Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Background Pony #1057
Do I interpret this change (“fix tag slug double encoding”) correctly, that:
  • Tags whose first use came before that commit will have characters treated differently than tags whose first use came after that change? eg.
  • There’s no way to compute client-side the correct link to an arbitrary tag (not counting somehow getting a cache of every legacy tag, not an approach I’m interested in limited to only tags with special characters, it wasn’t too bad, about 1MB)?
    • An API request would therefore be necessary to create a tag link from a typed-in tag name?
…given that hyperlinks to a tag page must match the slug in the database or else they break (eg. you cannot link to applejack%27s+hat nor izzy%2527s+tennis+ball)
Is that right?
This post was brought to you by: me trying to make a userscript to insert tag links, feeling clever when I noticed that they were double encoded, then feeling confused when not every link worked.
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
So, some of you may have noticed that the site has been much faster lately. This is because we’ve finally moved to a new server. We have many more opportunities to implement more demanding features, because even at peak hours our average CPU usage is merely 8-10%. If you made any feature suggestions, now would be an excellent time to bump them in this thread or on GitHub (this one if your feature applies to Philomena software in general and could be of use on Furbooru as well, or this one if it is Derpibooru-specific or pony-themed).
Additionally, the site is now much cheaper to run. New totals will be reflected on our donation pages once we get through the latest bills and can put an exact number on our costs of operation.
Background Pony #2771
@Princess Celestia
Great! Thank you.
Now we need to think of ways to retroactively fill this data for old images. Perhaps we could reuse data from other boorus that do support multiple sources? I also wonder how hard would it be to (semi-?)automatically analyze Derpibooru descriptions and comments to find alternate sources posted there?
JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
@Background Pony #2771
I’ve seen people putting multiple URLs in the (one) source box. Try this search. Many of them are internet archive URLs and they naturally contain multiple http parts, but with further filtering, “proper” multi-URL images could be found. Those URLs can be split, but it’s a tedious task.
Princess Celestia

Administrator
Devops
For our future feature development, we’ve increased the minimum required browser to around late-2017 release date. This is based on the features we use, and the fact that the overwhelming majority of users nowadays run browsers that support all of these features. This translates to a table like this:
Browser Minimum Supported Version Date
Chrome 58 April 19, 2017
Chrome (Android) 113* N/A (minimum version unknown)
Edge 16 October 17, 2017
Safari (macOS) 11 September 19, 2017
Safari (iOS) 11 September 19, 2017
Firefox 54 March 7, 2017
Firefox (Android) 113* N/A (minimum version unknown)
Opera: 44 December 13, 2016
Opera Mobile 73* N/A (minimum version unknown)
Opera Mini Not Supported N/A
Internet Explorer Not Supported N/A
Samsung Internet 6.2 October 31, 2017
UC Browser (Android) 13.4* (?) N/A (minimum version unknown)
Android Browser 113* N/A (minimum version unknown)
QQ Browser 13.1* (?) N/A (minimum version unknown)
Baidu Browser 13.18* (?) N/A (minimum version unknown)
KaiOS Browser 3.1* (?) N/A (minimum version unknown)
* Current version. Minimum supported version is unknown.
(?) Support status not fully known as relevant information is missing.
The list may be partially incorrect. It was built based on data from https://caniuse.com/, the relevant features tested for were:
  • CSS Variables (Custom Properties)
  • CSS Grid
  • ECMAScript 2015 (ES6) (in its entirety)
  • ECMAScript 2016 (ES7)
    • Array.prototype.includes
    • ** operator
  • ECMAScript 2017 (ES8)
    • Object.values
    • Object.entries
    • Async functions
  • CustomEvent
  • Fetch
  • Element.closest
These will be used extensively by the redesign, and in order to simplify our asset delivery pipeline we’re refusing to transpile code that 96%+ of browsers users actually use natively support to ES5 for the sake of a few utterly insecure, outdated browsers. Update your OS (or use Linux if you’re bothered by spyware or your old computer is a potato, you’ll probably have a much better experience anyhow).
Thank you for understanding.
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
Ooh, boxes.
I’m wondering if
Allow the image description and tags to be collapsed. The <details> HTML element would be perfect for this. They could be open by default, but you can collapse them when needed.
could be implemented with the new design? div.block could be <details> and div.block__header could be <summary>.
Princess Celestia

Administrator
Devops
@JP
We’ll see if it fits in a design language similar to this:
(this is a very rough sketch i made in element editor in 1 minute and is not representative of the final design)
Moonlight Bloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Thinking about this as objectively as I can.
Old description box was better. Felt more tied to the image as it should be, rather than being segregated as this “extra” thing.
However, the new tag and source boxes are fine, except the edit and history buttons should go back to the top of the tags as they’ve always been. Though, source often being one link maybe makes it having its own box be a little obtuse? I’m on the fence as to whether tags & source should just be one combined “blue bar” section.
Additionally, perhaps add the blue bar to “Comments” too? That way said blue bar would actually act as section headers.
Thus:
Top bar (Site header)
Vote bar (Image & description header)
Tag (and maybe Source) header
Source header (if not part of Tags)
Comments header
Moonlight Bloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Oooh, good point.
Your screenshot also drew my attention to another problem with the new description box:
The old one almost felt invisible when there was no description.
The new one still has a visually loud presence regardless of a description actually being there. Makes it harder to tell when there actually is a description or not.

Thus, I stand by my initial reaction that the old description box is better.
Luna
Luna - For Patreon supporters
Woona - Derpi Supporter
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Luna Best Pony~
@Moonlight Bloom
I’ve sent the concept of the actual redesign earlier in this thread. Would that be a satisfactory resolution to your complaint? If so, then just wait for the redesign.
Moonlight Bloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Oh I thought that was a prototype to this.
Huh.
I’d ask why we don’t just have that to begin with, but there’s probably a technical reason, so meh.
I can deal with the current style for a while if it means things will eventually look a bit more like yesterday’s design again, (just with today’s section titles, which genuinely are a nice addition).
Also, despite it not being the focus, there seems to be a nice balance of rounded and non-rounded corners on that redesign image.
Luna
Luna - For Patreon supporters
Woona - Derpi Supporter
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Luna Best Pony~
@Moonlight Bloom
They will be all rounded, the redesigned design language is all about rounded corners (there will be an option to disable rounding).
Well the reason for starters is that there will be a complete site redesign and it’s already planned out fairly far. The site is still on the old design and I have to work around that. I’ll try to get the redesign done as soon as possible but it’ll be months before it’s deployed full-time.
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@Shimmering Spectacle
Will move the buttons back to headers but as explicit buttons rather than clickable titles. I’m all about being explicit these days.
That’s good. I just noticed the tag hovers are constantly in the way then I try to reach the tag history button. I basically have to circle the mouse cursor around the tag box to reach the button, without accidentally spoilering or hiding some tag. It’s annoying.
I guess the <details> element won’t work then, but eh.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide