Tag dictionary

The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@saby  
It doesn’t matter. We already tried using “effeminate male”, it didn’t go well at all.

I’m considering any other posts about this topic to be a derail and will be moderating them as such; it’s much too large and drama-laden to be dealt with in a “general” tag definition thread like this. If nothing else, the various hordes will want to know what posts are to blame and where to shitpost the hardest once they’re done sharpening their pitchforks in the event we ever do change anything.
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Short description: thicc
Detailed description: thicc
Those don’t seem very helpful for anyone who doesn’t already know what the word means.
Also, tautology much? :P

Agree, this tag seems pretty special too. We have enough tags to describe thicker body types, like chubby, plump, bbw, curvy, thick, we do not need another version called thicc, which sounds like a misspelled acronym.  
Not to forget all the bodypart tags, muffin top, thunder thighs, fupa, etc.  
For what do we need thicc? What does it even mean? Just the newest internet slang term nobody needs and only certain circles are using?
DragonMaus
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <DragonWraith> fish are not for sexual
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

@Forsaken  
We strongly discourage anything that could be viewed as “claiming” an oc: tag (e.g., aliases, implications, user links, etc.), as there’s a high likelihood that someone else has created or will create an OC with that same name.  
Especially names based on words you can find in a dictionary.
Background Pony #7E80
@DragonWraith
[…] I see other people making OC claims a page back?
Huh.

@GyroTech  
Tag: oc:gyro tech
Detailed Description:[…]
And there it is.

I don’t know the details of that earlier example, but personally agree with not doing anything that could be viewed as “claiming” an oc - especially as doing so means “there can only be one”, that seems like a scary door to open.

As it stands, anyone can create their own OC:Forsaken. But once we start creating aliases, implications, user links, etc, then things get more “who wins”? And I’d rather see us sharing.
Forsaken
Oatmeal - Oatmeal
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

Edgy Futa hors
@Background Pony #B50D

What about the one named “Attraction”, a very common word used?  

Also I don’t see the issue in what you call “Claiming” an OC. What if someone wanted to know who created Jasmine, or Milky way, or Buttons mom? Having a link to find that person seems pretty logical, and you guys must think so to since you have been doing it up until I wanted to link back to my own.
Zahnrad
Duck - lmao I purposefully quack
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I don’t see an issue with claiming an OC if you can prove it’s your own OC. I wouldn’t exactly call this an OC, but I remember hearing how the original creator of Tatzljack (tatzlpony applejack) no one realised he was the original creator of it.
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

The Prettiest Catbird
@Forsaken  
I think there’s also the matter of reaching a certain prominence…or at least a certain volume of images with only that horse. If you look through the top oc tags you’ll notice a fair number of the ones above 200 have a tag.
Forsaken
Oatmeal - Oatmeal
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

Edgy Futa hors
@GyroTech  
I mean, I could dump the hundred or so pics I have of her but that just ridiculous. This is just nonsensical and I give up, not worth the effort.
Background Pony #7E80
@Zahnrad  
@GyroTech  
@Forsaken

I’m not sure then how the community here should handle the case where two people claim the same OC’s name?

In the case of Gyro Tech, it’s not a dictionary word, so at least the odds of another person showing up who’s been using that with their own established original character seems unlikely. But in the case of a simple english word being used as an OC’s name, we’re getting into “Who owns that word” territory.

With show-canon characters, Hasbro owns the names (in as much as they are able), and protects their Trademarks like a mother wolf protecting its cubs. But with fanmade works, who is the arbitrator of what is, and what is not, the “only approved use” of that word for an OC’s name?

Does the length of time of use matter? Is it first come first served? Is it a question of the quality of the artists and the merit of the work? Personally, I would be very uncomfortable judging two artist’s work in that way, or having to say; “You have the better use of that word, so you win, and everyone else has to pick a new OC name”. Not least of which because it could conceivable create a first-to-claim-it-wins race for OC names, and at worse places the Depribooru community in the position of arbitrating “who wins” when two people show up with the same OC name.

Today, anyone can say that their OC’s name is what it is, and in the case that two characters have the same name then we sort out the specific use of the OC’s name by adding the artist’s name to the search.

I don’t have an answer. But I do feel like @DragonWraith’s description of the currently preferred approach has much going for it.

That said, I like your OC, @Forsaken, and I would not want you to lose the use of that name just because someone showed up who’s been using it longer, or somehow had a “better claim” (by whatever criteria that was determined).

So, for myself, I would like to see us continue share the fan created names, as much as is possible.
Background Pony #F6BF
Only problem I have is when people ‘purge’ the names of other Ocs out of the tag. :/ Happened a few times when someone outright removed the oc name tag of my friends oc who was also called Sapphire when the other Sapphire already had 300 images.
Zahnrad
Duck - lmao I purposefully quack
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@Background Pony #46B7  
Not saying I support it or do it, but most often when I see another OC called Nyx on derpibooru it’s normally something really cringey. If there was a way to seperate those things from the mainstream tag it’d be helpful.
Background Pony #F6BF
My friend said she didn’t mind . So I gave her oc a seperate tag in the end :x I probably should have but this was probably months ago
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Replaced by tagging forum