The Anti-Censorship DNP Pledge

Background Pony #6C09
@Zajice  
I think the people who said that have stated that their trust in the administration has been fundamentally broken, which in my personal opinion is understandable. If the admins are willing to do this in the first place, who’s to say they’re not gonna do it again later? Or who’s to say they’re not gonna try to “boil the frog”, as has been mentioned above? The argument here is that the admins have demonstrated they’re not fit to administrate this community. Hence for instance Barhandar’s stance that they must resign, in order for trust in the site to be restored.

Not everyone might go so far as to call for resignation, but that doesn’t mean that everyone else is happy to just overlook everything and instantly go back to as if things had never happened should the change be reversed. It’s more than just about the words on the rules page; it’s about the attitude and actions of the administration team. Which can be interpreted as, “Alright, we know we caved to some inflammatory tabloid article and started implementing censorship as a knee-jerk reaction without even bothering to plan out or own censoring policies, and directly against the wishes of a portion of the mod team without consulting them, and then completely failed to communicate and doubled down in the face of criticism while implementing blatant double standards - but it’s ok, because when we saw dozens of artists filing DNPs, including some of the biggest names nowadays, we got scared and reverted the change, so it’s all good now and you can trust us again! Right?”

That’s my interpretation at least - of course I’m not an artist and I don’t speak for anyone.
Background Pony #7C5E
@Zajice  
@Boxless  
Reminder that they tried to remove downvotes a while back, and that the BLM policy and its associated votebans / forced filtering will more than likely stay or even be extended to arryanne / nazis as some sort of twisted ‘compromise’.  
Same song different chorus.  
The fact two admins have essentially gone into hiding over this whole thing speaks volumes.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Background Pony #6C09  
Basically this. Which is also why I’ve said that it’d take years of not pulling this shit for my full trust in the staff to be restored.  
Note that I have explicitly said that rules need to be restored to pre-BLM stance, specifically, removal of the unwritten rule that negative depictions of BLM/ACAB will be removed. It did not start with censoring the nazis, it started with censoring the detractors.

Honestly there’s about equal chance of this being done after Atlantic article being caused by it (i.e. it was not planned to enact censorship, the head-staff just saw the article and felt the need to virtue signal to not be targetted by the mob), and of it being planned ahead of time and the article just forcing their hand/being a convenient opportunity.

@Background Pony #7C5E  
Note that one of said admins has publicly equated BLM the organization and BLM the term, which is dishonest even before you take the ideology in question into account, while the other is responsible for picking a programming language that is scarcely used and not normally practiced by the rest of staff for the site recode (Elixir), which btw STILL hadn’t restored many features of previous framework and my personal experience is that it’s not even any faster.
Datte-Before-Dawn
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Lady's Wink -
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Made a piece of artwork loved by 1000 users
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo

Undesirable
@Zajice  
Yeah, it’s good to give any potential futures a chance if they do end up giving a total reversal, and even more so if they put forth positive anti-censorship regulations that would ensure that things like this wouldn’t happen in the future.

Considering how many moderators were against the change in the first place, let alone didn’t even know about the changes until it happened, having all of their opinions count before making a massive change like this would be a good step. The power to enact such sweeping measures shouldn’t be in the hands of like 2-3 people alone.

If I were to be super idealistic, I might even suggest an actual sitewide vote on big stuff, but the logistics of that would be hard to think about

@Background Pony #6C09  
If they DO get that totalitarian urge again, which I hope they won’t, I’d hope that overwhelming backlash will still be fresh in their minds.

It wouldn’t just be literally-whos with 4 pictures uploaded that would refuse to use their site like many pro-censorship people said it’d be. And even if it were, that’s a hell of a lot of “literally-whos”.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Datte-Before-Dawn  
Unless they just deem anyone who DNPed over censorship a “fascist” or a “nazi” and hence feel justified in ignoring negative feedback (and not just plainly fail to address it, as is currently the case). But that’s approaching conspiracist territory.
Datte-Before-Dawn
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Lady's Wink -
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Made a piece of artwork loved by 1000 users
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo

Undesirable
To be clear tho, I personally won’t accept anything less than a total reversal on the “no cute drawings of Aryanne because they trivialize Nazism” ban as a stepping-off point,

I’m not interested in merely including downvoting Aryanne in the shadowbanning algorithm by itself and then being told that’s all the changes are.gonna be to that rule (though it’s got merit if used in conjunction with a reversal, imo).

Not that what I want matters much in the big picture or that we as a userbase hold much negotiation power, but that’s just me.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Datte-Before-Dawn  
I oppose shadowbanning algorithm on principle. Matters of moderation must be NEVER left to automatic systems, that just breeds errors, exploitation, and complacency. Look at Youtube for what relying on automatic (shadow)bans/content control ends up in.

Additionally these matters must be announced to the affected user; ESPECIALLY since they’re eminently ideologically motivated, and I personally would like an objective justification for how existing features are no longer capable of handing mass-downvoting of a certain tag, given that shadowbanning mechanism wasn’t required for entirety of site’s existence despite plenty of mass-downvoting, until people have started to mass-downvote specifically BLM/ACAB propaganda.
Background Pony #5E45
@Barhandar  
To repeat a point I made, I downvoted like two inflammatory pics by a very specific artist (and upvoted multiple others in the same vein, but presented much more fairly) and got shadowbanned lol

And yes. No notification.
Background Pony #FDF9
@dissociativity  
Which is exactly why the idea that people downvoting images of left wing politics or drawing a racist pony will lead to the fandom being taken over by literal Nazis is completely insane.
Background Pony #794D
All these threats of “the mods better blow me personally or else THEY WILL NOT REGAIN MY TRUST” are hilarious.

Look, we all know there’s nothing they can do to win back people that never read xkcd #1357. Please, for the love of god, either shit or get off the pot. This is obviously a political divide and I’m all for letting mlpol shitposters with delusions of grandeur ship off to some right wing booru. Have fun.

Yall gonna be in this thread next year still making threats to leave the site lol.
Ryperiour2

Censorship regardless of which side it comes from is gay and cringe. People on twitter (especially after the tumblr nsfw ban) and the majority of “journalists” should not be taken seriously or even listed to in regards to site matters. They are not your user base (or the majority of it) and never will be.
Background Pony #E2DB
Thanks for all artists for speaking up.

@Barhandar  
Hmm, on one hand, it made it open source, which opens possibility of alternatives with same functionality. On other hand, you’re right, this is completely solo project, and stayed as solo project even after all those months, which is not a good thing, despite of all the bragging.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thread completely derailed