist or people have barely or never seen around the site suddenly pop up like mushrooms acting like a big figure

specially when the site has been hosting nazi-themed imagery for years but now its a problem and now they try to take action
CottonTales
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Ruler of Sheep
@team blueplant  
Its more like attention was called to it and they were probably nagged to pick a side.  
If the question is posed as ‘hey do you think there should be Nazi imagery on your site’ then lots of people are going to auto to no  
the question is disingenuous in nature and leans towards a certain answer for most people but accurate enough that you can’t immediately tell the problem aside from ‘you should expand on it’ but by the time the question is asked it’s already too late. If you expand on it afterwards people have already chosen an answer and you’re no longer arguing your point from a neutral stance to most of them
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
Jeez. Ya leave for a couple hours and almost three pages sprout up. So, I have a few questions for everyone.  
  1. How can we better facilitate communication between mods and users?  
  2. What decisions should be left to users, mods or admins?  
  3. Who and how should mods be chosen?  
  4. Should mod status be revoked and if so when?  
  5. How much participation can reasonably be expected of a mod?
LemonDrop
Non-Fungible Trixie -

C++ Crazed
@Brass Beau  
Clearly we just need mod election polls. Sounds a bit silly but that is unironically how sites like Stack Overflow elect their community moderation. In general I think that site handles things quite well, things like reputation systems giving various site permissions (like ability to vote/comment on things) and reputation being earned by actually contributing to the site in a positive way. Tis not a thing you see on many other sites.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thread completely derailed