Tag Aliases - Read the first page before suggesting.

barbeque
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Thread Starter - Tag alias request thread
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

Think that two tags are essentially the same? An artist on deviantart changed their name again *sigh*? Found a tumblr ask thing that is run by just one artist, but it’s not immediately clear who that artist is? Or maybe even japanese names and their translated counterparts?  
This be the thread for it.

How to propose aliases:  
-> Always use relative (only whatever is after the .ru/.org) links to any tags mentioned that exist.  
"artist:someartist":/tags/artist-colon-someartist
artist:someartist

-> Give both tags, even if only one can be linked (put -> in between, new tag on the right, use = instead if direction is uncertain).  
"artist:someartistoldname":/tags/artist-colon-someartistoldname -\> artist:someartist
artist:someartistoldname -> artist:someartist

-> If it’s a proposal for artist names from different sites, link each site.  
"DA":http://someartist.deviantart.com
DA

-> New DA name? Link to the old DA  
"Old DA":http://someartistoldname.deviantart.com
Old DA

-> Putting this all together:  
`”artist:someartistoldname”:/tags/artist-colon-someartistoldname -> “artist:someartist”:/tags/artist-colon-someartist

If you’re suggesting an alias consisting of about 5 images total, then it might be easier to just retag them manually to the big target instead of aliasing.

Old thread can be found here.

ADDENDUM: WHAT DOES ALIASING DO - A PRACTICAL EXAMPLE  
Suppose there are two tags, twilight sparkle and ts, and we are going to alias ts -> twilight sparkle (notice the direction of the arrow!). It does the following:  
  • On image pages and thumbnails mouseovers, only twilight sparkle will be shown  
  • The /tags/ page for ts will redirect to the /tags/ page for twilight sparkle  
  • The /tags/ page for twilight sparkle will show that ts is an alias for it  
  • If you search for twilight sparkle it will show pictures tagged twilight sparkle  
  • If you search for ts it will show pictures tagged twilight sparkle  
  • If you tag a picture with ts and click “Save Tags and Source”, the system will change it to twilight sparkle  
  • When they are aliased, watchlists, filters, and currently tagged images will also be updated automatically.

Substitute ts and twilight sparkle with whatever is relevant, just take notice of the direction of the arrow!

UPDATE: JULY 2016  
    Please do not submit more than five alias requests per post. If you have more than five aliases to suggest, please make multiple posts. This is due to the way the system processes aliases - since there’s a time delay between entering aliases, a post with many alias requests can easily take over an hour to complete.
Liggliluff
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Sorta pre-emptive, though I’ve seen peeps upload stuff from his tumblr and tag it “artist:jwh33zy”.

This Tumblr named ‘jwh33zy’ in the address, is named ‘glue123’ in the header. so I would call this confirmed.

artist:jwh33zy (0) → artist:glue123 (33)

But as there’s zero uploads on his old name?… is this necessary?
Background Pony #C594
@Liggliluff  
That’s why I said pre-emptive. People usually tag it glue123 but sometimes I find em tagged with the tumble name and change it to glue123, hence zero entries on artist:jwh33zy right now.
barbeque
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

@Background Pony  
As long as there’s no other artist (that is actually a different artist) sharing the same name, preemptive aliasing like this isn’t really a problem. God I remember when a dA artist didn’t have one of their (very old) names aliased, helloooo dupes.

That aside, the linking really helps. Apart from one or two I already did during the week, I just did 5 days worth of tag aliases* in the time I could normally do 1, maybe 2 days at best.  
  • = except the humanized one since I don’t know a lot about it. Some other mod will (should) look into that one when they have time.
Vercci
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In response to actions taken regarding this post

I think the idea to alias ‘human on pony action’ and ‘pony on human action’ was a big mistake. As I’ve already explained in the post, the two tags were by consensus, used to specify two different things.

Those two things could not be defined by a search of multiple tags, and now you’ve effectively denied people the ability to either find, or remove the specific content they may want regarding the two tags. There was no problem with the tags before dt decided to stick his fucking dick into it, and now we’ve got a tag with content in it that people searching for ‘human on pony action’ don’t want, and I don’t even want to think of the headache someone searching for ‘pony on human action’ has to do now.

If not undone soon, I will not be surprised if another tag will be created to replace ‘pony on human action’. If it comes to that, I just hope that it makes itself so blatantly, politically correctly obvious that someone doesn’t try to alias it again.
barbeque
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

@Vercci  
I have not set this implication (nor an alias, or anything) on these tags. I did make a post in the Tag Implications to ask whether that thread is TSP’s like this one is ‘mine’, but given the lack of response I’m starting to doubt if that thread is being monitored at all.

I’m guessing it was TSP (or possibly Wingbeat) that set things on those tags (hence I’m not undoing them for they probably had a reason); have you tried PM’ing them?

@Grieffon  
Hmmm… Hmmmmm… I’d have left it at crenair ages ago, but given dA is like his main medium, I guess here we go again… Seriously though:  
xaztein -> crenair -> clasherz -> cerraka  
Yeah I totally didn’t put that in so that if the artist googles his old names I hope he’ll see this thread. And then he’ll probably change again anyway, but I’m getting dangerously close to just aliasing all of it to xaztein.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Replaced by tagging forum