The 2022 Community Collab has begun! Join in for round six of our massive group collaboration image! Click here for more information

Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Background Pony #1057
@byte[]
Would love it if they could all fetch/scrape and automatically keep whichever file has the best properties.
Background Pony #823D
wget
I did not say I use wget. But not having the ability to directly download an image, or link them to somewhere (eg in a post) isn’t great.
And I also don’t get why would the object storage mess up this feature. In html it is possible to assign a filename to any arbitrary url without javascript. And some object storage services can expose custom uris (filenames) too IIRC.
CDN caching
Yes you can take advantage of it. Cloudflare supports url rewriting, then caching the new uri.
Also who cares if the CDN has to pull the same image 3 times for 3 different urls? It will cache all 3.
egress-free
It is now. Until they decide that enough people are locked into their ecosystem.
And also, do you really think that for 10$ a month is reasonable for 1TB of data plus unlimited egress? I sure don’t. They are operating at a loss to lure in more users. Why does S3 or azure blob storage costs 2 times as much plus charges for egress?
who will pay for the upfront cost of that?
Where did the money gone from patreon/etc?
Yes owing your own hardware definitely costs a lot upfront. Yes its definitely needs work to put it together/manage it. More than the cloud for sure. And it will get obsolete/have to upgrade etc. It definitely can’t have two times the performance suddenly when needed. Colocation is not free.
But you know what you are not paying for? Cloud services. And also owning your own hardware does not mean you can’t use cloud services if you have scalability problems. You can just as well treat your own hardware as “another vm in the cloud” as any other vm in the cloud.
And in 5 years you would pay more in cloud services than the machine(s) anyway, so upgrading/throwing away is basically “free”.
Been there, done that.
And don’t forget to factor in that one more dependency on external services is one more thing what can break.
byte[]
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
In html it is possible to assign a filename to any arbitrary url without javascript
Only if the download is not cross-origin, for fucking braindead reasons
Cloudflare supports url rewriting
Doesn’t support changing response headers, which is the important bit
Until they decide that enough people are locked into their ecosystem.
3-2-1 rule
[…] do you really think that for 10$ a month is reasonable for 1TB of data plus unlimited egress? I sure don’t. They are operating at a loss to lure in more users. Why does S3 or azure blob storage costs 2 times as much plus charges for egress?
Do you understand how ISP billing works? Like at a datacenter level? If you are buying terabits per second, you don’t pay for stock (bits transferred in a given time period), you pay either for committed links or on a rolling 95th percentile basis of usage.
The fact that AWS and Azure and GCP are overcharging the crap out of their customers is pretty obvious because if you get an OVH box in Virginia (and they are a much smaller company), you can egress 1Gbps continuously for as little as $80, which would literally cost you tens of thousands of dollars on AWS.
Not to mention that Cloudflare doesn’t have to pay for most of their bandwidth, since they peer something like 80% of their traffic, and peering is free for the parties involved. Amazon has lots of peers too, but bandwidth is fundamentally a part of their pricing model, in a way that it never was for Cloudflare.
Scaleway’s offering has been the same for basically as long as it’s existed, so there is always that as a fallback if R2 does not prove cost-effective.
But you know what you are not paying for? Cloud services.
Yes, this is the unfortunate reality. In general, I would prefer to never have scaling problems too, and not have to deal with terrible failure modes like network partitions, but there are just not many cost-effective ways for a site like this to deal with the amount of load it users put it under and the price those users are willing to pay, so the cost savings have to come from using bulk-provisioned services. Object storage is one of those that just makes more sense with an increasing number of files because it gives you flexibility in choosing everything else to your needs.
Background Pony #9FAB
@byte[]
When Object Storage is deleted due to ToS, how long the site will be down, or there’s an automatic fallback?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Derpibooru costs over $25 a day to operate - help support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide