The Anti-Censorship DNP Pledge

Latecomer

Is there any particualr way to tell by looking at someone’s appearance on this forum their presented gender, let alone if they’re cis or trans?
mid_day_dreamer

Undesirable
Is there any particualr way to tell by looking at someone’s appearance on this forum their presented gender, let alone if they’re cis or trans?

I just use “he” as the default because of the age old adage, “there are no women on the internet”
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@mid_day_dreamer
and if everything else fails you can just use “they” or “it”

Would be a first that someone actually prefers “it”… and “they” i outright refuse as its just way to confusing term to refer to a single person as a “they”. Sounds more like the olden times when kings had god on their side, so they spoke of themselves in plural.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Seiken  
“It” is a gender neutral third person singular but, seeing as it’s offensive (from what I’ve been told) I generally go with avatar gender. Imperfect, but it has worked for me, so far.
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@Brass Beau  
Robots are often refered as “it”.  
Are you telling me that being refered “like a robot” is offensive?  
Considering that ai are getting more and more advanced, then it can be soon VERY PROBLEMATIC XD  
“Robot rights” campaigns will soon be a reality XD
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@LightningBolt  
there have been cases in literature where they was used for singular and probably it was partly used like that in the distant past. But in current modern day… re-introducing “they” to refer to a single person seems just nonsense to me when almost everyone used they in the plural for ages.

I much rather would like it if instead of confusing people, the lgbt community would come up with a new pronoun.
FrankFronk

Gunslinger Birb
@Background Pony #D257
And maybe you’re better at coping with it because that’s your job.
I’m just saying you gotta cut staff a little slack here. They’re just people dealing with a ton of screeching babies, and rational arguments as well.

When you open a can of worms, you better be ready to deal with what’s inside. Otherwise you shouldn’t open it.

Not to mention this site is supported by the community, whom they didn’t bother consulting to test the waters beforehand.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Seiken  
You just get otherkin/chakats with their xes that way.

Honestly just go the way of Orion’s Arm, the setting has went so far beyond notions of “biological sex” they’ve just dropped the part before the “e”. That is, the words to refer to someone in there are “e”, “ey”, “em” and “eir”.
Background Pony #7C5E
and even more than that it’s largely related to what is essentially a temporary issue (the current state of the site) and not something they specifically did wrong.

Disregarding all subjective language and my own personal opinion that he just poured gasolene onto a smouldering fire, he was still telling people incorrect info.  
Every other mod that has been talking publicly has said “We dont know what the rules are yet, please be patient while we sort it out.  
And then there he was, arguably the most important person in this mess, saying that blossomforths post was policy despite seeing and actively participating in the rather large amount of…feedback that post caused and having direct lines of communication with the staff.  
The onus is on him to be certain of his info before communicating it, not saying what ever he thinks will stick.  
I get that he’s a friend and team member, but he 100% did wrong here.
FrankFronk

Gunslinger Birb
@LightningBolt
there have been cases in literature where they was used for singular and probably it was partly used like that in the distant past. But in current modern day… re-introducing “they” to refer to a single person seems just nonsense to me when almost everyone used they in the plural for ages.
I much rather would like it if instead of confusing people, the lgbt community would come up with a new pronoun.

On the contrary, they is used singularly all the time in modern language. Less often in text, but fairly often in the spoken language. An example of particular note is “‘em”, an informal contraction of ‘them’ very often heard in southern dialects. They is still the choice term for someone who’s gender is unknown in both literature and the spoken word. It’s inoffensive, and conveys that a proper gender is not yet known by a person.
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.

@FrankFronk  
The only time I have seen people in RL using “they” when talking about singular people was when there was no information is said person is trurly singular or there are others.  
Like when single person commits terror attack, then I have seen people using “they” because they didn’t know if there were more terrorists on the site of terror attack.
FrankFronk

Gunslinger Birb
@Background Pony #7C5E  
I still say all of this could be avoided if they make the mod channels publicly viewable along with an audit log so the community that this is built around can see what the mods are up to so that this kind of blunder is avoidable.

Then again, all of the underhanded bs will just move to somewhere else and we’ll be right back where we started I suppose.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Armagedonus  
Using third-person plural pronouns when referring to a group of unknown size doesn’t sound that strange when I think about it. Still feels off, though. Curse you English and your history of borrowed words and inconsistencies!
FrankFronk

Gunslinger Birb
@Armagedonus  
Im just saying it’s the choice ‘pronoun’ for a singular individual of whom a gender is unknown, as ‘it’ isn’t used for obvious reasons. It’s mostly used in informal language. In professional settings, if a gender isn’t known, a name usually is, so instead of using a pronoun, a name is used instead anyways.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@FrankFronk  
Perhaps an opt-in feature could be implemented to allow community members to review reported comments and the like. If enough community members deem something as violating community guidelines, then the offending post could be removed. It could alleviate moderator workload and limit the effects of bias. While not perfect or an elegant solution, it could help build trust and better reflect the will of the community.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thread completely derailed