Viewing last 25 versions of post by Background Pony #1057 in topic Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Background Pony #1057
Do I interpret this change (["fix tag slug double encoding"](https://github.com/philomena-dev/philomena/commit/54e775a6c6bf3d40b469ed91a167ccdf8c27f7f7)) correctly, that:
- Tags whose first use came before that commit will have characters treated differently than tags whose first use came after that change? eg.
- older tag using apostrophe: [applejack%2527s+hat](/tags/applejack%2527s+hat)
- newer tag using apostrophe: [izzy%27s+tennis+ball](/tags/izzy%27s+tennis+ball)
- There's no way to compute client-side the correct link to an arbitrary tag (not counting somehow getting a cache of every legacy tag, ~~not an approach I'm interested in~~ *limited to only tags with special characters, it wasn't too bad, about 1MB*)?
- An API request would therefore be necessary to create a tag link from a typed-in tag name?

...given that hyperlinks to a tag page must match the slug in the database or else they break (eg. you cannot link to [applejack%27s+hat](/tags/applejack%27s+hat) nor [izzy%2527s+tennis+ball](/tags/izzy%2527s+tennis+ball))

Is that right?

*This post was brought to you by:* me trying to make a userscript to insert tag links, feeling clever when I noticed that they were double encoded, then feeling confused when not every link worked.
>>1134041s
No reason given
Edited by Background Pony #1057
Background Pony #1057
Do I interpret this change (["fix tag slug double encoding"](https://github.com/philomena-dev/philomena/commit/54e775a6c6bf3d40b469ed91a167ccdf8c27f7f7)) correctly, that:
- Tags whose first use came before that commit will have characters treated differently than tags whose first use came after that change? eg.
- older tag using apostrophe: [applejack%2527s+hat](/tags/applejack%2527s+hat)
- newer tag using apostrophe: [izzy%27s+tennis+ball](/tags/izzy%27s+tennis+ball)
- There's no way to compute client-side the correct link to an arbitrary tag (not counting somehow getting a cache of every legacy tag, not an approach I'm interested in)?
- An API request would therefore be necessary to create a tag link from a typed-in tag name?

...given also:
- T
that hyperlinks to a tag page must match the slug in the database or else they break (eg. you cannot link to [applejack%27s+hat](/tags/applejack%27s+hat) nor [izzy%2527s+tennis+ball](/tags/izzy%2527s+tennis+ball))
- That you can interchange them if hyperlinking to a *search* (eg. [search for applejack%27s+hat](/search?q=applejack%27s+hat)) but this fails for tags with 0 images whereas directly visiting the tag page shows that the tag is known

Is that right?

*This post was brought to you by:* me trying to make a userscript to insert tag links, feeling clever when I noticed that they were double encoded, then feeling confused when not every link worked.
>>1134041s
No reason given
Edited by Background Pony #1057